Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: So...

Ascendant

The fact that every planet i go to is bigger than RIFT is disappointing lol.

King of RIFT

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlebox View Post
    This is absolutely the case (except Huttball. I love Huttball. It's also great playing your guildies if the queues work out that way.)

There is huge lag in abilities. I don't get any responsive feedback when I use an ability. I had to turn ability queue off because it alleviated it somewhat. Raid Frames still don't work all the time and healers have resorted to clicking on the people their pocket healing to verify that the Raid Frames is correct in saying that the person has full health. Whenever I log into Rift by chance, I just can't get over how smooth and fluid it is.

But at the same time. It's new. It's fresh. It's got content. And at the very, very, very least. They have publicly stated that they are invested in the PvP side of the game. That is something that Trion has never, ever done.

The most heartbreaking thing is that Rift has a platform superior for PvP than ToR in almost every single way. They just didn't expand on it fast enough. And I'm fairly convinced that it's too late. Too many great, good, average, and bad but enthusiastic PvPers have left this game. I don't know if it's salvageable at this point.
    From the people I've talked to it seems the ability response is much more noticeable if you're playing a melee character. Maybe it's the precise timing needed between instants compared to channeling, but I've heard quite a few people say they won't be PvPing until it's fixed.

Rift feels so natural to me, hearing things like this about a game that is supposedly "superior" makes me not even interested in purchasing it. I mean honestly, a month from now when the gleam of playing something new and swinging around a lightsaber wears off, will people still be actively PvPing in SWTOR?
    Saved@Briarcliff
    I play a Mage, just throwing it out there.

The ability que is a little weird but commin from rift it will be because of the spammy nature skills work in game. I find my melee character works more like a feral cat or rogue from wow where it takes more patience as well as finese to work ur abilities. On my assassin at first I didn't realize how the abilities worked and that each one is a double or triple hit that are my main attacks. I turned off ability que as well and just count inbtween abilities I find saying to myself one mississippi between using abilities lines up the hits very well. Swtor is really fun and mostly atleast in my opinion its because its new as in different world were rift is like another wow swtor is another genra (that def mispelled) so it dosent feel like the same old ridng mounts or fighting mythical beasts that's what makes it fun. Plus the same faction bg's is awesome and maks ques much faster. The best part is pvp is a truly viable way to level gear up and make money. The skill trees still can't reach rifts level of polish but othr then that its awesome.
    Last edited by Scarybadlady; 12-23-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    ...In for a penny in for a pound...

Quote Originally Posted by lmprov View Post
    From the people I've talked to it seems the ability response is much more noticeable if you're playing a melee character. Maybe it's the precise timing needed between instants compared to channeling, but I've heard quite a few people say they won't be PvPing until it's fixed.

Rift feels so natural to me, hearing things like this about a game that is supposedly "superior" makes me not even interested in purchasing it. I mean honestly, a month from now when the gleam of playing something new and swinging around a lightsaber wears off, will people still be actively PvPing in SWTOR?
    Yeah, I'm a Jedi Sentinel, which I guess is a Rogue/Warrior hybrid. So I know exactly what they're talking about. I kinda have a good feel for it now, so it's not too bad lately. You just have to have ability queue off and mash everything multiple times to make sure it fires when you want it to. It can be frustrating though. Say, a Rogue running spec is running right by me with a stone. All I would need to do is press 5 once to get the Leg Sweep off to snare. In ToR it's 5555555555555. And I'll be lucky if it lands despite the mashing.

The netcode is funny when things are moving. For example. Ragestorm and Sweeping Strikes have always been amazingly responsive. I could charge in, move a few steps in either direction to hit as many people as possible, press 3 for Ragestorm/Sweeping, and while the animation is going off I can move a few meters in any direction to adjust and hit more people, and then the spell fires, lands, and I see pretty numbers.

That type of fluid motion isn't the case in ToR. I have to be stationary when the animation for Force Sweep is going off. I can't move while doing it too much or else the damage won't register.

PvE ftw you silly ****ers. You can't get my awesome flaming Inferno from a ****ty warfront.

Also gotta say rift pvp forums are my favorite community ever. That's another thing I really hate about giving up along with the game itself. These forums are really tight and I feel like I'm arguing with friends rather then strangers. Gotta say I don't think ne game will have forums like this.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Scarybadlady View Post
    The ability que is a little weird but commin from rift it will be because of the spammy nature skills work in game. I find my melee character works more like a feral cat or rogue from wow where it takes more patience as well as finese to work ur abilities. On my assassin at first I didn't realize how the abilities worked and that each one is a double or triple hit that are my main attacks. I turned off ability que as well and just count inbtween abilities I find saying to myself one mississippi between using abilities lines up the hits very well. Swtor is really fun and mostly atleast in my opinion its because its new as in different world were rift is like another wow swtor is another genra (that def mispelled) so it dosent feel like the same old ridng mounts or fighting mythical beasts that's what makes it fun. Plus the same faction bg's is awesome and maks ques much faster. The best part is pvp is a truly viable way to level gear up and make money. The skill trees still can't reach rifts level of polish but othr then that its awesome.
    The fact that there are no macros makes real skill shine. I have been accused of spamming the 1 key in all my videos. In this game i have like 20 keybindings lol. And you are right about timing your abilities. If you spam the ability it glitches your character animations. If you press it once, the ability comes out fine.

King of RIFT

Quote Originally Posted by kaspurtz View Post
    The fact that there are no macros makes real skill shine. I have been accused of spamming the 1 key in all my videos. In this game i have like 20 keybindings lol. And you are right about timing your abilities. If you spam the ability it glitches your character animations. If you press it once, the ability comes out fine.
    I HATE how they only give you 2 action bars, considering nothing is macroable.

I have abilities running up the left and right side of my screen at this pt.
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

Ascendant

Very whack indeed.....this thread is going to get moved to off topic. See you there!

King of RIFT

Ugh so true I'm almost out of space before level 20. Thatgs gonna be a issue at max level I'm expectin to just not use certain spells. Hopefully swtor gets the love from the addon guys that rift didn't cause I def need atleast the razer naga bar addon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cromagis View Post
    Star wars pvp is the most clunky piece of junk I've ever seen.

I love Rift a lot but it's physics aren't that good either. Terrible clunky movement in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    I love Rift a lot but it's physics aren't that good either. Terrible clunky movement in Rift.
    The one animation in rift I hate is on my mount it doesn't follow the ground so any difference in ground level makes my mount jump.

I defnately agree that no macros let's good playrs shine. I am def guilty of spmming 1 key on my shman spec. Its nice thou having to adjust my playstyle makes the games feel all a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by lmprov View Post
    From what I've heard Huttball is the only Red v. Blue WZ and people are already tired of playing it 3 days into launch because Empire outnumbers the Republic so vastly that 8/10 games end up being Huttball.

I've also heard that skill responsiveness is so bad it's almost gamebreaking. Having to wait extra time for a skill to actually go off, if it goes off at all. Doesn't sound like something I'd be endorsing. Which is why if I do play SWTOR, it probably won't be for another month or so, till all these ridiculously bad glitches and clear PvP short-comings are addressed. And if they're not, then there is zero reason to invest in the game.
    it's true and that's exactly how it was 2 months ago in beta when i played for a week then uninstalled.

Default PvP pros and cons

(copied and pasted for entertainment purposes only)
    My take from a PvP standpoint on a lower level character:

S 1) No macros makes mastering more difficult with higher 'skill' curve
    = 2) Fights last about as long. Harder to isolate who the biggest threat is.
    S 3) Healers die...frequently. DPS vs Healer depends on cooldowns. Tanks matter (much like Subdue, only better).
    R 4) The movement/flow of the game seems faster and a bit less smooth than Rift, which is partly a product of the UI which seems to me just a bit 'zoomed in'. Harder to be aware of the whole area.
    R 5) The arenas seem a lot more blocky and ridged than Rift. Rift seemed to flow a bit better.
    S 6) No matter what class or spec you play in SWTOR, you have the potential to be a HUGE impact if you're talented.
    S 7) You can walk into matches in your teens and dominate baddies over 20+ levels higher. The normalization from 1-49 is NICE...much like the first 49 levels of Rift. This is gold.
    R 8) The skill-trees and class decisions are more in stone than Rift, Rift had more flexibility.
    S 9) The skills in SWTOR seem to matter more. Each one.
    R 10) Can't really customize the UI in SWTOR nearly as well. Not a terrible UI though.
    S 11) Companions....actually a great concept.
    S 12) Only three WFs...random. But their open fighting planet with objectives=win
    S 13) A lot more CC in SWTOR with an elegant CC solution.
    R 14) Rift has better forum/server communities atm.
    S 15) Many many people playing SWTOR.
    R 16) Rift's gameplay is more fluid (animations)

Virchow
    Affinity - 16 Jedi Sage

I played TOR in Beta.

Didn't care for it much, but I think I might be forced to jump over. Been Guildless and chasing Affinity around since Molinar so I had some people to compete with. Now everyone is gone. Not going to lie I xferred to Derpstrike two weeks ago and haven't logged on since
    "You lost me at Balance"

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast