+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: is possible?

  1. #1
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    92

    Default is possible?

    I have pvp'd in battle grounds for years; I pick the ones most like pve encounters;
    I live in the boonies with a slower dsl than most folks in the cities;
    I am NOT good at arena style pvp because it takes me a long time (REALLY long) to work through and learn the rotations and settle into a workable routine;
    I pvp in warfronts because the gear is very good, and "sometimes" I luck upon a fair fight;
    Most of the time, I am farmed by players who:
    1-out-rank me severely, and
    2-are from pvp servers and are vastly more experienced in that style of play (I'm from a pve server).
    Being good at pvp is a very different skill set from pve. Right now, my 15% bonuses are being chewed up by pre-mades that are dominating the server mixes in the WF's, and I also wonder how a rogue can "speed-jump" 5 times across the map in Whitefall in under 30 seconds.
    Anyway to separate the pvp realms from the pve realms in the WF's?

  2. #2
    Ascendant Zaros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,411

    Default

    I do fine. Ask anyone in the Deepstrike group.
    ~Quiescent

  3. #3
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    92

    Default

    well, when my level 4 comes up against a pre-made of level 7's and 8's, it's impossible to do anything, much less to do "fine".

  4. #4
    Qia
    Qia is offline
    Champion of Telara Qia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    PvP gear has the highest impact.
    If you are below Prestige Rank 6, then your contribution to a warfront is minimal (except flag capturing and similiar non-pvp actions).
    Everyone saying otherwise is lying to themself.
    Ip

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qia View Post
    PvP gear has the highest impact.
    If you are below Prestige Rank 6, then your contribution to a warfront is minimal (except flag capturing and similiar non-pvp actions).
    Everyone saying otherwise is lying to themself.
    So you mean those times I have won Lilbrary cause some low ranks were the ones holding the runes, we really didnt win cause of them? Was it cause of the ranks 8s running around like headless chickens?
    Your logic is so flaw its not even funny. I have lost heaps of games where my side was destroying by far on the healing and damage, cause no one was aiming for what they were meant to. But go my mage sometimes getting top healer.. oh wait Im not rank 8, nvm I dont count as a player.

  6. #6
    Qia
    Qia is offline
    Champion of Telara Qia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamashii View Post
    So you mean those times I have won Lilbrary cause some low ranks were the ones holding the runes, we really didnt win cause of them? Was it cause of the ranks 8s running around like headless chickens?
    Your logic is so flaw its not even funny. I have lost heaps of games where my side was destroying by far on the healing and damage, cause no one was aiming for what they were meant to. But go my mage sometimes getting top healer.. oh wait Im not rank 8, nvm I dont count as a player.
    Whatever makes you believe that Prestige Rank 8 is balanced.
    If the other team actually had Rank 8 players you would just lose, because below Rank 6 is useless in anything except being a nobody.

    People can see winning in 2 ways (library example):
    1.) You win 1000 vs 500. They have 100 kills, you have 3 kills. They get 4k Favor, you get 2k Favor.
    2.) You lose 500 vs 1000. You have 100 kills, they have 3 kills. They have 2k Favor, you get 4k Favor.
    Who is the winner?
    Last edited by Qia; 12-23-2011 at 03:47 AM.
    Ip

  7. #7
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qia View Post
    Whatever makes you believe that Prestige Rank 8 is balanced.
    If the other team actually had Rank 8 players you would just lose, because below Rank 6 is useless in anything except being a nobody.

    People can see winning in 2 ways (library example):
    1.) You win 1000 vs 500. They have 100 kills, you have 3 kills. They get 4k Favor, you get 2k Favor.
    2.) You lose 500 vs 1000. You have 100 kills, they have 3 kills. They have 2k Favor, you get 4k Favor.
    Who is the winner?
    you stop caring about favor when you've geared up your r8.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  8. #8
    Qia
    Qia is offline
    Champion of Telara Qia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    you stop caring about favor when you've geared up your r8.
    I know.
    I would say most Rank 8 players don't even care about winning and care more about kills (basing this on me and other Rank 8 players that I've seen).
    Ip

  9. #9
    Ascendant Zaros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qia View Post
    I know.
    I would say most Rank 8 players don't even care about winning and care more about kills (basing this on me and other Rank 8 players that I've seen).
    Amount of favor earned from winning a Scion: 2k.
    Amount of favor earned from losing/killing a Scion: 4k.

    Watching the P3s scream in /raid to run shards as I go on 52-0: Priceless.
    ~Quiescent

  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qia View Post
    I know.
    I would say most Rank 8 players don't even care about winning and care more about kills (basing this on me and other Rank 8 players that I've seen).
    That's part of what I'm talking about: that the high rank, expert pvp'ers are ruining things for the lower ranked pve players. They DON'T try to win; they just farm. The WF's drag on forever.

    I know they're good; I know their gear is good. That combines to ruin my time trying to level because I get nothing. Qia has been right on the mark as far as I can see; I just don't know if there is any solution for me but TONS of misery X2 for each of my main toons to rank up.

    For craps sake: give them something else to do!

  11. #11
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qia View Post
    PvP gear has the highest impact.
    If you are below Prestige Rank 6, then your contribution to a warfront is minimal (except flag capturing and similiar non-pvp actions).
    Everyone saying otherwise is lying to themself.
    I've seen some awesome healers sway games at Rank 4 and other people who realize you can contribute a lot with support. And I was in a WF earlier with someone at R5 who was a pretty damn good DPS.

    Depends on your expectations, too. If you come in with like 4.5k health it's not going to be a fun time. But I've seen people stuff their planar focus with End gems and get up there in health at lower ranks...better to survive and still cast/attack than to have more SP/AP and you're dead all the time.

  12. #12
    Champion Cime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    594

    Default

    I like to win. It helps me keep my stock up on recon potions...
    But at least we can get married now!
    I'll be fishing in Codex...
    Nobodi - R8 Mage Defiant Deepwood
    Somebodi - 19 Rogue Guardian Deepwood (twink wannabe)

  13. #13
    Qia
    Qia is offline
    Champion of Telara Qia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSeoul View Post
    I've seen some awesome healers sway games at Rank 4 and other people who realize you can contribute a lot with support. And I was in a WF earlier with someone at R5 who was a pretty damn good DPS.

    Depends on your expectations, too. If you come in with like 4.5k health it's not going to be a fun time. But I've seen people stuff their planar focus with End gems and get up there in health at lower ranks...better to survive and still cast/attack than to have more SP/AP and you're dead all the time.
    Support, support, support...
    A lame excuse for an imbalance.
    Ip

  14. #14
    Ascendant Soul sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,123

    Default

    I would say I'm exceptional at pvp... I'm from a PvE shard and have little experience from MMO's of this type. Some people are just naturally good and research their calling/specs to be the best they can. Others are lazy/naturally bad/don't have the right mindset for burst/pvp rotations/understanding of mechanics/not investing enough time. It has nothing to do with being from a pve or pvp shard, unlike many think.

    I know many of the best pvpers are outstanding at pve and vice versa. People who know and research their calling to maximise dps will generally have a fine idea of how to be effective in PvP. Vice versa - PvP experience grants you field awareness whilst maximising your tools available, these translate well into raiding.

    I used to get farmed and lose all of my games when I started... I wanted to reroll another calling, but decided to stick with it. Now I don't regret my decision and I know a good amount of Defiants just go all emo when I come to ruin their warfront.

    There's very little between gaining experience of pvp from a warfront or open world pvp

    tl;dr: Don't try to bypass your shortcomings down to 'but im from a pve shard!'
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

  15. #15
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnnCee View Post
    I have pvp'd in battle grounds for years; I pick the ones most like pve encounters;
    I live in the boonies with a slower dsl than most folks in the cities;
    I am NOT good at arena style pvp because it takes me a long time (REALLY long) to work through and learn the rotations and settle into a workable routine;
    I pvp in warfronts because the gear is very good, and "sometimes" I luck upon a fair fight;
    Most of the time, I am farmed by players who:
    1-out-rank me severely, and
    2-are from pvp servers and are vastly more experienced in that style of play (I'm from a pve server).
    Being good at pvp is a very different skill set from pve. Right now, my 15% bonuses are being chewed up by pre-mades that are dominating the server mixes in the WF's, and I also wonder how a rogue can "speed-jump" 5 times across the map in Whitefall in under 30 seconds.
    Anyway to separate the pvp realms from the pve realms in the WF's?
    Thats the thing, pvp doesn't really have rotations. Just class familiarity, knowledge and situational awareness. Depends how you react from there. I don't think PvP servers have an advantage to skillsets in WF because WF's and open PvP are two quite different tones/approaches.

    As for a rogue blinking. They have 6 ports @ full spec, 1 of those ports will cause them to drop the flag. Two regular ports they can use to warp in front. Two damage abilities that port them to target (works with flag). and 1 port that breaks CC and ports behind the target of any person they target. That is your 5 ports. It's just super easy when a full team charges them cause it's like human rock climbing. Just keep hitting incoming targets and port to them. The range of all these ports is only 20m with 1 being only 15m and another iirc being extendable as long as 25m. The one that doesn't work can blink you up to 50m.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts