+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Wow, just hit 50 tonight, please put me back to L40! PvP is lame

Rift Disciple

Don't know what to tell you... I run a 38war/28sent/0 temp build and even when I was lower ranked it would take an army to kill me. Granted when being focused that much I'm barely contributing to anyone else if I am at all... The problem probably lies much deeper that gear and soul build. Like not having any GOOD pvp experience or situational awareness. [Edit]
    Last edited by Alyn; 12-22-2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: removed inappropriate comment

Rift Disciple

Being a cleric at low ranks sucks. You'll be marked and die a ton because no one will just ignore you like they will the low ranked rogue. On the upside, you will probably be slightly more useful than the low ranked rogue. Play for a bit, when you get tired of dieing, take a break. If you are chain losing in a wf, play a different one or take a break.

I'll second the idea to find a high ranked warrior and promise to be his pocket heals in exchange for some protection. Also, try to avoid being in the middle of the opposing team if you can.

(Ps - it gets better, but R8 warriors with Akylios weapons will still dump on you when you are R8. Also, its 1000x better than before when low ranked gear had less valor.)

Quote Originally Posted by Parfaite View Post
    Uh, as a P1 Bard I was doing insane heals and could change the tides of the games.
    You're grossly over-exaggerating.
    You JUST dinged 50, and you're already whining. Man-up.
    Yep.... at that level you have to step back, realize you're not rambo and do what you can to help the team. You're gonna get face rolled many times... stick together. Don't try to 1v1 some R8 beast and you'll be ok.
    <Coriolis>
    Archemys

Plane Touched

[Edit] I know Rift is not wow, but wow never had a class or match-up that could 1 shot someone for 94% health. If you were very good at your class yet under-geared you could even things out considerably. Rift thus far seems to be entirely gear based, entirely. The macro spam that's killing me is not skill based, they don't even CC, make me use cool-downs or ensure my spell reflection is blown before casting the dps spam for 4k, it's just not skill, it's gear and it's sad. No question in hagh ranked arenas in Wow you could never cast your best crit spell until the situation called for it and until you knew the targets specific cool-downs were shot, doing otherwise would cost you the match. I'm not a huge WoW fanboy, I like rift more infact, obviously .. im playing it. But overall the PvP system in WoW was considerably better then what I see right now in Rift.

On a side note, seems a little better today, we are still losing most matches, but I've only been 2 shot a couple of times. We will see how things pan out. I spent my last 37P on a crafted staff with 80 Valor on it, so at least I got an upgrade in that slot.
    Last edited by Alyn; 12-22-2011 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted content

Recon is my hero

Quote Originally Posted by motral View Post
    I expect to die and be squishy, I only have 5 valor items, its geared players that I can't even remotely help that concerns me, I pretty much feel almost useless, hindering rather then helping the cause. Don't act as though its my first rodeo either, 80,000 valor on the way up is a hell of a lot of matches, I know very well how to play my class .... my issue is that I want from very effective to just about useless in 1 level and I really don't feel like being a macro spam dps tool, I see plenty of those, its not my style.
    Just shy of 6 million favor between both of my toons. And my bud, Baramos/Tyrannicus has 300,000ish kills between his Cleric and his Rogue.

You still have alot to learn.

Trust me. With the gear, and if you're good, you'll be untouchable barring good CC trains on you.

The question is, is getting to that point worth the awful grind?
    Last edited by Puzzlebox; 12-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

Rift Chaser

The only issues I have ever had in warfronts is where my team is completely non-communicative [Edit] or the other team outgears us to the point where we all just stay in the spawn, because doing anything else would cause us to get insta killed.

The above happens pretty rarely on my cluster though. I'm a defiant on the seastone cluster.

Overall, I haven't had any issues ranking up as a cleric in level 50 warfronts. I played a pure aoe healer from rank 1 to rank 2, and started experimenting with builds that allow me to be moderately useful, even as a low rank cleric. I found that MASH is a great PvP build, even/especially at low ranks. Look it up.

Anyways, by using some strategies that most people in PvE-oriented MMORPGs don't of, such as kiting, LoSing, and overall surviving without being killed as often as possible, I have had very little issues, despite usually ending up in the top 3-5 on heals when I play pure heals (Sometimes when I play my MASH-esque build as well). I usually end up in the top 5 lowest damage taken out of 20-30 people... unless I am playing my MASH as a distractor. Then I end up in the top 5 damage taken. Being the only one to charge a whole group of P5+ range DPSers, and causing them to sacrifice ground and back up noticeably, is pretty funny, and it's really nice when my team does their job and destroys them and takes the objectives while I am distracting them.
    Last edited by Alyn; 12-22-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: removed inflammatory comment

This game's pvp sucks mainly due to the gear disparity. Once you get to P5+ its fine but you might as well put on your gimp suit and strap on the ball gag because P1-5 feels like spending a night with Zed.

And to anyone saying they topped charts as P1. Yea that is neat and all. Ain't too hard to sit in the back spamming hots or just spamming CoRs on overextenders. Do not act like you are gods gift to PvP and have worked around the bad gear system. The second anyone would look at you with your 400 valor and pass wind in your direction you die. Been there on my Cleric. No amount of positioning, pre kiting and juking is going to save you from anyone considering how easy it is to close a gap and how much a difference gear makes in this silly game.
    Last edited by Weakest; 12-21-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Guildwarstwo@Faeblight - Rogue
    Aesthetic@Faeblight - Mage
    Toms@Faeblight - Rogue
    Solemnity@Faeblight - Cleric
    Skill@Faeblight - Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Weakest View Post
    And to anyone saying they topped charts as P1. Yea that is neat and all. Ain't too hard to sit in the back spamming hots or just spamming CoRs on overextenders. Do not act like you are gods gift to PvP and have worked around the bad gear system. The second anyone would look at you with your 400 valor and pass wind in your direction you die. Been there on my Cleric. No amount of positioning, pre kiting and juking is going to save you from anyone considering how easy it is to close a gap and how much a difference gear makes in this silly game.
    You completely contradicted yourself mid-post.
    ~Quiescent

I believe my spec is fine http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...bszc.xEbkktRoz

Getting crit for 94% of your total health is not a L2P issue, I've been playing MMO's since Ultima Online (most of you are likely too young to even remember that game) I was a 2 season gladiator in WoW as a healing priest in 2's and 3's. I've been there, done that. This game isn't much different, just more macro's and a few more buttons. Admittedly I do not know the other classes nearly well enough yet, but the damage I'm seeing ... knowing whats coming would have little bearing.

This was my first night, and the more I read the more it sound like it's a broken (at least last night) match making system. I think we were repeatedly going up against a mostly R7-8 premade all night. I am going to drink a jack n coke and a 'vial' of [Edit] rank equalizer and give it another try here soon.
    Throw that spec out, you don't have the gear to support it. Low rank is ...different. Until you get the PVP soul look at something like

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10...o0xs.EEbtazRoz

Stack valor, get the pvp source engine, get the chest valor rune, pick up every piece of cheap valor you can, even 10 valor essences off the AH until you can afford to buy the pvp ones.
    Last edited by Alyn; 12-22-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Also..farm for Eth Trinket and see if your guild can do some GSB\RoS to pickup the relic weps from there until R6.

Telaran

its the damage output that concerns me, that's not going to change no matter my gear level. my healing will increase a touch, but no where near enough to be effective.
    That's where you are wrong.
    Don't make assumptions about something you haven't experienced and know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Weakest View Post
    This game's pvp sucks mainly due to the gear disparity. Once you get to P5+ its fine but you might as well put on your gimp suit and strap on the ball gag because P1-5 feels like spending a night with Zed.

He wants to heal.
    You help your team and HEAL by sitting in the back and HEALING.
    "No amount of positioning" really? cause I think thats how I managed one or two deaths max on my p1 rogue, and managed to get top healing done, and keep all my buffs up 24/7.

Your friendly hipster.
    http://rainygameslol.tumblr.com/

as people have pointed out..system is not perfect ...but it is a hundred fold better than it was pre 'new matching' system. You will still run into higher ranked people, but as a rank one try avoid anyone over 4k if trying to dps, or hang out with people 4k+ hp as healer, while only a general rule it tends to mean at lest rank 4-6+ gear
    Last edited by NzFox; 12-21-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parfaite View Post
    He wants to heal.
    You help your team and HEAL by sitting in the back and HEALING.
    "No amount of positioning" really? cause I think thats how I managed one or two deaths max on my p1 rogue, and managed to get top healing done, and keep all my buffs up 24/7.
    My p8 warrior luv any kind of healing even if its very little, throw a bard in the mix or even just partner up with one and my warrior destroys. It is going to be rough grinding but everyone goes through it kinda like hazing in a frat house or military, police... to think of it just about any where you go when your THE NEW GUY. JUst stick with it and it gets better OP, hell if you find a good team or partner they can return the favor, I know I try when a healer attaches to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast