+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: P8 Mage. Thoughts on Stormcaller.

  1. #1
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    600

    Default P8 Mage. Thoughts on Stormcaller.

    Instant icycle with guaranteed bonus crit damage was very, very stupid. I understand the need to compensate pve builds for the removal of building storm, but this had "pvp disaster" written all over it. I have no idea how it went live and even less idea how it wasn't hotfixed.

    That said: I'm easily the most vulnerable spec in all of PvP. My "control" focuses on snares and roots, which are pretty much useless against teleporting rogues/warriors and ranged specs (aka everyone). I have no passive dps in the form of shades or dots, and my heaviest hitter is a significant hard cast. My vulnerabilies to line of sight, silences, and simple cleanse spam frequently force me to abandon the spec. I have no healing and one crappy shield. Yes, I deplete life bars faster than anything else in this game. You know what the second fastest thing is? The rate at which my own health is depleted by basically anyone else.

    I'm supposed to burst people down, but it shouldn't be essentially one shot at an all-or-nothing kill. Rather, I should have multiple chances to blow up ~50% of someone's health (as opposed to 85-100%). This means toning down my burst and ratcheting up my ability to sustain myself in a fight.

    Remove instant icycle. It was a bad idea. Then figure out how to improve my defenses/survivability so that I'm not a 1-trick pony/nerf-post generating machine.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Am0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by handerhank View Post
    Instant icycle with guaranteed bonus crit damage was very, very stupid. I understand the need to compensate pve builds for the removal of building storm, but this had "pvp disaster" written all over it. I have no idea how it went live and even less idea how it wasn't hotfixed.

    That said: I'm easily the most vulnerable spec in all of PvP. My "control" focuses on snares and roots, which are pretty much useless against teleporting rogues/warriors and ranged specs (aka everyone). I have no passive dps in the form of shades or dots, and my heaviest hitter is a significant hard cast. My vulnerabilies to line of sight, silences, and simple cleanse spam frequently force me to abandon the spec. I have no healing and one crappy shield. Yes, I deplete life bars faster than anything else in this game. You know what the second fastest thing is? The rate at which my own health is depleted by basically anyone else.

    I'm supposed to burst people down, but it shouldn't be essentially one shot at an all-or-nothing kill. Rather, I should have multiple chances to blow up ~50% of someone's health (as opposed to 85-100%). This means toning down my burst and ratcheting up my ability to sustain myself in a fight.

    Remove instant icycle. It was a bad idea. Then figure out how to improve my defenses/survivability so that I'm not a 1-trick pony/nerf-post generating machine.
    Use different specs for different situations....

    No such thing as the perfect spec.
    "You lost me at Balance"

  3. #3
    Sword of Telara Feid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    881

    Default

    removing hte insta icecicle would just about kill dom/sc builds atm.
    Now known as Menthol of galena.
    my spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...uhcV.xxoAksqxk
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

  4. #4
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    Use different specs for different situations....

    No such thing as the perfect spec.
    Point is: there shouldn't be a spec that just bursts for 8k and then gets steamrolled in 3 seconds. That's horrible game balance.

    Of course you use different specs for different things. I have 5 pvp specs that run the gamut. But no one else has a "boom headshot" spec - not in the same league, anyways.

    I think they need to tone down the burst. I also think they need to improve the survivability. Doing both doesn't create "the perfect spec".

    I'm honestly not sure you read the post.
    Last edited by handerhank; 12-18-2011 at 10:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feid View Post
    removing hte insta icecicle would just about kill dom/sc builds atm.
    Dom pairs just fine with pyro and chloro at the moment, so I don't think we need to let the SC monster run free just so another dom hybrid will remain viable.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple lunatuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by handerhank View Post
    Point is: there shouldn't be a spec that just bursts for 8k and then gets steamrolled in 3 seconds.
    Sounds like the very definition of glass cannon.

  7. #7
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    229

    Default

    I'm with the OP that SC needs to have its damage toned down & its survival increased.
    Most all SCs I see in warfronts are absolutely horrible.....then there is the occassional SC that actually practiced & pays attention to the warfront....those are devastating to an entire raid.

    They can be killed in 5 seconds or less, but the better ones that use positioning can devastate multiple parties at the same time while nearly "1 shotting" players.

    Most posters seem to imply that "it's hard to build up the damage spike". I call BS on that. You don't have to spam your 3 electrified builders back to back when you acutally have up to 10 seconds between 1.5 second casts to build it (even Pyro/Doms will break attack chains to move pretty regularly)....and 2 instant casts (including a 2K+ guaranteed crit every 10 seconds)....and then a 2 second nuke that makes every other attack in this game seem tame (even Fulminate - the 51 point biggest single target attack in the game).

    SC isn't alone in being an OP build, these are the ones that come to my mind:
    SC/Inf (near 1 shots with LB, & AOEs strong enough to nearly wipe a group without additional AOE stacks from other players)
    Pyro/Dom (Crazy quick cast burst damage - Instant Sheep with 5 seconds of 1/2 cast time should be a 44+ point ability not 21)
    */RiftStalker (Burst & Mobility & Survivability = PVP - These builds rock)
    Pally/VK Warriors (Doesn't matter as much if your damage is weak if you just won't die....your a very strong DOT that never stops ticking away - takes about a full group to kill a decent one unless you happen to catch them with all the CDs down, or a MM that will spam Erradicate for 10 - 30 seconds straight)


    P.S. Trion, please don't nerf mages until mine hits Rank 6 :P (Too tired of Port Scion to finish that last weekend)

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Guess SC got nerfed today 30% dmg reduction in pvp for LB.
    SC fixed......survivability, what is that?

  9. #9
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    I'm even a rogue and it makes me die inside to see stuff like mage damage nerfs :/

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts