+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How to counter a storm caller.

Default How to counter a storm caller.

about me first.

I picked up rift in 1.5 the exact day the patch launched. and leveled my mage up first i used the 51 SCer spec at rank 4 untill r6.

during this time the spec was almost identicle to what it is now. minus the instant icicle and increase aoe dmg.

I shelved my SC spec when i relaized i needed more survivability and utility in my specs. i do however keep a 51 sc build handy for MASS aoe in situations.

currently im 100prestige from r8.

----------------------

Ill break this down into several sub sections first explaining the build/rotation/ and hard counters as well as stratetic ways to stop them.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...Aukrz.x.xx0R0c

This is the spec ive sued (there are variants other then this. yes, but this is the biggest culprit for mass dmg imho)
    variant -<a href="http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zyI0.EGoARAhzrz.x0z.xx0R0c">Stormcalle r (44) / Pyromancer (6) / Archmage (16)</a>

^ build offers a stormcaller more survivability + faster castings. % an additional 5% dmg INTAKE

<a href="http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1zy0z.EGqARAukrz.xx0M0c">Stormcaller (51) / Archmage (15) / Archon (0)</a>
    ^ is a build for the aoe (still very strong LB crits mind you)

-------------------------------------------
    Rotations
    --------------------------------------------
    The general startup for any Stormcaller will be Ragingstorm (or electrocute situation pending ) This is to get 3 stacks of electrify on you

next followed up shortly after you will have ice sheer applied to you. this again. is another debuff.

math time! before we continue on. Electrify per stack will increase air/water dmg by 10%
    Next- ice sheer(s) base debuff is 30% HOWEVER. talents in the stormcaller tree increase it by 4% per stack of elctrify on the target. making it a whopping 42$ increase in dmg.

30+42%= 72% dmg increase
    AT this point. 1 of 2 things will happen. a icicle or setup for Lightning burst IF the storm caller begins casting lightning burst they toggled on Static flux (this is another 20% dmg increase that can not be toggled on/off during casting like other mage spells ((interlaized charge from pyro as an example)))

math - at this point your already debuffed for 72% increased air/water dmg and the mage has turned on static flux. this is another 20% dmg increase)

92% dmg increase on the lightning burst.

AFTER lightning burst you will have a insta icicle cast upon you if the mage held on to it for this long.

This insta crit + burst is usually what kills people. IT IS VERY STRONG, yes. but now that you see the setup to it. lets explain how to counter it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

First and formost. To counter a stormcaller. you have to understand what the term LOS is.

LOS- line of sight, in rift. this is accomplished by a tree/rock/wall all you have to do is break the los from your target.

((you can also distance yourself i belive it is 50-60m before the LB will not cast)) so during the cast (any class with a speed boost here is a big hint) break your slow. and run away if you are unable to silence/interupt this spell.

^ are 2 basic concepts to understand if you wish to kill a stormcaller.
    ------------
    now for breaking down a stormcaller at their own game

cleanse. cleanse cleanse. i cannot put enough emphasis on this point each clense you take off 10% or 42% pending on which you get. (archons have the clense that takes 2 per stack off.)

So! during the setup(s) ((raging storm/electrocute) you will be rooted during this while your having 3 stacks applied to you. IF you are by your lonesome. and have 0 clenses or heals. pop your trinket. you do not want to just give them these 3 stacks.

- pop your trinket - run los untill the debuff wears off.

----------------

lets say ^ is not possible.take your 3 stacks + your ice sheer. (you know burst is coming soon) and you have a stun/silence? DONT CAST IT IN THE FIRST SECOUND OF SEEING LIGHTNING BURST. let them get 50-60% cast them cast your silence/stun this not only let you keep dps up on them for a extra GCD but also insured yourself extra dps depending on the duration of your silence/stun/interupt

One tactic alot of novic stormcallers do not utilize is the use of Ride the wind (explained below) with cloudburst on a full debuffed target. (watch for this it can quickly cause you to lose health while being kited because RTW allows you to gain charge while active)

-----------------------

Extras - the stormcallers Defensive CDs

Storm gaurd - consumes charge - reduces dmg by 15% APplies a stack of electrafied each time stuck. - if you see this be very weiry of attacking the stormcaller. you may jsut gib yourself nothing better to a stormcaller then seeing a dps smack them 3times (you just saved thema very important CD (raging storm) and allowed them to get instantly a ice sheer on you.

icy vortex- reduces dmg taken by 25% applies hypothermia. - hit the mage twice and you gain CC immunity. is about all i can say with this talent.

static barrier - when struck causes a knockback to the target up to 5 times. this can be applied. (most stormcallers do not rely on this at all. but its nice to know its there)

wind chill - causes hypothermia + a knockback.. this also casues immunity to CCs after cast. so once your hypo drops its a freebie unless the mage has made some distance.

Ride the wind - consumes charge - increases run speed by 50% - the SC'rs most importatnt skill and they best surviability tool. Snare them.

I hope this helps anyone having problems with the stormcaller builds.
    Now known as Menthol of galena.
    my spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...uhcV.xxoAksqxk
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

I hate to do this but:

So we have to learn all these, apply with precise timing and have best gear available to counter them? Meanwhile only thing they need to do is Google the build and get some gear?

Balanced for sure.

You got me at LoS. If your only option against a build is using 3D model mechanics, there's something not right there. I'd love to see people LoS in open, Whitefall, Library middle, Scion bridge...

That's where melee hangs around.

so as long as this build is alive, any melee who actually tries to melee is dead, huh?
    Nemrud@Zaviel Imperium
    The dwarf your momma warned you about.

But moving out of LoS and cleansing is too hard in this game, please nerf LB and SC's!
    <Retired>

Quote Originally Posted by Nemrud View Post
    I hate to do this but:

So we have to learn all these, apply with precise timing and have best gear available to counter them? Meanwhile only thing they need to do is Google the build and get some gear?

Balanced for sure.

You got me at LoS. If your only option against a build is using 3D model mechanics, there's something not right there. I'd love to see people LoS in open, Whitefall, Library middle, Scion bridge...

so as long as this build is alive, any melee who actually tries to melee is dead, huh?

if all you did was read to LOS. then you missed the goodness of the later part of the post. its ok . i can understand LOS is a very hard concept to understand.

once you get around that concept. comeback and read the rest of it. you might learn somthing.
    Last edited by Feid; 12-17-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemrud View Post
    I hate to do this but:

Balanced for sure.

Once again, work with your TEAM and have some of your ranged players counter the SCs. FFS Warfronts are about team work, not 1 v 1 soloing, but that's what this game is turning into.

I nullify all SCs I ever face, you should dedicate one of your guildies, or someone you queue with a lot to mark and stay on the SC and make them dead, it's not hard.
    <Retired>

Move around corner, stride left or right, attack/charge and attack.

You have successfully removed half of the hp of an SC in one attack, said SC will now run for dear life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    Move around corner, stride left or right, attack/charge and attack.

You have successfully removed half of the hp of an SC in one attack, said SC will now run for dear life.
    im curious if your being hostile twords me...
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

How to counter a Stormcaller.
    All I ever need.
    ~Quiescent

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    You can also just let them free cast and as the LBurst is going off IWINBUTTON, but yes Deaden is surely a better skill.
    Last edited by Swiftly; 12-17-2011 at 12:05 PM.

OP, are you implying that SC is hard to counter/is better than other specs?

Also, no i didnt read past the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Feid View Post
    im curious if your being hostile twords me...
    I thought i was flirting..

sorry.

Rift Chaser

I feel like this thread could've been so much shorter -

"How to counter a Stormcaller: Attack Them"
    Saved@Briarcliff
    I play a Mage, just throwing it out there.

no i am not implying a SCer is hard to play. nor counter. im giving up a simple Breakdown of how the skilsl work witheachother. and why the the outcomes are the way they are.

IMO it is very RUDE to comment without reading. considering the post contents.
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftly View Post
    You can also just let them free cast and as the LBurst is going off IWINBUTTON, but yes Deaden is surely a better skill.
    I was half expecting to see a link to Fan Out for some reason.
    <Retired>

Quote Originally Posted by lmprov View Post
    I feel like this thread could've been so much shorter -

"How to counter a Stormcaller: Attack Them"

short and sweet isnt always the best way to do a post. just sayin.

-----------

If you know how to counter a SCer thats fine and dandy. not everyone knows the interworksin of the class or anything of that nature (hence the mass ammount of QQ) trying to die some of the QQ down on the boards about Scers

the better informed you are. the better actions you can take.
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast