+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Idea to Bring R8s back to PvP

Rift Disciple

Default Idea to Bring R8s back to PvP

I enjoy PvP more than any part of Rift. Unfortunately, Once you hit R8, get all your gear, and get your Unseen planars, there is no incentive beyond fun to PvP. I think an easy (but granted short term) fix would be to extend the Warfront notoriety to Glorified and add better(gold) PvP planars and/or runes at each of the WF vendors. This would give the R8s some incentive to come back to PvP. More people in PvP=shorter queue times.

if your a defiant QQing about long que times. roll Guardian. thats what you get for chosing the dominant faction.

as far as the ideas. why not. but once the grind is done they are back where we are now. we need a ranked arena w/o rewards.
    Now known as Menthol of galena.
    my spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...uhcV.xxoAksqxk
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

R8's and most seriously PvP only players have left for SWTOR. Unless that game completely tanks, then there is no getting back the old rank 8 players.
    <Retired>

sw pvp is not that great. i played around in the beta. didnt appease my pvp appetite. i much prefer rifts pvp. it just needs adjusted/balanced out a little bit more.. (and the game needs to go f2p w p2p bonuses)
    Now known as Menthol of galena.
    my spec http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...uhcV.xxoAksqxk
    Wolfsbane =worst shard.

Rift Disciple

Default Hate to see people leave Rift

Unfortunately, once people leave an MMO, they seldom return. WoW is the exception to the rule, but most people that return to WoW leave again once they remember why they left the first time. I was hoping to extend the R8 WF play time with some incentives. As I said it would only be a short term fix, but then it gives Trion some time to implement some major WF/PvP changes such as more complex WFs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegimatic View Post
    Unfortunately, once people leave an MMO, they seldom return. WoW is the exception to the rule, but most people that return to WoW leave again once they remember why they left the first time. I was hoping to extend the R8 WF play time with some incentives. As I said it would only be a short term fix, but then it gives Trion some time to implement some major WF/PvP changes such as more complex WFs, etc.
    Should I be ashamed? I have played Runescape since RSC.
    And I always return to that games PvP /facepalm
    "You lost me at Balance"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegimatic View Post
    While I'm sure many R8's have permanently or temporarily stopped playing in warfronts, for many different personal reasons including but not limited to lack of further endgame content, I am not so sure those R8's that have left represent a large faction of PvP playing accounts. I think a great many of them, that are no longer playing their R8's in warfronts, are ranking up alts (like me) and trying to maintain some hope that things will improve a lot more and very soon for PvP.

I wouldn't go back to WoW, which I played a bit over 5 years, for anything. In general, once I stop doing business out of anger with any company at all then I go out of my way to never do any business with them again for the rest of my life, unless I simply have no feasible alternative, and I let people know if they bother to ask why. I've not reached that point with this game, its inertia bothers me a lot (and I'm vocal about it on these forums) when it comes to making PvP more fun and working better systematically, but I do see at least claims if not facts that it is being worked on. Trion still has my support but it has been weakened for reasons others might or might not think matter at all.
    Last edited by Taptap; 12-18-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    Specter
    R87 Mage - Wolfsbane, Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by Feid View Post
    if your a defiant QQing about long que times. roll Guardian. thats what you get for chosing the dominant faction.
    I strongly disagree with this. The MAJORITY of Rift subscribers who PvP are experiencing unacceptable queue times. This is NOT the customer's fault, but rather a flaw in the game design. My $15/month is the same as your $15/month, yet I am being denied the same access to content as you are. This is poor product/service design.

I will not reroll. I will find another game before I scrap the work I've put into my P8 and crafters. I'm sure a LOT of other players feel the same way. I'd bet for every 1 person willing to start over from scratch, there are another 20 who will quit the game first. MANY have already quit.

So stop with the reroll trolling. It's disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by lunatuna View Post
    I strongly disagree with this. The MAJORITY of Rift subscribers who PvP are experiencing unacceptable queue times. This is NOT the customer's fault, but rather a flaw in the game design. My $15/month is the same as your $15/month, yet I am being denied the same access to content as you are. This is poor product/service design.

I will not reroll. I will find another game before I scrap the work I've put into my P8 and crafters. I'm sure a LOT of other players feel the same way. I'd bet for every 1 person willing to start over from scratch, there are another 20 who will quit the game first. MANY have already quit.

I have to disagree with the underlined statement.

Based on what I've seen on this forum, long queues do effect a specific portion of the playerbase and that seems to be Defiant. Also, it seems that this tends to be cluster specific. As a Guardian, I can tell you for a fact that my queue times are almost always under 5 minutes. The exceptions to this would be if it's the weekend and everyone is dead set on playing the bonus WF and I decide to queue something other than the bonus WF.

One thing seems to hold true for most 2 faction MMORPG's. The people most likely to be PvP oriented tend to migrate to the 'badass' faction. This was true in WoW and Warhammer and it is also true in Rift. As a result, we end up with just what we're experiencing here.

As for "I will find another game before I scrap the work...", won't you be doing just that if you "find another game"? (Just asking)

As I see it, you have a few chioces...

1) Stick where you are and hope the queue times go down.
    2) Scrap everything and reroll Guardian for shorter queues.
    3) Scrap everything and find another game.
    4) Do a little research and see if you can find a cluster with better queue times and, if you find one, transfer to it.

Now, I'm not telling you which choice to choose, but if you truly enjoy Rift PvP I'd suggest either #2 or #4.

I feel people knew, or should have had the ability to figure it out, that an over popular faction (by definition the "majority" of players) is going to have long warfront queue times. I am hard pressed to find sympathy for their voluntary actions that contributed to an annoying situation. But if I try real hard I can find a little sympathy while snickering a bit about what they brought on themselves.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that logic dictates that the over population issue that leads to long warfront queue times can only be solved by eliminating Grds vs Defs and instead make it Team-A vs Team-B with each team composed of both Grds & Defs. This seems to me to be inescapable logic. Also, I don't buy it that ranked warfronts have caused long queue times; while they have increased if it goes to long then the queue becomes unranked and besides that there's been QQ about long warfront queue times for Defs ever since game launch (it didn't just suddenly start with ranked matches and Team-A vs Team-B was needed long before ranked warfronts came along).

Ranked warfronts only addresses the fun factor. The population factor must be addressed separately, as it is a completely separate issue. Apples & oranges.
    Specter

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Meina View Post
    I have to disagree with the underlined statement.

One thing seems to hold true for most 2 faction MMORPG's. The people most likely to be PvP oriented tend to migrate to the 'badass' faction. This was true in WoW and Warhammer and it is also true in Rift. As a result, we end up with just what we're experiencing here.

As for "I will find another game before I scrap the work...", won't you be doing just that if you "find another game"? (Just asking)

As I see it, you have a few chioces...

1) Stick where you are and hope the queue times go down.
    2) Scrap everything and reroll Guardian for shorter queues.
    3) Scrap everything and find another game.
    4) Do a little research and see if you can find a cluster with better queue times and, if you find one, transfer to it.

Now, I'm not telling you which choice to choose, but if you truly enjoy Rift PvP I'd suggest either #2 or #4.
    This needs to be reposted in every Defiant QQ thread about times. Since you played the "evil" guys, if you play WoW you would of been Horde. Now its been awhile since I played that, but I remember when ques were bad. Getting into AV took sometimes up to two hours. Honestly get over it already, you picked that side deal with it. You cant blame Trion that most people play one side. And honestly as much as I hate Defiant, yes Im one as well. Killing them in warfronts wouldnt do much for me, since I like the point of two sides, not just some free for all fight.
    From the problems I have seen in PvP compared to them in Rift, this isnt much. Im confused why people never cried this hard on WoW. or was the whole arena and spending all day dueling outside whatever main city that much fun. If anything I have seen more rank 8s crying about this change the anything else. QQ I cant gank rank 1s.. go star wars, there you can.. then you see from your lack of skill that a lvl 10 just destroyed you.

Based on what I've seen on this forum, long queues do effect a specific portion of the playerbase and that seems to be Defiant. Also, it seems that this tends to be cluster specific.
    Moving around looking for the best queue times has been a Defiant necessity since they introduced server transfers. The introduction of Rank 8 really showed how much faster Guardians gain prestige and many Defiants went searching for the best queue times. I myself have tried several wargroups, and queue times are always better for guardians. ALWAYS. This means the number of Defiant queuing for WFs exceeds the number of Guardians. I believe it is universal across wargroups now. Check out the various queue time threads and point to ONE instance where a Defiant says their queue times for WFs are instant.

Show me ANYWHERE in the lore that says Defiant are the 'badass' faction. If anything, the division is God vs Science. Yeah, those scientists sure are badass. Honestly, I rolled a guardian at first, and hated the God themed questing, so rerolled a Defiant. People are using 20/20 hindsight to say "you should have known better", when no one who at launch could know this outcome. In fact, in the early days the concern was there were too many Guardians. I think Guardian PvE population still exceeds Defiant.

Honestly, would you do it? Be honest now. Face it, Rift's star is fading fast. I won't reinvest the time into THIS game, but I will keep subscribing if they fix the queue time issue facing the MAJORITY of subscribers that PvP.

Unless they do something, the only way faction balance will be achieved is if a whole lot of Defiant leave the game. Which is already happening. For every subscriber lost, the resources available to develop new content dwindle. It's just pure short-sightedness that Guardians aren't up in arms about this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamashii View Post
    Since you played the "evil" guys, if you play WoW you would of been Horde
    Do all WoW escapees apply WoW lore to every game they play? Defiant are not evil. Read the freaking lore.
    Last edited by lunatuna; 12-19-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taptap View Post
    I feel people knew, or should have had the ability to figure it out, that an over popular faction (by definition the "majority" of players) is going to have long warfront queue times..
    Tell me how you knew at launch that Guardians would have shorter queue times than Defiants.

Tell me how you knew at launch that Guardians would have shorter queue times than Defiants.
    From the posts in the game forums (now archived) during Beta and Headstart (I started playing on day 1 of Headstart). There were really bad login queues at that time, not enough shards. But right off the bat there were complaints that guardians had long dungeon queues (no xshard lfd back then) and complaints from defiants that their warfront queues were to long (no xshard for warfronts back then). THAT'S why xshard dungeons and warfronts came about to begin with! Both queue problems were the result of an immediate excess of Defiant compared to Guardian, and it's never changed in that regard to this day. People always did and still do, by and large, prefer to play Defiant and the problems that brought to the game have never been properly addressed by Trion (no, they have NOT been, players did and have repeatably presented much better solutions that would have avoided the current state of game annoyances that people HATE; but Trion chose to think they know better than their customers who have played MMO's for years and are only now, kicking and screaming all the way, very slowly coming around to implementing what the players suggested all along while we who love the game theme hope it's not to little and to late).
    Last edited by Taptap; 12-19-2011 at 07:38 AM.
    Specter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast