+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Lightning Burst needs to be toned down

Rift Chaser

Default Lightning Burst needs to be toned down

Last night I got hit for 6700+ twice within the span of a few minutes during a very short PvP session.

My toon is a R8 Cleric with 1100 Valor and I was in my healing soul when this happened. At full health, those Lightning Bursts would have left me with about 485 health, but both times I was holding Rune Vessels when I got hit and died instantly.

If a Mage can do this to a well-geared R8 healing Cleric, that means that Mage can do this to anyone R1 to R7 and a lot of R8s as well, mostly Clerics and Rogues.

This spell really needs to be toned down, and I think it's time the PvP team took another hard look at that big healing nerf from several patches ago.

For Clerics especially, we're balanced to the way things were five patches ago, before ubiquitous healing debuffs, multiple souls with powerful mana drains, eight-second silences and stuns that don't seem to suffer from diminishing returns. Right now it's all about sneaking in anything we can in the tiny casting windows we get between stuns, silences and drains...add one-shot spells to that, and it's easier than ever to shut us down or take us out of the fight.

Please take a look at this issue and make adjustments, they're sorely needed. Thanks.

Ascendant

Healing won't help a near 7k crit, but you're right. Even with the SC's saying, there's tons of setup involved, crits that high shouldn't happen in PvP.
    Hitme (W) - Byriel - Dark Horizon
    Darane (C) - Faeblight - Knights of Septoria

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by mattya802 View Post
    Healing won't help a near 7k crit, but you're right. Even with the SC's saying, there's tons of setup involved, crits that high shouldn't happen in PvP.
    LoS will though, also paying attention to spell particles/icons.
    Heng - Defiant Cleric of <WARGASM>
    Teebag - Guardian Warrior of <Late Night Sneaky Uncles>

Ascendant

Just a matter of time...

Do u have any idea how long it takes to put 3 stacks of electrify, ice shear and hypothermia on a target and then cast lightning burst on a target? It deserves to hit that hard. If it didnt it would be a useless spell. Might as well spam lightning field. Also take into account all somrone has to do is cleanse a single stack of electrify or the ice shear debuff and your setup is all for nothing. Oh yeah, I almost forgot that with the exception of ice shear every single cast is stationary. In the squishiest pvp spec ever. The class is designed to hit that hard because its all it can do. It sounds like you want to complain about every mechanic in the game. QQ
    Enforcer | Schwarzeneggar | Enforced <-- Myrmidon

Tempagon PvP Video

Ascendant

sorry but if you have 1100+ valor ur not getting hit for 6700+
    Killianx<Addiction> - Gnarlwood
    Formerly Killianx/Boosted of <Voodoo>
    Back after a Hiatus
    My TwitchTV

Rift Chaser

I'm not going to comment on or speculate on anything that's been said here, I'm just gonna say two things.

1) If you're playing a build with a cleanse, and you die to a Stormcaller, it's your fault. I don't care if it's a 6k crit, or a 20k crit, if that number is completely nullified by one skill and you choose not to use that skill wisely, then it's on you.

2) If Stormcaller is made any worse than it already is, now that Building Storm is gone, 90% of Mages everywhere will be running some form of Dominator. And if that's what you really want to see in your Warfront, than godspeed.
    Saved@Briarcliff
    I play a Mage, just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ic0N View Post
    Do u have any idea how long it takes to put 3 stacks of electrify, ice shear and hypothermia on a target and then cast lightning burst on a target? It deserves to hit that hard. If it didnt it would be a useless spell. Might as well spam lightning field. Also take into account all somrone has to do is cleanse a single stack of electrify or the ice shear debuff and your setup is all for nothing. Oh yeah, I almost forgot that with the exception of ice shear every single cast is stationary. In the squishiest pvp spec ever. The class is designed to hit that hard because its all it can do. It sounds like you want to complain about every mechanic in the game. QQ
    It's a pure dmg spec and super squishy without tons of CC, so it gives it balance. I'd be interested to see what would happen if other pure dmg specs were comparable tough. I.e. Parachamp RH crits take between 6-10 seconds to set up, yet hits for about half as hard. Imagine if Deadeye shot hit you for 7-8k....
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

I think the poster is correct cause u know u should be able to stand still during pvp, not have to use any defensive cd's, not have to cleanse, not have to use LoS and take more action complaining about it then you would avoiding in the wf. While we are talking about OP haxs in pvp I think walls need nerfed because I can't use my positonal abilities that require to bebehind the target on my rogue when someone stands with their back to a wall.
    Last edited by Scarybadlady; 12-15-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    ...In for a penny in for a pound...

Quote Originally Posted by Suz86 View Post
    LoS will though, also paying attention to spell particles/icons.
    This kind of talk is just silly, I liken this response to being as irrational as a anti-texting and driving response being "well if you drive defensively and stay alert you can avoid the texting drivers."

You should know as a warrior it is not always practical to position yourself and do your job. I shouldn't have to hide behind a freaking tree or run behind a hill every 5-10 seconds in pvp, I'm a !@#$ing warrior. The !@#$ hits way too hard and resists are broken as hell. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ic0N View Post
    And none of those stacking effects come with any damage right? It's not like having to use 5 damage-less cooldowns to get one big hit like oh I don't know......a sab.

Funny how we didn't see all of this before 1.6, and every other mage is speccing into it despite it being "so hard to set up"

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post
    And none of those stacking effects come with any damage right? It's not like having to use 5 damage-less cooldowns to get one big hit like oh I don't know......a sab.

Funny how we didn't see all of this before 1.6, and every other mage is speccing into it despite it being "so hard to set up"
    Lightning Burst was here before 1.6 and was exactly the same as it is now.

And the vast majority of Mages I see are of the Pyromancer variation, so I'm not sure how "every" Mage is using it.
    Last edited by lmprov; 12-15-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    Saved@Briarcliff
    I play a Mage, just throwing it out there.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKillian View Post
    sorry but if you have 1100+ valor ur not getting hit for 6700+
    bard + pve HK gear + archon .. I actually think it could happen, barely. but extremely unlikely.

I agree with the other posters though.. spec up just tree for damage reduction, and warden for hots.. this is a tough spec to kill. remember to cleanse & LOS.

also agree it needs to be toned down.. lightning burst -> icicle = dead

Shadowlander

This kind of talk is just silly, I liken this response to being as irrational as a anti-texting and driving response being "well if you drive defensively and stay alert you can avoid the texting drivers."

You should know as a warrior it is not always practical to position yourself and do your job. I shouldn't have to hide behind a freaking tree or run behind a hill every 5-10 seconds in pvp, I'm a !@#$ing warrior. The !@#$ hits way too hard and resists are broken as hell. Period.
    Positioning and situational awareness has no place in PVP whatsoever....... go back to your zerg newb.

/sarcasm off
    Heng - Defiant Cleric of <WARGASM>
    Teebag - Guardian Warrior of <Late Night Sneaky Uncles>

It's not necessarily that it hits too hard, it's that warriors don't hit hard enough to counter.
    Seb - R40 OP PVP Warrior
    Solo Tanking Akylios - But I hate tanking Plutonus.
    New WF Idea for Rift
    SAVE THE VK!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast