+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Now impossible for Mages to destealth Rogues with AoE

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    One sentence quips aside, Rogues have to put points into an extremely specialized spec and give up the majority of their viability and utility for stealth. Mages are welcome to spec into Ward of Detection, which pretty much takes care of any stealther. But if you're not willing to specialize your spec to kill another specialized one, you shouldn't hard counter it.
    1) Yeah because stealthed Rogues are just going to walk into the 30 second cool-down ward which is a visible aoe effect on the floor

2) With about 100 places you could place this at the Vault, a Rogue could be sitting anywhere, waiting for you to leave so he can recap. So basically you're saying I should try putting down a ward every 30 seconds in a new spot? Or should I just let him have the vault and be on my way?

Nice try, little thought,

Try again
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    1) Yeah because stealthed Rogues are just going to walk into the 30 second cool-down ward which is a visible aoe effect on the floor

2) With about 100 places you could place this at the Vault, a Rogue could be sitting anywhere, waiting for you to leave so he can recap. So basically you're saying I should try putting down a ward every 30 seconds in a new spot? Or should I just let him have the vault and be on my way?

Try again
    The range is huge, cry a little harder. You don't need it to pop him to be effective if you can keep him from jumping you while you cap.

Unimaginative is what you are.

P.S. if you are losing to an assassin as a mage... there is no hope for you.

Plane Walker

Try again
    No.

One of the best pvp mages I ever saw made frequent use of ward of detection. He even made a macro to taunt the rogues that he successfully caught in world pvp, and frankly it was hilarious to watch.

And hell, even IF you had absolutely zero tools to bring a rogue out of stealth, the fact that rogue stealth can be used as a weapon of psychological warfare is something you should just man up and deal with. No single calling should have a counter to every tool another calling tries to employ. In this case, a rogue using stealth wisely should be able to out-manoeuvre you when it comes to camping cap locations. Rather play to your calling's strengths and go nuke the scrubs camping dex instead.
    Last edited by Xarog; 12-06-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Viz Shady View Post
    I'm all for anything that brings the cockroaches, also known as rogues, out of permanent invisibility. Bunch of chickens.
    cockroach chickens definitely sound OP to me with all that feed scratchin and antenae wiggling, and then they dont even know when they are dead already, they just keep kicking those little legs anyways.
    Last edited by ShalarLight; 12-06-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    FYI Riftstalker running isn't even pve. .... You might as well call riftstalker running PVE.

Rift Disciple

Ok my main is a Mage (and no I didn't start playing this char after 1.6) and I understand how the OP feels about Rogues waiting to cap flag, but IMHO "GUARD THE DANG FLAG"! Shame on you if you don't want to do otherwise! I use AOEs to keep them from Backstabing me not to pull them out of stealth! I got a 50/50 chance against a rogue of same rank, and yes the good ones will make me earn that kill if I get it. If you wan to complain about abilites being bugged... fine, but don't dare complain about not being able to leave a flag because a Rogue will take it if you do and expect sympathy!

Nature's Fury. Yayayayayayayayayaaaaaa
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

wrong, Backdraft.

next...
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

It is possible, Amazing Archon Sonar make friendship magic here, if you care to listen carefully and have some patience to play some mind games with invisible villains.
    Also this particular thing demoralizes people as hell.
    And don't forget to run around spamming aegis or purpose after you spotted, destealthed and punished him, because it's just hilarious and also demoralize dead people a bit.

I'll probably get flamed for this but oh well :P I've said this in the past too, the current stealth mechanic is probably one of the strongest abilities in the game atm because of its potential to: cause the rogue to get a pretty ensured first strike and close into melee range, disrupt player's ability to target it even if they know where they are, start out behind the enemy which prevents them from reacting as well as set up cc, can act as a midcombat getaway, abusable with rogue cc which is very powerful in objective based pvp, and ultimately allows the rogue to pick and choose their battles. Its because of this, that combat ends up focusing around the opponents ability to burst defense (the dmg output of which is usually balanced around pve), for heavily defensive classes this might mean the class ends up strongly advantaged, but for stuff with lower health and not much in the way of defense except for relying on cc or spacing, like offensive mage specs (esp sc), rogue has pretty much always been a counter to on an equal skill/gear level. I must point out though that this in no way means that the rogue is overall imbalanced, however, I do think it does make its success extremely matchup specific, and because of that makes it difficult to create more meaningful balancing.

I would love to see stealth reworked to allow more player interaction, maybe increase the radius in which you can see stealthed players, and make stealthed players more visible if they are within your frontal line of sight as opposed to on the sides or in the shadows, etc... the main point being stealth should be something that the rogue has to be clever to setup, it shouldn't be a reasonably ensured thing, and also should prevent cc/getaway abuses. It should allow a smart rogue to get an advantage, while still allowing a smart opponent to have realistic options to discover the rogue and make preemptive measures.... and before someone does say it no, randomly aoeing places is pretty ineffective against intelligent rogues who haven't given themselves away by doing something lame like going into stealth right in front of the opponent, both the direction the mage is facing and the aoe graphic are usually obvious indications for a rogue to move.
    Last edited by Inixia; 12-07-2011 at 01:03 PM.

stop *****ing about everything ppl play the game or get out.
    Pvp tournament 5v5 Pts Alpha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4lT..._order&list=UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    SwordPlay aka ReapingGlory #1 Mage
    Phalooz aka Cromagis #1 Warrior
    Come and take the titles!

use rank 1 blizzard.
    R8 Warrior
    Go Riftblade or go Home

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Viz Shady View Post
    I'm all for anything that brings the cockroaches, also known as rogues, out of permanent invisibility. Bunch of chickens.
    We rogues did that. Then you all QQ'd about NB/RS.

whine whine whine about all other classes but thier own buff our classes nerf thier class this post should be locked.
    Pvp tournament 5v5 Pts Alpha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4lT..._order&list=UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Am0n View Post
    SwordPlay aka ReapingGlory #1 Mage
    Phalooz aka Cromagis #1 Warrior
    Come and take the titles!

Prophet of Telara

Permanent stealth is so unfair to us law abiding, tax paying citizens. Bunch of hippies, get a job!
    And a haircut. Now get off my damn lawn!
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Rogues are completly fine to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro
    please stop qq about nerfs because i promise if u keep it up rift will shut down because they have no subribers and we will have wasted our money on a failed game simply because everyone was acting like little kids because they couldnt faceroll anyone and it actually took effort to kill them

Just for one moment imagine you are a Mage trying to destealth a Rogue who is camping a control point at Codex warfront. You can't. You either wait there for the entire game to keep that point (not knowing if the Rogue is still there or not), or move away and immediately lose the point when he comes out of stealth.

Used to do this: Tap devouring shadows or fire storm to destealth them (if lucky)

Now there is 1 second or so after the animation before they take damage. Meaning it's impossible to use these anymore

Other means of destealthing: 30second cool-downs from stormcaller, archmage, useless AoE from useless necromancer spec.. Corrosion is the only thing left I guess? But melee range only and must have charge...

Now I literally see and know where I would be able to destealth a Rogue.. but by the time the damage kicks in they are miles away...

Kinda too late to ask... but it would have been a better fix to nerf FS/DS by doing something like reduce the damage of the first tick by 90% and increase the damage of the last tick by 90% :s Thus it would be inefficient to stopcast/double tick but mechanics stay the same..

PS im not asking them to unnerf the spells... just kind of a pvp oversight :/
    look at the mages pvp soul it has an AOE that can be placed down that de-cloaks stealthers and the AOE last for 30 seconds. it will also decloak any rogue that is stealthed that pass's through the AOE cricle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3