+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: It's not the end of Rift-PvP...but you can see it from here

Default It's not the end of Rift-PvP...but you can see it from here

Cutting it kinda close Trion; need to drop some PvP goodies before year-end...the Dark Side is so seductive

after all..."Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will"

Prophet of Telara

Nobody who is into PvP will be going to SWTOR. So just stop.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Qaedyan View Post
    Well not entirely true ....many will being going to SWTOR to at least see if it is as fail as Rift in the PvP department until GW2 releases.

Edit: I suspect it will be as bad or worse, but this game ie tiresome so anything new is better than the endless repetitiveness of Rift WFs. This game is so stagnant.
    Last edited by Covenn; 12-01-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Irony - Pathiss

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Covenn View Post
    I suspect it will be as bad or worse, but this game ie tiresome so anything new is better than the endless repetitiveness of Rift WFs. This game is so stagnant.
    I agree with all of that. I just figure Rift's failure in PvP will probably make it's players more leery of another game that's basically going to do the same thing.

I agree with all of that. I just figure Rift's failure in PvP will probably make it's players more leery of another game that's basically going to do the same thing.
    It may have that effect on some, but on most I think it will make them want to try another game. If we were content with Rift pvp we would not think of leaving, but so many are not. Even if SWTOR is not going to have great pvp, at least the suck will be diverse. I just moved to the Seastone cluster as a Guardian and it is the absolute worst pvp experience I have had since release. I don't know if they are just having a bad few days but holy crap, we're talking multiple Port of Scion 1000-double digit losses even lol, and with NO boss kill! Can't wait to transfer off that rock, ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenn View Post
    Well not entirely true ....many will being going to SWTOR to at least see if it is as fail as Rift in the PvP department until GW2 releases.

Edit: I suspect it will be as bad or worse, but this game ie tiresome so anything new is better than the endless repetitiveness of Rift WFs. This game is so stagnant.
    If you think RIFT is bad, you're going to hate SWTOR PvP. A much larger grind, clunkier combat and faulty systems. The objectives might be a bit more diverse, but it's lacking everywhere else. If you're a healer (Sage in my case), you're screwed if you're caught alone. The knockback on spells is insane, and you do such little healing early on. You have no tools to counter burst damage, so you spam either your small heal or your long castime big heal, which doesn't do much.

You're going to start to miss RIFTs diversity, even if it's only a few specs. You must commit to one spec in SWTOR, and once you experience RIFTs choices, it's hard to justify.

PvP in SWTOR is going to take a backseat, maybe even trunk, compared to everything else. Disregarding the bugs, it's still not that great.
    Zev & Manafont of Seastone
    Vinco Bellum

Soulwalker

Default New to RIFT, what is wrong with PvP

I'm new to RIFT, quick background: DAoC, GW, WoW, Warhammer Online, EQ2

I've been poking around the forums and I read that PvP sucks in this game. So far I have loved it, so I'm confused where the hatred comes from.

Is lvl 50 PvP much like War/WoW as in your just grinding the same BG's (WF's) over and over?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Cronikz View Post

Is lvl 50 PvP much like War/WoW as in your just grinding the same BG's (WF's) over and over?
    Yes, only imagine if 8 seasons of WoW gear were available at any given point in time and only the most die hard have the top end gear.

Combine together the lack of diversity in the warfronts and the gear disparity/requirement and you have a rather grindy and tiresome PvP experience.

Rift Disciple

Any game developer that passed high school algebra ought to be able to balance pvp better than Rift. I imagine PvP balance and content in SWTOR will rival rift even at launch.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Cronikz View Post
    I'm new to RIFT, quick background: DAoC, GW, WoW, Warhammer Online, EQ2

I've been poking around the forums and I read that PvP sucks in this game. So far I have loved it, so I'm confused where the hatred comes from.

PvP while leveling is quite enjoyable in Rift.
    There is 0 endgame pvp in Rift.
    It is just a big long grind for gear. No ranked competition. No class balance. No arena. The grind is really really really long. In WoW you are at most 2 tiers behind after a moderate grind. In rift you are 8 tiers behind and the grind for each is the whole entry level WoW set.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Wreks View Post
    Any game developer that passed high school algebra ought to be able to balance pvp better than Rift. I imagine PvP balance and content in SWTOR will rival rift even at launch.
    Anyone who watched gaming for the past 5 years should know better than to trust EA and Bioware.

Even something as promising as WAR relatively failed at launch after EA took the helm.

Dragon Age 2 was a digital abortion.... First game ever where I literally wanted my money back.

Bioware is great at story, so if you're big into RP, SWTOR might be for you.... other than that, expect serious disappointment.

Best quote about it I've heard so far from a friend in the beta was "It's basically every failed MMO you've ever played...... IN SPACE!!!!!"
    Last edited by Meowshwitz; 12-01-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Soulwalker

Talking about Rift's pvp is like trying to prove the existence of the non-existence.
    Stelol Rank 8 Rogue
    Born in Whitefall , lived in Bloodiron

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mako482 View Post
    It may have that effect on some, but on most I think it will make them want to try another game. If we were content with Rift pvp we would not think of leaving, but so many are not. Even if SWTOR is not going to have great pvp, at least the suck will be diverse. I just moved to the Seastone cluster as a Guardian and it is the absolute worst pvp experience I have had since release. I don't know if they are just having a bad few days but holy crap, we're talking multiple Port of Scion 1000-double digit losses even lol, and with NO boss kill! Can't wait to transfer off that rock, ouch.
    I was on Seastone as a Guardian originally, and moved the a Briarcliff-cluster server to game with some friends. Things seem more competitive over here.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Raen View Post
    If you think RIFT is bad, you're going to hate SWTOR PvP.
    It is unlikely SWToR will be a great PvP game, but on the other hand it doesn't really have to be great to better than Rift when it comes to PvP.

The fact they will have an RvR world (Illum, with more worlds to come) with objectives, capture points, etc is a big plus for many.

As for the characters, no you don't get the multiple specs of Rift, on the other hand you actually get more variety in terms of skills / gameplay for a build than you do for most builds in Rift. Furthermore less spec diversity should make it easier to balance.

I'd also guess given the population, queues will be shorter, better balanced, plus you can go up against your own faction in Hutball and in Outlaw's Den (a free for all PvP area, that also contains mats for high level crafting (they seem to have grasped the concept Open World PvP is helped along by objectives, rewards, etc)), something I'd love to do to some of the idiots I get teamed up with.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Flimble View Post
    It is unlikely SWToR will be a great PvP game, but on the other hand it doesn't really have to be great to better than Rift when it comes to PvP.

The fact they will have an RvR world (Illum, with more worlds to come) with objectives, capture points, etc is a big plus for many.

As for the characters, no you don't get the multiple specs of Rift, on the other hand you actually get more variety in terms of skills / gameplay for a build than you do for most builds in Rift. Furthermore less spec diversity should make it easier to balance.

I'd also guess given the population, queues will be shorter, better balanced, plus you can go up against your own faction in Hutball and in Outlaw's Den (a free for all PvP area, that also contains mats for high level crafting (they seem to have grasped the concept Open World PvP is helped along by objectives, rewards, etc)), something I'd love to do to some of the idiots I get teamed up with.
    well said fella
    Stelol Rank 8 Rogue
    Born in Whitefall , lived in Bloodiron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast