+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Why your PvP, and ultimately your game, failed.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Rottweiler-STi View Post
    Huh P3? Then you would have to scale down HK gear to equivalent P3 levels, thus there would be practically little to no gain upgrades on regular dungeon gear vs HK raid gear. Or are you saying you would leave HK gear as is so PvE geared players could wreck people in the WFs?
    I think the main problem is the rr8 weapons available, people afk to rr8 and have damn near the best weapons in the game. They scale VERY well for warriors/rogues and not at all for clerics/mages. The alternative weapons you can get prior to rr8 are so bad in comparison it is ridiculous.

Shadowlander

How about seperating PvE and PvP gear. Do it like this.....

Make any item with focus or hit on it also have a small penalty for PvP.......either a small damage decrease, or a small damage mitigation penalty. Scale the amount so that more hit/focus is a bigger penalty.....something along the lines of 300 focus gives a 30% damage output penalty against players.....same for hit. 57 hit would give a 5.7 damage output penalty against players.

Currently, if I have Rank 8 PvP gear, I can kill normal mobs just fine.....However, all of that great gear does nothing for my damage output against boss mobs because I have no hit/focus.

Conversely, a player with the best PvE gear will have incredible damage output in PvP......they will take a bit more damage from players, but not that much.......and even that is offset to some degree by better armor factors, more hit points and better stats in general.

A PvP player does far worse at high end PvE than a PvE player does at high end PvP.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Thormael View Post

Still I wish I could get the feeling from Crushbone, Unrest, Mistmoore & Lower Guk back, awesome times thinking back!
    Lower Guk? Hey, can you move out of the way, you are blocking the hall and I can't drag my body out.

Mistmoore? Massive trains caused by poor mob pathing and agro thru walls. Have to admit though....the mobs in that zone really believed in killing the intruders.

How about Lavastorm Mountains though! My shadow knight slaying fire elementals.......and seeing the zone crash.....ahh, the memmories......

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post
    Rift is a very young game compared to the games you have compared it to. Rift has still many many years to grow to rework what didn't work out and make their community happy. For PvP i could say the same thing. Please remember, PvP was never the main focus of Trion. To be honest i think they were surprised how many hardcore pvpers they attracted with their game. Now every patch that comes out they are trying to fix their pvp system but in the end what players don't understand is, It will take a very long time. Their main focus will always be PvE and little PvP changes will come but major restructuring will take time.

We can always point fingers on what we think its wrong with rift but that is not how we help the game became better. My advice is to stop posting threads complaining and post threads with ideas on how to improve Rift. I'm telling you right now that the devs aren't rushing to read threads by whiners they are more interested in the threads that we share ideas how we would fix the problems.
    Then both you and the OP are in total agreement. I agree with the OP as well.

Note one thing however: Constructive critisism, which the OP provided in spades, does in fact "point things out that are "wrong" in Rift". That's the point of constructive critisism. It's construcitve, not abusive or destructive or insulting.

And the goal would be, yes indeed, help make the game better.
    Last edited by Weathersky; 11-18-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Shadowlander

After my post, had to look up EQ.......they just released the 18th expansion on the 15th of November, 2011. That game is still going!!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LOveRH View Post

We can always point fingers on what we think its wrong with rift but that is not how we help the game became better. My advice is to stop posting threads complaining and post threads with ideas on how to improve Rift. I'm telling you right now that the devs aren't rushing to read threads by whiners they are more interested in the threads that we share ideas how we would fix the problems.
    It also appears they don't read or act upon constructive threads either, although the outcry of the Rogue 1.5 update and the subsequent whinge fest that became shows that whining does infact accomplish things.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrazen View Post
    1. Releasing way too many season/gear upgrades far too fast. We should be at maybe 'season 3' /p3 gear level right now. There is an endless whine fest about PvP balance for good reason, especially considering this is a new game. You introduced way too powerful of an upgrade, way too fast, and in doing so very quickly shut out new players from participating in any meaningful way in PvP. This is probably the biggest single screw up.
    Lost me here. Gear is all PvPers have in this game, so of course morons whine about it.

They whine about premades as well, and premades have basically been outlawed in this game.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Thormael View Post
    I often wondered the same thing.
    But then again, think about it that way : if a game featuring new content and up to date graphics, but with EQ1 downtime, would you play it today?

There's NO WAY IN HELL I would even consider leveling again meditating for X minutes between each pull, and that is with a friggin spell book hiding the game up to lvl 35 again!
    10 minutes downtime solo, and waiting for the boat 20 minutes is a thing of the past.
    It just cannot happen again now.
    Sure I have awesome memories from EQ1, even from wiping all night to break in PoF or camping the JBoots after they were taken out of Najena, but hell, I'd never do that again, it's just impossible.

Would the same addiction and memories be possible again without the huge time investment and reliance onto each other? I don't know, I hope so, because this game design is pretty much forever gone...
    No one is gonna /who cleric 50 again and /tell every online cleric to beg for a 100 plat res. No one is gonna deal with the kill stealing, the ports / boats, even the exp loss on death, which I actually miss these days (too many careless people these days).

Still I wish I could get the feeling from Crushbone, Unrest, Mistmoore & Lower Guk back, awesome times thinking back!

I'd go back. In fact, I did, over the summer. I had started rift at launch but my comp couldn't handle it so I had to bail. EQ had just launched two progression servers. And it was really great. Downtime wasn't really that bad. The graphics are dated but the design and feel of it is still incredible.

I left because the population wasn't high enough and in EQ you absolutely positively need groups. You cant solo level effectively. And that's why the new MMOs don't force grouping. Because if you don't attract enough interest immediately you will just flop at launch. And if you make it through that then people will still struggle leveling alts when the population gets top heavy.

You need a balance of individual content and group. And group is a different word than instance. Simply putting in some open-world dungeon crawls for people to run would make the game better. More content for groups and ignore the whines of people who want to solo -- there's enough content for that.

WoWs biggest weakness IMO was it made levelling way too easy. Rift doubled down on that. what would have helped would have been more difficult levelling. With rewards for grouping exp-wise. Then the solo people would still be exploring new world/zone content while the groupers were just getting into raid level. That would help your development by not having to rush content out too fast.

I agree with the OP on the prestige gear, it seems pretty fast to have that many ranks out already. Not sure on how to address that. And adding in an arena system like wow would really make many pvp players happy, just Wfs aren't enough.
    Last edited by syrianx; 11-18-2011 at 04:07 PM.

He's right about gear, half of it looks like crap. The other half take hundreds of hours to get, or just grab it from the ah as wardrobe buying various greens.

Re-skinning should be illegal in mmos, and devs should be ashamed.

Is it so hard to ad a green glow to r6 Mage, red glow to r8 Mage, and NO glow on the AH version?

Same goes for q and 2 Mage gear, warrior p8....etc....etc...

Like crap.
    Last edited by homfridis; 11-19-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    - Rank 8 Mage
    - Rank 8 Warrior
    - pvp leveling cleric to 50 for next r8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3