+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Library of the Zergmasters - Poor Design Meets Disastrous Implementation

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default Library of the Zergmasters - Poor Design Meets Disastrous Implementation

Its hard to imagine who thought this warfront would be a good idea. If you haven't played yet, here is how it works:
    1. Both teams zerg the center
    2. One team wins the initial battle
    3. The team that wins the initial battle has now won the game
    4. The team that lost the initial battle gets farmed for 10-15 minutes
    5. The game ends with the score 1000-90 (1000-400 in very close games)
    In theory, the team that loses the initial battle can take the teleport to the bottom, which gives a 240 AP/120 SP buff. The problem is this lands you in an uncoordinated pile, right in the other team's AOE.

The other option is to jump down, but once again, you're in an big mess of a spread pattern with no buff and the enemy has the high ground.

As the winning team, you run around plowing the other team as they jump/teleport down to die before your Fan Out/Tyranny/Lightning Field/Earth Burst.

It doesn't really affect me too much, since I can just not play it, but its pretty incredible that such a jacked up piece of content could make it live. Ah well.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 10-01-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Yea i do not like it at all, even though we won 3 of 4....Not my kind of warfront and a melee class just gets nuked down like nothing, will skip this WF

That's not how it has worked for me at all yet. Sucks for you.

Also, how is this any worse than Black Garden or Escalation: Whitfall Steppes? Those warfronts literally require you to zerg the middle. At least this one has four objectives to split teams up.
    Last edited by GLopez; 10-01-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

Shield of Telara

i like melee spec with my rogue.. but you cant say no to 2+k loss and 5+k wins...

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLopez View Post
    That's not how it has worked for me at all yet. Sucks for you.

Also, how is this any worse than Black Garden or Escalation: Whitfall Steppes? Those warfronts literally require you to zerg the middle. At least this one has four objectives to split teams up.
    Its very similar to black garden in this regard, but it takes the flaws in BG and cranks them up to 11.

With Whitefall Escalation, you have the opportunity to bypass the middle and steal shards from their base, so its quite a bit more nuanced. I've been in a lot of WF:E games where we got slaughtered in the middle but I was able to run stones from their base, breaking up their zerg as they split between trying to defend and hold mid. Many times we would then go on to win. Certainly the middle is important in WF:E but its not the only thing there is.

I just got done flanking people through multiple angles multiple times in one match. Why? Because the map and objectives are built so it's not a zerg.

I'm sorry you've been in crappy PUGs, but that doesn't make the warfront a zerg.
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

Soulwalker

This map is los heaven imo

Yeah, the map has an insane amount of LOS, which helps crush any team who is bad enough to zerg.

Also, I'm pretty sure you take more damage if you have stones near each other, which, again, hurts zergs.
    Zepol @ Seastone - Mage

Shadowlander

His points still stands though. The side that wins the initial onslaught wins the match. There's no coming back from losing that right off. Even if you get stones and run them down the bottom, in essence, you get far much more favor and prestige by just killing people over and over again. Most games are like 60+ kills to 20 kills. You end up with favor like 5000 to 2000. That's a huge difference. Even worst then any of the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayon View Post
    His points still stands though. The side that wins the initial onslaught wins the match. There's no coming back from losing that right off. Even if you get stones and run them down the bottom, in essence, you get far much more favor and prestige by just killing people over and over again. Most games are like 60+ kills to 20 kills. You end up with favor like 5000 to 2000. That's a huge difference. Even worst then any of the other ones.
    That's the current meta. The meta will evolve as people play it(though pretty slowly since it's weekend only and there's no easy form of premades vs premades). Most pvp in the beginning starts off zerg, then slowly evolves into more elegant play style. Zerg is just the easiest and will be what people fall back on in lieu of experience.

The game ends with the score 1000-90 (1000-400 in very close games)
    My close games have been more like 1000-800. We had one 1000-950 match where the guardians won the initial zerg and we were able to regroup and reclaim for the win, took a bit to reclaim the center, but it was quite possible.
    Last edited by Quasari Nova; 10-01-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Plane Touched

Hasn't been my experience at all. The initial battle has been pretty irrelevant since the stones are on different levels. I've seen lots of little skirmishes on the bottom level, and the fight in the middle (which is LOS awesome great use of terrain in combat which is good).

I love the map, sorry your getting sucked into zerg v. zerg.

Ascendant

So far its fun, will update more as I play more!!

As a warrior, this new warfronts is awesome, I don't feel as much like a fly under a microscope waiting to be picked off by some ranged dps, loads of LoS oppurtunites.

I think it's a bit dumb that you can farm where people come out the teleporters, but that's my only complaint with this well designed and fun warfront!

Rift Disciple

I'm with the OP; I played the new warfront; I instantly hated it; I am never going back to it with any of my toons. I think it is absolutely horribly designed; it's a fishbowl, not a battleground. There is no room for real tactics; no real way to apply ranged conflict, only melee; no real use for healing (there is no "back line" for healers to use).

So, I concur with the OP; it's zerg Vs. zerg. If you're a warrior, melee cleric, or melee rogue, it's probably a joy -- at least until all the other classes start refusing to play this warfront.

Hey, at least the graphics are pretty...

aux

It's black garden in a smaller arena but with twice as many players. So much fail, it's fun :3
    I'm so BORED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast