+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: A Simple Question that will generate lots of Stupid Answers

Default A Simple Question that will generate lots of Stupid Answers

What is the point of ranks if you can progress through them by losing?

Rift Chaser

experience counts for something
    Last edited by Linian; 09-25-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: rude.

Most the population would leave if you only gained prestige for winning, imagine all the badkids stuck at r1
    Last edited by AintEvenMadBro; 09-24-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Freyn likes boys in hotpants.

Rapsodia - p6 Stromcooler. I'm in ur warfrunts, hittin u for faive thousandz

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post

That's not really a simple question and seems to go to the heart of a lot of the issues with PvP here, or at least on this board.

You still learn things when you lose. You still get better when you lose. You're still practicing your skills when you lose.

Failure often teaches more lessons than success.

In example, if you take a martial art you often are required to practice/spar with people that are much higher ranked than you. They throw you around, kick you in the stomach, sweep your legs out from under you and generally demonstrate multiple things to you in order to teach you (or just for the fun of it).

Engaging in any competitive activity and only competing and winning against people that are at or below your skill level, and thus winning almost every time, will result in little or no improvement.

or

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

That's the concept; however, a lot of people here will say PvP ranks are only a reflection of gear. That may be true for some people, but I would argue that it's not the majority. I'm a lot better at the mechanics and thinking required for PvP now than I was at R1. So are most of the people I've been in WFs with for the last two months.

this would make sense if there was no gear disparity and everyone was equal.

Right now your idea, makes it more "rich get richer" than it already is.

Here's a simple case:

"how do R1 groups win against R8's" ?
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

Why do birds suddenly appear?

Quote Originally Posted by Adeezha View Post
    Why do birds suddenly appear?
    Every time you are near....

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rakkasa View Post
    That's not really a simple question and seems to go to the heart of a lot of the issues with PvP here, or at least on this board.

You still learn things when you lose. You still get better when you lose. You're still practicing your skills when you lose.

Failure often teaches more lessons than success.

In example, if you take a martial art you often are required to practice/spar with people that are much higher ranked than you. They throw you around, kick you in the stomach, sweep your legs out from under you and generally demonstrate multiple things to you in order to teach you (or just for the fun of it).

Engaging in any competitive activity and only competing and winning against people that are at or below your skill level, and thus winning almost every time, will result in little or no improvement.

or

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

That's the concept; however, a lot of people here will say PvP ranks are only a reflection of gear. That may be true for some people, but I would argue that it's not the majority. I'm a lot better at the mechanics and thinking required for PvP now than I was at R1. So are most of the people I've been in WFs with for the last two months.
    Speaking as someone that was never much into pvp, this seems to describe me pretty well. Since I've gotten beaten down lots, I have improved in pvp. open world and warfronts. Did I mention that I got beaten down a lot? Anyway, since then, and this will be some obvious things for most of you, I've set up keybinds and macros and, I've bound those macros to other keys. Belive me, I still get beaten down but, definitely not as much as I use to. Also, I have a better understanding of what my goal is in the warfronts. I also look at the maps while I'm there to see where we're congregating. Anyway, so what the point? I think Rakkasa said it pretty well. Seems reasonable. So, from what I've learned so far through the losses, its sorta like a reward or incentive that says, 'You're improving. Here's a lil something help you along.'

Because the character learns from thier mistakes so will constantly progress.. Unfortunatly this does not extend to a lot of players and they will likely repeat the same mistakes over and over so why make the character suffer for his controllers failings..
    Sureen - Conspiracy

A post spoken from the Heart contains passion, A post spoken from the head leads to intelligent debate,
    but since the majority of what I read is full of crap I guess most talk out of thier Arse

Because you losing doesn't often have to do with you, it has to so with the 19 bads you had to ****ing deal with. Wtb 5v5s
    ~Quiescent

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rakkasa View Post
    Every time you are near....
    Just like me, they long to be....

KK

That's the world we live in today. Everyone gets a participation trophy, if your willing to put in the time. The only recognition you get from being better then the scrubs is the occasional respect given by your peers.

Forced name change FTL

KK - Warrior - A-Hole - Greybriar
    <Trinity> Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kiirshaa View Post
    Just like me, they long to be....
    Close to me..... everybody now!

Rift Disciple

Imagine a world where there is a server imbalance. Guardians destroy Defiants early on in the WFs and since only the winners get rewards, soon they outnumber and out gear the Defiants.

Eventually, the server is full of R6 Guardians, and a smattering of highly skilled R4 Defiants that have clawed out some wins. Most of the rest of the Defiants get tired of not progressing and transfer servers or stop PVPing. Que times shoot up and now the Guardians are getting bored since they have 30-60min que times. The skilled Defiants will never really have a chance to compete.

Nobody wins.

In the current system, the guardians all make R6 first, but the general population of Defiants are R4 and still progressing. They may still lose more then they win, but losing can teach you quite a bit. They will eventually catch up. The skilled Defiants will eventually be able to compete. The unskilled will still be farmed by the skilled.

Of course, none of this includes AFKing your way to R6. I have not really seen much AFKers at all in my time in WFs. The one I can remember was booted out after a few minutes.

IMO, no system is perfect, but I believe our current system is a workable system.
    Mirason - Lvl 50 R8 Dom/Chloro Mage Sunrest

Shadowlander

false sence of progress and accomplishment = $

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast