+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Devouring Shadows being abused and nothing is done about it ?

Shadowlander

Default Devouring Shadows being abused and nothing is done about it ?

Seriously, how can Trion just ignore the state of abuse regarding Devouring Shadows, isn't it enough that AoE ihas ruined much of pvp, but spamming nothing else but DS by recasting it straight after GCD is pathetic, people are using DS as their single target damage dealing spell, something needs to be done about, its ruining any entertainment in group pvp.

Suggested Fix, Remove Initial Tick from Devouring shadow to stop it being abused and used it such fashion, delay first part of damage as part of its cycle.

Also, please reavaluate how you want AoE damage is being applied, single person being able to decimate 10-15 players over a short period of time and doing close to a million damage is really not fun.

As a mage, my class has become a 1 skill spamming class in some WF, most of us don't want that, we chose mage due to it being more complex and therefore more fun to play.

Other AoE classes also need to be looked at, all in all, AoE should be very situational and not a primary attack in every situation as its being used now.

Abused? This spell has been in the game through years of alpha testing, months of closed, open betas, and now 7 months of retail. Nothing has changed. It hits harder because of rank 7 and 8 gear combined with more people going 51 lock lately. Seriously shut up. It may need a damage tweak. Timing your ticks to do max dmg isn't abuse. And any lock who simply 1 button spams this spell is terrible anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobramac View Post
    Seriously, how can Trion just ignore the state of abuse regarding Devouring Shadows, isn't it enough that AoE ihas ruined much of pvp, but spamming nothing else but DS by recasting it straight after GCD is pathetic, people are using DS as their single target damage dealing spell, something needs to be done about, its ruining any entertainment in group pvp.

Suggested Fix, Remove Initial Tick from Devouring shadow to stop it being abused and used it such fashion, delay first part of damage as part of its cycle.

Also, please reavaluate how you want AoE damage is being applied, single person being able to decimate 10-15 players over a short period of time and doing close to a million damage is really not fun.

As a mage, my class has become a 1 skill spamming class in some WF, most of us don't want that, we chose mage due to it being more complex and therefore more fun to play.Other AoE classes also need to be looked at, all in all, AoE should be very situational and not a primary attack in every situation as its being used now.
    Here's an idea...

Duh, dont use it if "as a mage" you feel like there is no skill involved - though to be honest you are probably an annoyed rogue who forgot to simply walk out of the way a few feet, died and came bleating on the boards about it
    Last edited by Liandral; 09-22-2011 at 10:04 PM.

What you are really complaining about is Empowerd Darnkess not Devouring Shadows.
    Necromancer till the day i die!

Qia

Quote Originally Posted by Liandral View Post
    Here's an idea...

Duh, dont use it if "as a mage" you feel like there is no skill involved - though to be honest you are probably an annoyed rogue who forgot to simply walk out of the way a few feet, died and came bleating on the boards about it
    You simply cannot "run" away from the AOE. This is the problem with Devouring Shadows. If Devouring Shadows is placed so Rogue is the middle of the AOE circle, then the Rogue will not be able to escape the second tick (aka he will take 3 ticks if attacked by proper stopcaster) so saying that is kinda lame.

Also please, there is no need to put insults like this.
    Rogues are currently underpowered and if he is a Rogue he is QQ for a good reason.
    At the moment I have been playing my cleric and I pretty much ignore any rogue that I see. I am afraid as hell of Warriors+Mage aoe combinations, but Rogues are just lame.
    Ip

Qia

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanirenicus View Post
    What you are really complaining about is Empowerd Darnkess not Devouring Shadows.
    He is complaining about:

#show Devouring Shadows
    stopcasting
    cast Devouring Shadows
    Ip

Quote Originally Posted by Liandral View Post
    Here's an idea...

Derp Derp Empowring Derp + Devouring Derp...

Yeah but if warriors ever have macros like that... WTFIMTHEONLYDPSCLASSNERFWARRIORSTHEYOP!!!!

lol mages huh?

Wykar <GOON SQUAD> R8 Warrior Seastone

Quote Originally Posted by Qia View Post
    You simply cannot "run" away from the AOE. This is the problem with Devouring Shadows. If Devouring Shadows is placed so Rogue is the middle of the AOE circle, then the Rogue will not be able to escape the second tick (aka he will take 3 ticks if attacked by proper stopcaster) so saying that is kinda lame.

Also please, there is no need to put insults like this.
    Rogues are currently underpowered and if he is a Rogue he is QQ for a good reason.
    At the moment I have been playing my cleric and I pretty much ignore any rogue that I see. I am afraid as hell of Warriors+Mage aoe combinations, but Rogues are just lame.
    Hypocrisy at it's finest ^.^

What? I told you the truth and I am not trolling.

Ask on server Bloodiron how I insult Rogues in my warfront and mock Rogues/Dominators of defiants.
    and psssttt

I have 2 rogues
    Last edited by Liandral; 09-23-2011 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baph View Post
    Abused? This spell has been in the game through years of alpha testing, months of closed, open betas, and now 7 months of retail. Nothing has changed. It hits harder because of rank 7 and 8 gear combined with more people going 51 lock lately. Seriously shut up. It may need a damage tweak. Timing your ticks to do max dmg isn't abuse. And any lock who simply 1 button spams this spell is terrible anyway.
    made me lol! DEVOURING SHADOWS IS OP! 1.8k ticks = more burst than a warrior QQ warriors are supposed to be the burst kings :'(!!!!

But seriously trion 8 second cooldown please.
    Nerds In Denial
    GSB 5/5 RoS 4/4 RotP 4/4 HK 11/11 PVP 8/8 ID 3/8

Rift Master

If you stopcast at the 2-2.2 second mark every cast, you'll generate ~50% extra damage. That's clearly broken. They know about it. They're probably trying to decide how best to fix it (cool down matching the duration or remove the initial tick, only options really).

Chill.

I was thinking if the spell was slightly modified so....

Caster stops spell he then recieves damage (in one hit)= to remaining time left.. as the shadows devour caster from within that would so make the caster think twice about using cheese in the warfront.

For example it hits say 5x at 1500 he stops it after two ticks the caster then takes 4500 damage (with chance to crit) as shadows devour his very soul... ohh yeah that sounds even better to me now ive written it down, How many casters would be willing to abuse the spell after this happens to them once

P.S I am not being serious just thought this would be most amusing to watch happen one day
    Sureen - Conspiracy

A post spoken from the Heart contains passion, A post spoken from the head leads to intelligent debate,
    but since the majority of what I read is full of crap I guess most talk out of thier Arse

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by handerhank View Post
    If you stopcast at the 2-2.2 second mark every cast, you'll generate ~50% extra damage. That's clearly broken. They know about it. They're probably trying to decide how best to fix it (cool down matching the duration or remove the initial tick, only options really).

Chill.
    Yeah the double tap is what has to be fixed, when you go 51/15 lock/AM and double tap with Empowering darkness up at P8 the damage is pretty rediculous. It's far and away the highest damage a mage can do (probably best in game) and it's very easy to pull off, especially if you use the macro for it.

Mages need survival help for non chloro/lock builds but the double tap needs to go.
    Aerela <Esti Efiu> Sunrest Guardian Mage

What about flame storm? I find it to be a more effective AOE than DS.

When I do a random dungeon as DPS I will usually spam it and do great dps.

He is complaining about:

#show Devouring Shadows
    stopcasting
    cast Devouring Shadows
    Yeah, op doesn't understand what he's complaining about and most likely doesn't play a mage at high level, despite saying he does to falsely strengthen his argument. That being said, here's some solutions:

1) 2 second cooldown on devouring shadows. It's a 2 second tick right? If so, just put a 2 second cooldown on it and it can't be altered by /stopcasting.

2) Make stopcasting not work with Devouring Shadows or only work after 2 seconds. But then you could still break the cast by tapping forward then re-cast.

3) My favorite: Just double the mana cost. Or make the mana cost of aoe spells scale up to double the amount at level 50 so players can still use them at lower levels normally.

You guys complaining about mages that have spec'd for dps forget that we have little to no defensive capability (except with neddra's essence for 7 seconds, woohoo) and have an extremely lower armor rating. I mean are we just supposed to cast neural prod around and still just die when we're looked at?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Cobramac View Post
    but spamming nothing else but DS by recasting it straight after GCD
    durrrrrrrrrrr

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast