+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jorath

Thread: P4 Mage PvP Experience

Default P4 Mage PvP Experience

I usually troll the forums while I am at work and decided I would add something productive instead of counterproductive by sharing my experience rather then QQing or annoying people by being rude. By the way I love annoying people and don't take offense if I flame a post, its me having a good time and I do read and consider what you have to say and many times I will annoy people even if I agree with what they say.

P1 Mage Experience
    I didn't post my P1 mage experience so I'll do a quick rundown of my life as a P1. I ran only a 32/31/3 Chloro/Lock/AM spec because every other spec I tried was obliterated in 2 seconds, I couldn't move anyones health as a pyro and SC was just sad, though I liked the run buff. As the Chloro/Lock I got my face melted by warriors and rogues but held my own against other mages and basically me and clerics just kind of nodded at each other and went about our merry ways.

P4 Experience
    I'm P4 now and I still run the same Chloro/Lock spec. I like that now I usually have a choice if I am going to die or not now if I stay with the pack. I can survive long enough to kite far into friendly ranks where most people won't chase or those that do get killed. I spend most my time looking for people with 4k HP or mobs in scion and nuking them for bigger heals for my team. My damage is kinda sad so usually if someone has a decent healer I can't do much to them.

However without a healer I can usually kill most people that confront me if they are P6 or less. Warriors and certain types of rogues being the exception. I don't really have any good snares or control (fear and wither being on cast time). If I have to kite the then I can't heal people and have only my 3 instant heals from Chloro and my DR/Heal from Warlock to keep me alive. While this is alot of healing normally I can't do any damage and I'm in full kite mode until whatever baddies get on me get off.

Since Nature's Fury and Vilespores has a long cast time I find that if I am getting focused by a small group its usually better just to run. I have tried doing radiant spores AOE and DS spamming and that keeps me alive for an extra second or two but normally I can't outheal that kinda damage. Against 1 target it is very effective beacuse I wouldn't actually be able to get off a NF or VS because of casting delay.

Usually I come in top 10 DPS and top 5 healer. I find this alittle OP because I'm only P4, however I usually chalk it up to the fact that I don't die very much (perfering to kite rather then stand my ground) and that I'm consistantly doing DPS instead of running back. However my DPS doesn't really account for a whole lot other then softening people up because like I said my damage can easily be outhealed. I don't get very many killing blows in this spec and when I'm getting whacked by melee I can't heal anyone else and my cast time spells are useless.

I now have 2 other specs I play with. 51 Warlock/15 AM and 51 Dom 15 Am. With about 7k HP in my chloro lock spec I've found in P4 gear I can survive a few hits so I am more willing to try a few other specs. Normally if we have a lot of healers or if we just seem to be at a standoff where no one seems to die I will switch to 51 War. Spamming Radiate Death and ED Devouring I can really do some serious damage to people in tight clusters like the death grinder in Codex or in Black Garden. With Bloodthirsty on I get alot of life and while its ticking away I'm virtually impossible to kill, if I get low I pop Neddra's and Mortality and get back to full fast. (I'm glad BT is getting nerfed, it needs it).

I find that as P4 51 War my damage is not really all that great when the enemy has good healing support and sometimes I never move the enemy health. I see people moving out of the DS cloud which is smart and when they do that the damage is pretty sad and can easily be outhealed since I can't get the double tap effect and its hard to get more then 2 or 3 people at a time when they scatter and play smart. 1V1 I get my face crushed in this spec. Its really pathetic how fast I can die because my only real life saver is Neddras, Mortality being interupted and the % heal only being 50% and usually I will get a healing debuff so it will only be 25% when its done. I usually try to rely on my AOE fear and run away to the group. If they break it then I will throw down a stun, if it says immune then I'm usually a dead puppy.

My Dom spec I usually get into if we are getting beaten badly. As a Chlorolock I can't handle being focused so if we are being overrun then I usually drop fast. The warlock dies instantly and can't setup. The dom spec however has some fun tricks. I like squirreling warriors who get on me so I can run away, if they break it then detaunt works well. Since we are usually losing badly when I use this spec I start dropping Mass Betrayal and Traitorous influence and Storm shackle until i get a lot of Charge when I will hit my reflection aura and try to buy my team time to fight back. When on cool I usually sacrifice myself by charging the enemy and casting Mass Exhaustion on their backrank casters and healers while the team focuses down the warriors and rogues who ran forward.

The Dom spec doesn't do very well against casters and can only really buy myself some time with reflects and such. Against Melee I have enough tricks to keep myself alive. which is basically the exact opposite of the Chlorolock spec. I see alot of Immune when I'm in this spec, I don't indescriminately drop CCs but it gets interesting when you were counting on the 5 sec stun to work to find out that the the guy is still coming headlong at you. Sometimes I turn a battle, and sometimes nothing happens, I'm just glad I could by my team some time. Usually since we are being overrun before I even switch into this spec I die ALOT in this spec so its hard for me to tell how well it actually does.

I feel as I rank up the Dom spec will increase in power and be more usable and the Chlorolock as well. The warlock I feel will still do huge damage but will continue to get facerolled when targeted, usually this spec is best when I can hide inside friendly ranks.

Hope you liked my review of what its like to be a P4 Mage in warfronts!

Plane Touched

Default Dominator

Quote Originally Posted by Jorath View Post
    I usually troll the forums while I am at work and decided I would add something productive instead of counterproductive by sharing my experience rather then QQing or annoying people by being rude. By the way I love annoying people and don't take offense if I flame a post, its me having a good time and I do read and consider what you have to say and many times I will annoy people even if I agree with what they say.

P1 Mage Experience
    I didn't post my P1 mage experience so I'll do a quick rundown of my life as a P1. I ran only a 32/31/3 Chloro/Lock/AM spec because every other spec I tried was obliterated in 2 seconds, I couldn't move anyones health as a pyro and SC was just sad, though I liked the run buff. As the Chloro/Lock I got my face melted by warriors and rogues but held my own against other mages and basically me and clerics just kind of nodded at each other and went about our merry ways.

P4 Experience
    I'm P4 now and I still run the same Chloro/Lock spec. I like that now I usually have a choice if I am going to die or not now if I stay with the pack. I can survive long enough to kite far into friendly ranks where most people won't chase or those that do get killed. I spend most my time looking for people with 4k HP or mobs in scion and nuking them for bigger heals for my team. My damage is kinda sad so usually if someone has a decent healer I can't do much to them.

However without a healer I can usually kill most people that confront me if they are P6 or less. Warriors and certain types of rogues being the exception. I don't really have any good snares or control (fear and wither being on cast time). If I have to kite the then I can't heal people and have only my 3 instant heals from Chloro and my DR/Heal from Warlock to keep me alive. While this is alot of healing normally I can't do any damage and I'm in full kite mode until whatever baddies get on me get off.

Since Nature's Fury and Vilespores has a long cast time I find that if I am getting focused by a small group its usually better just to run. I have tried doing radiant spores AOE and DS spamming and that keeps me alive for an extra second or two but normally I can't outheal that kinda damage. Against 1 target it is very effective beacuse I wouldn't actually be able to get off a NF or VS because of casting delay.

Usually I come in top 10 DPS and top 5 healer. I find this alittle OP because I'm only P4, however I usually chalk it up to the fact that I don't die very much (perfering to kite rather then stand my ground) and that I'm consistantly doing DPS instead of running back. However my DPS doesn't really account for a whole lot other then softening people up because like I said my damage can easily be outhealed. I don't get very many killing blows in this spec and when I'm getting whacked by melee I can't heal anyone else and my cast time spells are useless.

I now have 2 other specs I play with. 51 Warlock/15 AM and 51 Dom 15 Am. With about 7k HP in my chloro lock spec I've found in P4 gear I can survive a few hits so I am more willing to try a few other specs. Normally if we have a lot of healers or if we just seem to be at a standoff where no one seems to die I will switch to 51 War. Spamming Radiate Death and ED Devouring I can really do some serious damage to people in tight clusters like the death grinder in Codex or in Black Garden. With Bloodthirsty on I get alot of life and while its ticking away I'm virtually impossible to kill, if I get low I pop Neddra's and Mortality and get back to full fast. (I'm glad BT is getting nerfed, it needs it).

I find that as P4 51 War my damage is not really all that great when the enemy has good healing support and sometimes I never move the enemy health. I see people moving out of the DS cloud which is smart and when they do that the damage is pretty sad and can easily be outhealed since I can't get the double tap effect and its hard to get more then 2 or 3 people at a time when they scatter and play smart. 1V1 I get my face crushed in this spec. Its really pathetic how fast I can die because my only real life saver is Neddras, Mortality being interupted and the % heal only being 50% and usually I will get a healing debuff so it will only be 25% when its done. I usually try to rely on my AOE fear and run away to the group. If they break it then I will throw down a stun, if it says immune then I'm usually a dead puppy.

My Dom spec I usually get into if we are getting beaten badly. As a Chlorolock I can't handle being focused so if we are being overrun then I usually drop fast. The warlock dies instantly and can't setup. The dom spec however has some fun tricks. I like squirreling warriors who get on me so I can run away, if they break it then detaunt works well. Since we are usually losing badly when I use this spec I start dropping Mass Betrayal and Traitorous influence and Storm shackle until i get a lot of Charge when I will hit my reflection aura and try to buy my team time to fight back. When on cool I usually sacrifice myself by charging the enemy and casting Mass Exhaustion on their backrank casters and healers while the team focuses down the warriors and rogues who ran forward.

The Dom spec doesn't do very well against casters and can only really buy myself some time with reflects and such. Against Melee I have enough tricks to keep myself alive. which is basically the exact opposite of the Chlorolock spec. I see alot of Immune when I'm in this spec, I don't indescriminately drop CCs but it gets interesting when you were counting on the 5 sec stun to work to find out that the the guy is still coming headlong at you. Sometimes I turn a battle, and sometimes nothing happens, I'm just glad I could by my team some time. Usually since we are being overrun before I even switch into this spec I die ALOT in this spec so its hard for me to tell how well it actually does.

I feel as I rank up the Dom spec will increase in power and be more usable and the Chlorolock as well. The warlock I feel will still do huge damage but will continue to get facerolled when targeted, usually this spec is best when I can hide inside friendly ranks.

Hope you liked my review of what its like to be a P4 Mage in warfronts!
    All Hail The Hypno Toad!

Your experience pretty much Mirrors mine from rank 1 to 4. I am Rank 7 now, soon to be Rank 8. I can promise you, that things will get allot better once you hit Rank 6. With full rank 6 Gear, your life expectancy improves sharply and Damage become allot better, especially with PvP Weapons and Crystal. You just have to remember one thing: Maximize your Valor. Spend time farming a complete Sigil with 224 Valour and Valour Runes for Helmet and Chest. Together with gear, Valour will hit 1150 in no time, which is 46% Damage Reduction.

You Description of the Dominator is a bit Gloomy, IMHO. Sure, it needs a few improvements here and there, due to bad Mechanics implementations (Diminishing Returns) and ill thought through Nerfs. Still, nothing owns a group of casters, like a Dominator using Traitorous Influence, Mass Betrayal, Spell Reflect and finally Storm Shackles. Somehow it NEVER GETS OLD

SC is pretty useless, unless you go SC44, AM15! Those 4k Lightning Burst Crits on maximized Valour Targets are Lethal. The PvP Crystal and PvP Weapons is HUGE Boost. Those PvE Scrub Clerics gets blown away with 6K Crits. An eternal source of Laughter

My Advice:

Keep playing, things will only get better and more fun. Especially the jump from Rank 4 to 6 makes a big Difference. Always remember, that we play to have fun. If that is not possible, quit and do something else.

Regards

Acererak
    Last edited by Acererak; 09-21-2011 at 08:49 AM.

I find 32 Chlor/34 Necro to have a bit more survivability and damage because of Soul Purge, Lich Form and Pets (Revanant and Zealot) which is what i ran mostly at P1 and P4.
    Necromancer till the day i die!

Laugh, yea like I said normally I only switch to dominator when we are getting overrun so typically I'm fighting a losing battle trying to turn the tide for my team. Even the possibility that a single P4 dominator can do that especially in larger WFs like Scion and Whitefall leads to the credibility that its a extremely powerful class.

I was waiting till P6 to try my hand at SC and pyro again. I'll send out another report when I get there, I just hit P5. I am working hard toward valor cap and thats been my goal, just missing the head enchant and the Revered essences.

So far I have the most fun playing Chlorlock just because I don't die instantly playing it. I would like to see some of that fun factor in the other spec and I feel that it is only the difference in gear that prevents me from enjoying those specs.

As for the post about Chlor/Necro it just seems that I lose so much trying that, The mana conversion, health regen, the 2 Dr buffs, the extra HP, and like 27% spell power and Opportunity is win. Though the idea of having soul purge is nice because its instant cast instant recast. I wish maybe the damage on mortality or the heal was nerfed and that it was instant cast and instant recast then I could have something nice to bring out.
    Last edited by Jorath; 09-21-2011 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks for the rundown. Ive never understood this though. I ranked a rogue to lvl 50, and a warrior. Had a lot of fun but then decided to join a guild on the Guardian side. I decided to rank up a mage. When I hit 50 I found my survivability was amazing. I always manage to stay away from trouble by keeping myself at max distance from the nearest foe and always been aware of who is coming and where. In the earlier ranks the best method is to be a complete coward. If someone even looks in your general direction.....RUN. If you stay alive your abillity to continue doing dmg increases. This becomes less important after R6, but is still good practice. I ran a full warlock from R1 and I have always been near the top of the charts, and now at R8, am almost always highest in dmg and mostly kbs.
    Better to be a live coward, than a dead hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorath View Post
    As for the post about Chlor/Necro it just seems that I lose so much trying that, The mana conversion, health regen, the 2 Dr buffs, the extra HP, and like 27% spell power and Opportunity is win. Though the idea of having soul purge is nice because its instant cast instant recast. I wish maybe the damage on mortality or the heal was nerfed and that it was instant cast and instant recast then I could have something nice to bring out.
    I agree having 27% spell power and the extra hp is legit but the extra pet damage can equal or be a bit better in some situations as long as your keeping Necrosis and Deathly Calling up using Grave Rot, also lets not forget the extra little heals and 30% healing debuff you can instantly cast with no CD, you can put on healers or other targets if your constantly switching.

You also become a much better support healer with a spammable heal, Life Shift and Blood Binding (Hot)which is effected by Call of Spring's 15% more healing, not sure if blood bindings effected by it though. Even though those two spells damage the mage you can just heal that back with Soul Purge or Bloom.

Life Shift and Blood Binding is a decent replacement for Chloro's 51 point Natrual healing and again since you lack Natrual Healing to heal your self thats where Soul Purge comes into play. Its a good support healing spec that can put out some decent damage.

Seriously though i've almost toped healing done in some WF's with that hybrid spec, while coming in at 4th or 5th on damage. I know I know im a Necro Nerd =D
    Last edited by Jeanirenicus; 09-21-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Necromancer till the day i die!

Nice read OP, thanks. Btw, there's no reason you shouldn't be in top 5 heals at a lower rank. Good healers are good healers.

I enjoyed reading your experience so far.

I still use my old War/Dom/AM spec when I really REALLY want to kill someone. Now mostly my dps spec that has no cooldowns (to the dps anyway) is 51 warlock and varying levels of elemental and arch mage.

+ Reply to Thread