+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Snivonim

Thread: Warfront Suggestion: Weight the Matches Based on Rank - read on...

Telaran

Default Warfront Suggestion: Weight the Matches Based on Rank - read on...

I am NOT suggesting that Warfronts be segreagated as I believe higher ranks should have their chance to show their stuff with the plebes. However, in the interest of simply making the warfronts more challenging and competetive for both sides (and thus fun), I have a simple solution for balancing mechanincs.
    Simply weight the value of PvP ranks and hold the cues til they balance out. For instance:
    R8 = 10pts
    R7 = 8 Pts
    R6 = 7 Pts
    R5 = 5 Pts
    R4 = 4 Pts
    R3 = 3 Pts
    R2 = 2 Pts
    R0-1 = 1 Pt
    Hold the cues til the sides are with in 5 or 10 points of each other (does not need to be a 1 to 1 match)
    Then make sure the sides are within 1 or 2 healers of each other.
    This might make it so that some matches are 15 lower levls vs. 10 higher - but it will be much more fun and challenging for both sides.
    I recognize that cue times might be a little longer, but I think most people would agree that cueing for a match that isn't a match at all isn't worth it anyways. And in that sense, consider how many mataches you have to play now to find even one that is actually a legitimate competetion and really any fun.. for either side.

P.s. The above numbers are not meant to be literal necesarily - just an example.

Soulwalker

Yea because of the unbalance in players its very hard to get a fair game. Its always been known the defiant have the edge. Why trion picks sides and gives them better spawn location's in the open world, better consumables, trinkets and give them stealth and so on and so on is really DUMB and beyond me. but cuz of all this, its total unfair in warfronts... most players play defiant its a fact. So they will have more higher ranks and more healers for the warfronts....more premades and so on.... so unless they want to totally kill the games pvp they will have to change something. I know a lot of players that quit or went defiant cuz of this and it sucks that a game is this one sided...........

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Siccness View Post
    Yea because of the unbalance in players its very hard to get a fair game. Its always been known the defiant have the edge. Why trion picks sides and gives them better spawn location's in the open world, better consumables, trinkets and give them stealth and so on and so on is really DUMB and beyond me. but cuz of all this, its total unfair in warfronts... most players play defiant its a fact. So they will have more higher ranks and more healers for the warfronts....more premades and so on.... so unless they want to totally kill the games pvp they will have to change something. I know a lot of players that quit or went defiant cuz of this and it sucks that a game is this one sided...........
    Guardians queue faster. They get more games. They rank up faster. They have better gear. They win more.

Now on to something that actually bothers me.

Most of the time when I join a WF the game doesn't fill up before it starts. What this means is there are 7 guardians and 5 defiants. There are always more guardians than defiants if the match starts without being full. Rarely there is an equal number, but the defiants always get the next person. I swear the WFs are loaded by get a guardian then get a defiant.

Starting out outnumbered generally leads to a wipe for the smaller number. The rest of the match is a bunch of guys running in one at a time and never regrouping. Guardians win easily because they had the upper hand in the beginning and the defiants can't think for a second to group up and work as a team.

Finally I would like to say that standing on the edge and firing down in BG is the worst idea ever when they push you back. Warriors just teleport up to you and stay near the edge to be healed while killing you. Just walk to the left and come down and flank them. I promise it will work better than standing on the edge of the ledge and you might actually get a kill.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicar View Post
    Guardians queue faster. They get more games. They rank up faster. They have better gear. They win more.

Now on to something that actually bothers me.

Most of the time when I join a WF the game doesn't fill up before it starts. What this means is there are 7 guardians and 5 defiants. There are always more guardians than defiants if the match starts without being full. Rarely there is an equal number, but the defiants always get the next person. I swear the WFs are loaded by get a guardian then get a defiant.

Starting out outnumbered generally leads to a wipe for the smaller number. The rest of the match is a bunch of guys running in one at a time and never regrouping. Guardians win easily because they had the upper hand in the beginning and the defiants can't think for a second to group up and work as a team.

Finally I would like to say that standing on the edge and firing down in BG is the worst idea ever when they push you back. Warriors just teleport up to you and stay near the edge to be healed while killing you. Just walk to the left and come down and flank them. I promise it will work better than standing on the edge of the ledge and you might actually get a kill.
    Despite the fact that I play Guardian (R4 Warrior), and am literally run over in Warfront PvP constantly due to mismached sides, I do not believe this is becasue Guardians or Defiants are inherrantly a stronger faction than the other. In fact I think the factions and classes (with the exception of clerics, but thats another post..) are reasonably balanced.

The problem is that one faction or the other on a server is dominating in PvP because they have more high Rank PvP players/Gear. And by dominating I mean - utterly destroying the other side in a matter of a few minutes in a way that has absolutely nothing to do with some brilliant coordinated effort - just out DPS out Heal by a huge margin.

THis problem can be fixed by creating a weighted system for Warfront cues as I mentioned. You also have a point that sometimes the match starts with one team out numbering the other as well (without any balancing mechanics) and that is also a problem. Clearly the Warfront cueing mechanics need some major work as this is a big part of the game and one which is causing more frustration to players than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicar View Post
    Meh, I"m a guardian. Played 4 matches last night. Won the first, then lost the last 3 by VERY wide margins.

To the point of the matter, they cannot do anything with ranks unless they first put all servers on the same queue. Let's go Trion. GET BUSY!
    Last edited by xeshaka; 09-21-2011 at 06:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Effi View Post
    I have seen the desecrations they have done, the murders they have wrought, and it can be no sin to be the hand of justice.

Another thread to increase the warfront queue times for the community because some scrub that has one level 50 of each calling is getting rolled by R8's that play only one calling. If you're not having fun, maybe you should have stuck with your original calling since launch like the rest of us did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Another thread to increase the warfront queue times for the community because some scrub that has one level 50 of each calling is getting rolled by R8's that play only one calling. If you're not having fun, maybe you should have stuck with your original calling since launch like the rest of us did.
    Troll.. /delete.

Quote Originally Posted by Snivonim View Post
    Troll.. /delete.
    Queue times are already bad on my shard, I don't need your bad idea to make it worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Plane Touched

WF based on rank are bad cuz of queue times
    Higher u got on rank>less players to rank with>less WF>even more time to rank up

sorry but it's not a solution
    I quited Rift, the lack of end game pvp+Gear based game+AoE zerg fest on many WF just kill the way i like pvp. (am p7,5)
    Small Skirmishes all over the place
    Currently am playing SC2 and Team Fotress 2, if you like skill based balanced games, try then out, btw Team Fotress 2 is now FREE!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Queue times are already bad on my shard, I don't need your bad idea to make it worse.
    Doesn't really matter if the cue times are instantaneous if you are cueing for a match which is going to suck. Most people would wait another minute to ensure a Warfront that they had at least a slight chance of winning. And, for the record, I have rarely had an problem cueing for a match.

Rift Chaser

Make WF's better by making queues longer? No way.

Just get in there, take your lumps and level up like the rest of us.

MMO = Gear Based

If you don't like it, don't PvP.

It seems to me this is a good idea that the OP has made. I think it deserves consideration by Trion.

I also would like to see the clusters of shards at least changed up, if not more shards put together. I'd like to see more of a variety of opponents.

I don't mind a few more minutes of queues... Last night when I would queue for a WF in my 40s range toon, I think the first 3 or 4 pops I was transported into a game almost finished. Nice to receive xp/favor for 2 seconds, as I loaded in finding that the WF had just ended.... finally got some full WFs though.

The only thing I might balk at is the waiting for a cleric. While healing, of course, is great to have, teamwork trumps that. And I have been in many pug WFs that we have won simply because of that or lost because the Guardians were more of a team than we were.

Don't forget, there are a lot of clerics who come in as DPS but do have heals, as do chloros, and heal the group. Have to allow that and not insist that + is next to their name. I'm one of them.
    Last edited by Excelsia; 09-21-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakier View Post
    WF based on rank are bad cuz of queue times
    Higher u got on rank>less players to rank with>less WF>even more time to rank up

sorry but it's not a solution
    You are not understanding. With what I am suggesting you dont need to match a R8 with another R8 - you can match a R8 with 4 Rank 1's or 2 Rank 4's or whatever combination works out to an even fight.

And like I said, it doesn't have to be perfectly even, it can be within a few points too.

It should not affect cue times signifigantly as there always plenty of low ranks to mix and match with.

What it would do is prevent a group of 12 R8 guildies form gettingin a warfront and holding it forever. I recognize this would irritate a few - but it would definitely make many more people happy then it would irk a few people who get their jollies fishing in a barrel.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by ironzerg View Post

MMO = Gear Based

I undestand and respect your position. I do not however agree.

I think PvP should be first skill and group cooperation based, with gear adding slight, but not disproportionate advantages. But that is just IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ironzerg View Post

MMO = Gear Based

I agree completely with you and kinda with the OP (but not entirely.) I play on a PvE server and enjoy the WFs as a way to kill time. When I was leveling up the WFs were fun and balanced for the most part. After hitting 50 I focused more on end-game PvE and very little on PvP. Now I'm trying to catch back up with PvP and find it kinda frustrating. I'm up to R2 and almost to 3. I found that just making R2 made a huge difference. Maybe a split between R1-4 and R5-8 would help? But I really don't think it will. The R2 gear alone gives you all the valor you'll be getting anyway, the rest is just DPS/health.

Personally I believe that either more shards in the PvP LFG pool or rotating the shards in each pool may make it more diverse than anything. That way you aren't getting steam-rolled by/steam-rolling the same people every day/week.
    Aegis - Faeblight

Tyleet, Laurania, Oddbit

+ Reply to Thread