+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Second 5v5 Tournament

Default Second 5v5 Tournament

I know that a lot of really great PVP'ers have already left RIFT because of the lack of competitive PVP. I would like to know if there is any interest in a second 5v5 PVP tournament.

Format (this is only rough as it would all depend on the number of teams):
    - Tournament held over 3-4 days between 6-9pm server
    - Matches would be held at Faen's Grotto in Shimmersand on a designated server. Faen's grotto provides a great spectator area, no NPC's, obstacles and good team starting points.
    - Probably a swiss/point based tournament with a group round followed by winners and losers brackets. If too many teams want to register, it would probably have to be single elimination format due to factions.
    - No composition/spec restriction
    - Match results and timetables would be advertised prior to the tournament start and updated each day of the tourney on a website that would also (hopefully) provide a livestream, replays and highlights.

The tourney would be coordinated via website / vent / and tournament guilds

So if you have a competetive 5's team that would be interested in participating, or if you have any ideas on how you would like to see a tournament run, OR you think this idea totally sucks and have any other player-run competitive PVP ideas.. post post post.

I am just bored with WF's/zergs/dead worldPVP and looking for something to do
    Last edited by Cataminuet; 09-19-2011 at 02:40 AM.
    Minicat R8 Battlebard
    Affinity @Dayblind

You will have to say what consumables are allowed and aren't allowed.

Additionally as event organizer if you want it to be successful and live until the end, you cant use the banned consumables yourself.

Since the last tournament was a catastrophic failure, and 5-man groups were caught breaking their own rules, morale for this is about zero amongst the game's pvp'rs to transfer servers for another bout of shenanigans

Secondly, a lot of pvp'ing groups will tell you that Rift is not balanced around 5v5. This isn't WoW... but I know 5-man is burned into most's minds. 10v10 exposes the variety and true talent capabilities of a team here, since you can include many other options that aren't warlock, dom, two heals and a (insert any warrior here).

Chloro, bard, archon, warlord, vk, mm... see there's so much variety that can really add to a better dynamic. I would be more inclined to consider participating in a 10v10 tournament.
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

Quote Originally Posted by Menaace View Post
    10v10 exposes the variety and true talent capabilities of a team here, since you can include many other options that aren't warlock, dom, two heals and a (insert any warrior here).

Chloro, bard, archon, warlord, vk, mm... see there's so much variety that can really add to a better dynamic. I would be more inclined to consider participating in a 10v10 tournament.
    Exactly, which is why in WoW Rated BG's provided more flexibility in Specs and allowed you to play with your favorite spec from time to time. In a 3v3 or 5v5 Arena setting your most likely going to be pigeonhole into playing an top tier soul or an FOTM soul.
    Last edited by Jeanirenicus; 09-19-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    Necromancer till the day i die!

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanirenicus View Post
    Exactly, which is why in WoW Rated BG's provided more flexibility in Specs and allowed you to play with your favorite spec from time to time. In a 3v3 or 5v5 Arena setting your most likely going to be pigeonhole into playing an top tier soul or an FOTM soul.
    you may also want to host this on a PVE server to reduce *** hats ability to disrupt your tourament.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazskin View Post
    you may also want to host this on a PVE server to reduce *** hats ability to disrupt your tourament.
    How would that stop them? I'm confused.

If you /pvp to 5v5, that person that wants to troll you, and **** with you they're gonna /pvp to **** with you changing nothing.

Since the last tournament was a catastrophic failure, and 5-man groups were caught breaking their own rules, morale for this is about zero amongst the game's pvp'rs to transfer servers for another bout of shenanigans

Secondly, a lot of pvp'ing groups will tell you that Rift is not balanced around 5v5. This isn't WoW... but I know 5-man is burned into most's minds. 10v10 exposes the variety and true talent capabilities of a team here, since you can include many other options that aren't warlock, dom, two heals and a (insert any warrior here).

As the event organizer I would not be participating, therefore I have no external agenda and no bias to 'bend any rules'. The rules would be fixed and each match would be refereed to try and limit the shenanigans.

I also agree, the 10v10 dynamic is far more interesting both from a participant point of view and for spectators especially if the groups have a reasonable area to work in like the grotto. It also makes it easier for me to organize as it would limit the number of teams participating. The only thing that concerns me is getting enough teams together.

Are there anymore that would be interested in fielding a 10v10?
    Minicat R8 Battlebard
    Affinity @Dayblind

Quote Originally Posted by Grazskin View Post
    This is why we chose the Shimmersand grotto. Unless you have completed the long and annoying questline, you can't get in. By putting tourney groups in faction guilds we can rally anyone who hasn't completed the quest in to compete and limit spectators. Anyone who wants to watch can watch the livestream/replays, be in one of the participant guilds or take the time to do the quest in advance. Given that it takes a while, hopefully all the jerks will get bored before they finish it

Additionally the grotto has a very clear 'participation' zone. It would be quite easy to see anyone trying to be a d0uche and since the grotto would likely be full of high end PvP'ers... I would wish them the best of luck ;)
    Last edited by Cataminuet; 09-19-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Minicat R8 Battlebard
    Affinity @Dayblind

Plane Walker

Our ideal 5s was actually not cleric/cleric/mage/mage/war, it's simply what we had available to play with. We have a much better 5s composition that never got to see the light of day, unfortunately.
    Ekkoh <Tabula Rasa>
    Laethys
    11/11

Ascendant

I seriously doubt there are enough 5 man teams left in this game to do this.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    You will have to say what consumables are allowed and aren't allowed.

Additionally as event organizer if you want it to be successful and live until the end, you cant use the banned consumables yourself.
    Best rift forums post ever.

I loled. Then I lolled again... Then I liked.

The last tournament was an epic fail. I would not be Xferring for another unless it was well planned out. However the number of 5 man teams, or guilds that can field 10 core players ( we aren't all pain train or affinity) is in exponential decline. Good idea, just too late in the cycle to happen.
    Last edited by apotheosis1; 09-19-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iEchoic View Post
    Our ideal 5s was actually not cleric/cleric/mage/mage/war, it's simply what we had available to play with. We have a much better 5s composition that never got to see the light of day, unfortunately.
    lol yea I hear ya.

There's too much variety you can go with in Rift, the failure is that there are so many "joke builds" that you can honestly win without trying too extremely hard, hence why small scale combat sort of can't be balanced easily.

For instance: I jokingly opted to take 5 chlorodoms stacking endurance runes, endurance lessers, Eth trinkets, anti-silence enchants, and challenged the thread to a hypothetical 5v5 to ask how to beat 15 Split personalities focus firing one guy, added to 5 timed TI's, 5 timed reflective presences etc... nobody really had a really good answer

And the worst part of Rift, is that when the group size in a fight gets bigger (like 20v20), it then all boils down to the gear level of your healers (i.e. overall hps) for victory, no matter what your dps is. The imbalance of classes on a large scale is proven by the the fact that it's almost always one raid completely dominating the other, instead of each losing a lot of players before victory happens.
    Menaace - P50 Mage, Annihilator, Executioner, <MMAC> Guild Leader
    Talent has no gearscore
    MMAC vs Vinco 20v20
    Menaace 1.7, 5-Spec, PvP VIDEO
    MMAC vs TFS 10v10's Episode 1 (with commentary)

Quote Originally Posted by apotheosis1 View Post
    The last tournament was an epic fail. I would not be Xferring for another unless it was well planned out. However the number of 5 man teams, or guilds that can field 10 core players ( we aren't all pain train or affinity) is in exponential decline. Good idea, just too late in the cycle to happen.
    Yeah I had a feeling this was going to be the case
    Minicat R8 Battlebard
    Affinity @Dayblind

Quote Originally Posted by Cataminuet View Post
    Yeah I had a feeling this was going to be the case
    Not enough defiant. If there was guarantee of a decent amount of defiant teams i don't doubt that you could field five to eight guardian five mans.

I also think the tournament didn't take of because...well....power was hosting it

honestly....the savior to something like this would be mmac or empire or invincible. They have the numbers to field several geared and balanced teams each.

That's if they don't use their huge roster to field only a single a team.
    Last edited by Puzzlebox; 09-21-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

Ascendant

same faction arenas or group duels woulda bought this game at least a couple more months.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast