+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Why do people think keybinds = skill?

  1. #1
    Rift Master A Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    692

    Default Why do people think keybinds = skill?

    I don't click, but I don't think that if someone does click that they're a noob. Why do some people think # of keybinds = skill?

    If you're a bad player and you click, you're bad. If you're a bad player and you have keybinds, you're still bad, the keybinds won't help.
    Last edited by A Mage; 09-18-2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

  2. #2
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    494

    Default

    For PvP- you are faster with keybinds. Specially if you play a class that has to move a lot. Also if (worst case example) you have to first click on your target, than click on that skill you want...

    If you're a healer chances are that target is already dead than. If you're a melee chances are that target has already moved out of your range.
    In PvE you can be a clicker all you like- not that much of an impact. In PvP there's usually worlds between clickers and keybinders

  3. #3
    Rift Master A Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulia View Post
    For PvP- you are faster with keybinds. Specially if you play a class that has to move a lot. Also if (worst case example) you have to first click on your target, than click on that skill you want...

    If you're a healer chances are that target is already dead than. If you're a melee chances are that target has already moved out of your range.
    In PvE you can be a clicker all you like- not that much of an impact. In PvP there's usually worlds between clickers and keybinders
    So, actually, if you can click and do good at the same time you're better than the people who keybind?
    Xail - R41 Mage
    Guardian
    <We Are Legend>

  4. #4
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Mage View Post
    I don't click, but I don't think that if someone does click that they're a noob. Why do some people think # of keybinds = skill?

    If you're a bad player and you click, you're bad. If you're a bad player and you have keybinds, you're still bad, the keybinds won't help.
    I laugh at people who actually think controller/play method/configuration deems skill. I remember in my Q3 days at Quakecon some people (some really good players!) had the craziest setups. I saw people use completely weird key bindings aside from WASD. I personally used the keypad on the keyboard to play all FPS. I even knew somebody who used a mouse in his right hand, and had a rumblepad on his lap, he used the mouse to look around, the joystick on the rumblepad to walk, did some stuff with the buttons, and even had a button he used by raising his leg and bumping the desk above him with the controller and hitting a button lmao. He was good though. Control configuration is just a preference and you would be surprised what people can perform with. So when people say "your bad cause you click", it's pretty silly. If the person kills you, they kill you.

    For this game?

    I have a split keyboard so 7 through + is annoying to hit. But I use 1 - 6 + r + f for all my keybindings and click the rest. Of course, I clicked 100% in my prior game Eq2. Which coming from Eq2 the GCD makes the concept of clicking as fast as you can much easier. You have so much time in between abilities, but I do try to keep my reactive type effects as keyboard binds so I can hit them easier when they pop.
    Last edited by Violacea; 09-18-2011 at 12:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A Mage View Post
    So, actually, if you can click and do good at the same time you're better than the people who keybind?
    Nah, there are only very few people who can react as fast by clickling as by keybinding. Or could you click the key on a virtual keyboard as fast as you can type

    Nothing to do with skill only with how fast you are and opens up possibilities for quick livesavings and such for example

  6. #6
    Ascendant Ajax1114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Speed is the reason people make the claim, but as others have indicated, preference matters much more than how you bind and whether or not you do bind.

    Some people are just really fast at clicking. I know I would never be fast enough at clicking to outmatch some of my keybinds, but that's just me.

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Granted the fastest way to do things is keybinds.

    This is the same as typing. The standard way that uses all your fingers will be fastest. I use only half my fingers but I'm fast with it but taking the time to learn the proper way I could potentially get faster.

    That and the way I move using the mouse makes hitting buttons tricky and difficult at best and with the fast pace of combat it will slow you down.

    Can a clicker do good in pvp/pve? Most definitely. Is binding your keys better and will give you faster, more consistant results? I think so.

    Raitoken Rank 8 Rogue | Octuris Rank 2 Mage
    Member of <The Fallen Sons>, Freeholme Server

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    138

    Default

    You click you die..

    It isn't a matter of being able to hit an ability fast enough (Although that also comes into play.) It is a matter of just what you are looking at while playing.

    To click, you are taking your eyes off of the fight, and what your opponent is doing, in favor of what your character is trying to do. This works for PvE where you do the same rotation over and over again. But for PvP, you can't do the same rotation over and over again, it isn't as effective. And even then, you miss a lot of what is going on in a fight. You miss the rogue that just came up behind the rock and stealthed, you miss the abilities and rotations that your opponent is trying to do, and you miss your team mates dieing and or running away. When every detail counts, why would you want to be transfixed on an ability bar?

    This is even more important for melee classes. Hence their are so many terrible rogues in this game. A rogue clicking? Ya, their dead. Pick a class that doesn't require you to pay attention. Hell, just play a bard.

    - Ice_Hole of OMG Im Drunk

  9. #9
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Hole View Post
    You click you die..

    It isn't a matter of being able to hit an ability fast enough (Although that also comes into play.) It is a matter of just what you are looking at while playing.

    To click, you are taking your eyes off of the fight, and what your opponent is doing, in favor of what your character is trying to do. This works for PvE where you do the same rotation over and over again. But for PvP, you can't do the same rotation over and over again, it isn't as effective. And even then, you miss a lot of what is going on in a fight. You miss the rogue that just came up behind the rock and stealthed, you miss the abilities and rotations that your opponent is trying to do, and you miss your team mates dieing and or running away. When every detail counts, why would you want to be transfixed on an ability bar?

    This is even more important for melee classes. Hence their are so many terrible rogues in this game. A rogue clicking? Ya, their dead. Pick a class that doesn't require you to pay attention. Hell, just play a bard.

    - Ice_Hole of OMG Im Drunk
    This. If you aren't paying attention to the fight (looking at what you are clicking=not paying attention to the fight), you are at a severe disadvantage.
    Last edited by AngelOfTheGuardians; 09-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.


    Don't get stuck in the hay.

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    Show me someone who can keep their eyes focused on what's happening on the field at the same time as they quickly and reliably click on all of their abilities at all times and I'd be satisfied that clicking could be on par with keybinds/mouse movement. I see the UI of your average clicker with stacked action bars and icons spaced out with gaps so they don't accidentally click on the wrong ability and all I see is a wad of wasted screen space because someone doesn't want to adjust what they do. Which is fine. Their dime, their UI, their playstyle. They want to be very careful about how quickly they assert the opinion that clicking is on par with keybinds.

  11. #11
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelOfTheGuardians View Post
    This. If you aren't paying attention to the fight (looking at what you are clicking=not paying attention to the fight), you are at a severe disadvantage.
    Continued:

    That's before you are adding in other variables, such as strafing if you are melee. It's just that much harder to play effectively while clicking. Why do you need to strafe as and vs. a melee? Simple. If your opponent gets behind you, you aren't attacking him. Turning with WASD is much slower than strafing, so your opponent can be behind you most of the time, meaning he barely gets hit and you are always getting hit.

    Casters also need to turn with a mouse instead of WASD and strafe (sometimes) since a strafing melee with always be out of their LoS if they don't.
    Last edited by AngelOfTheGuardians; 09-18-2011 at 01:28 PM.


    Don't get stuck in the hay.

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    115

    Default

    HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME, I BOUND

    Z, X. C. V, B, T ,Y G, H, J, ~


    Does this mean I win at teh PVP?

    KAY?

  13. #13
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironsolid View Post
    HEY GUYS LOOK AT ME, I BOUND

    Z, X. C. V, B, T ,Y G, H, J, ~


    Does this mean I win at teh PVP?

    KAY?
    Lol. I don't think anyone actually thinks that keybinding alone is going to make you win in PvP. It's just better than clicking by a long shot. Anyone who disagrees is either one of the very few who can effectively click and pay attention to the fight at the same time or they are in denial. There's no disadvantage to not having to look at your keyboard while fighting that I can think of.

    There's this warrior I've seen in a few warfronts who does nothing but stand still when she (female character so I guess it's a she) fights. And she doesn't do well. I wonder why....
    Last edited by AngelOfTheGuardians; 09-18-2011 at 01:42 PM.


    Don't get stuck in the hay.

  14. #14
    Ascendant Ajax1114's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Some of the arguments in favor of the superiority of keybinds forget a couple of key things:
    1) Not everyone who uses keybinds has an efficient keybind setup.
    2) Not everyone who uses keybinds is paying attention to the fight around them at large.

    I actually have a tendency to glance at my abilities sometimes, even when I'm using a keybind. Call me bad, but my abilities do have CDs that I need to keep an eye on.

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser jeffreyac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax1114 View Post
    Some of the arguments in favor of the superiority of keybinds forget a couple of key things:
    1) Not everyone who uses keybinds has an efficient keybind setup.
    2) Not everyone who uses keybinds is paying attention to the fight around them at large.

    I actually have a tendency to glance at my abilities sometimes, even when I'm using a keybind. Call me bad, but my abilities do have CDs that I need to keep an eye on.
    I do this, too, but I'm slowly realizing that I'm at a disadvantage to the macro crowd - why actualy watch your cooldowns, when you can macro your abilities, spam the button and have the macro fire off whichever cooldown is up for you?



    Sorry, I think I got my bitterness in your thread...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts