Closed Thread

Thread: Question about Stealth and PVP

Soulwalker

Default Question about Stealth and PVP

So I'm an assassin, as one can imagine due to the title. I'll be in stealth and walking through the battlefield, just spawned in, not near ANYONE, and then suddenly people just run right up to me and kill me, while I'm in stealth.

I'm a little confused as to why this is happening. What skills reveal invisible units more than 50 meters away?

Archmage has an ability Ward of Detection that reads - "places a ward of detection of the ground of the targetted location and reveals any stealthed enemies in or entering the area, lasts for 30s" on a 30s cooldown. Only one I am aware of off hand.

When you say enemies, are you talking npc/mobs or enemy players?

I am aware of a bug where computer-controlled NPC's, if aggro'd previously/currently, sometimes chase you and attack even though you are stealthed. Not aware of any current bugs/hacks where human players can do it, tho - and they removed the exploit where you could be marked in a wf and have the mark still visible when you were stealthed...

...but then again, maybe you've discovered a new one... anything particular about what you were doing, where you were, or anything?

Soulwalker

I'm talking about players. It was a warrior. I wasn't near anyone, and he just ran right up to me and attacked/killed me. This happened in many instances, and I wasn't near any key locations, all of the attacks were in different area's (Where I was seen being invisible), all done by the same warrior (Who seemed to have rift blade as a spec.)

A warrior with a pet has an ability to see stealth further away than most people (I don't know the range). But as an assassin, you should learn the buff so you can give a wide birth accordingly when you don't want to be spotted. Also, I'm assuming you took the talents that decrease being discovered while stealthed. Also, if you aren't level 50, higher level players can see you much further away regardless.
    Last edited by Morituri; 09-17-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Check what hit you before the warrior started his attack. It was one of these.

Judgement
    Concussion
    Riftstorm
    Airburst
    Ragestorm
    Cracking Skulls

are you below level 50

if so, people above your level can see you from further out
    This is why we can't have nice things.

if you had only just recently stealthed, he might have seen you before you went invisible and made an educated guess* as to where you would be in the time taken for him to reach you. once in the general area he'd use an aoe to pop you out. or if he happened to pass right next to you, he'd possibly see you for direct targeting.

of course, all speculation could be a waste of time if it turns out you are stealthing with a pet out

*educated guess: the warrior has a rogue alt and knows how the class is played.

Soulwalker

Thanks for all the input guys.

While traveling in lower level area's that had monsters that stealthed, I noticed I could see them from a very good distance away since they were lower level than I. I'll just have to be careful from here on out.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by WizardRiley View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys.

While traveling in lower level area's that had monsters that stealthed, I noticed I could see them from a very good distance away since they were lower level than I. I'll just have to be careful from here on out.
    Yup. If you're at the bottom of a level bracket, people can see you without much difficulty. Try to keep an eye on your surroundings and use Elusiveness if you see anyone getting close to give you a little extra margin of safety. Generally speaking, however, you'll want to swing wide of anyone you don't want to fight and be decisive when you close the gap on someone to attack them. Stealth can be difficult to manage when the level gap tips things in your opponent's favor, but it gets better as you level up.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    Yup. If you're at the bottom of a level bracket, people can see you without much difficulty. Try to keep an eye on your surroundings and use Elusiveness if you see anyone getting close to give you a little extra margin of safety. Generally speaking, however, you'll want to swing wide of anyone you don't want to fight and be decisive when you close the gap on someone to attack them. Stealth can be difficult to manage when the level gap tips things in your opponent's favor, but it gets better as you level up.
    Well right now I'm level 37, half way to 38. I must say things certainly have been getting easier.

Ascendant

Well right now I'm level 37, half way to 38. I must say things certainly have been getting easier.
    At 39 you should have no difficulty at all.

At 40, you'll be back to having people see you from a fair distance.

So I'm an assassin, as one can imagine due to the title. I'll be in stealth and walking through the battlefield, just spawned in, not near ANYONE, and then suddenly people just run right up to me and kill me, while I'm in stealth.

I'm a little confused as to why this is happening. What skills reveal invisible units more than 50 meters away?
    Thar be potions you can get at level 50 which allow you to track people on your minimap, High level rangers also get track humanoid. They see you on the map and come roll you.
    Last edited by Jorath; 09-19-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Closed Thread