+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Do you object to the wardrobe?

Default Do you object to the wardrobe?

1.5's patch notes include "wardrobe displays only for members of your faction".

Presumably, this is a change made on behalf of PvP players, but... I've not yet actually seen a PvP player complain about the wardrobe system, since apparently you use the colors of bars to decide what you're fighting. I've seen several PvP players angrily declare that they are sick of being blamed for wardrobe nerfs.

So:

Do any of you fine PvP folks actually want this change? Did someone ask for it?
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

It's a silly change.

If they want to add the option to view opposing players' equipped gear instead of their wardrobe gear, fine. But changing it for everyone hardly seems necessary.
    Last edited by Corian; 09-15-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Plane Touched

Blatantly un-called for.

I actually recognize MANY pvpers on the servers I've been on just by their outfits. I've always been one of those people to them, as well. This is fun. Story time!

I actually stopped and stood in stillmoor once, talking to a defiant rogue who said "WAIT WAIT ZARR!~! before you kill me, tell me what that awesome wardrobe is!!!"
    We actually had a blast for a few minutes, talking about wardrobes, then duelling and having fun theorycrafting specs. This is how you have fun in an MMO.

Changing the wardrobe feature changes this kind of thing. So, I pass along the OP's question - Who of you "whiny pvpers" are responsible for this? Apparently everyone says pvpers asked for it, but I have yet to see one person at all, let alone a pvper, ask for it.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Zarak View Post
    Blatantly un-called for.

I actually recognize MANY pvpers on the servers I've been on just by their outfits. I've always been one of those people to them, as well. This is fun. Story time!

I actually stopped and stood in stillmoor once, talking to a defiant rogue who said "WAIT WAIT ZARR!~! before you kill me, tell me what that awesome wardrobe is!!!"
    We actually had a blast for a few minutes, talking about wardrobes, then duelling and having fun theorycrafting specs. This is how you have fun in an MMO.

Changing the wardrobe feature changes this kind of thing. So, I pass along the OP's question - Who of you "whiny pvpers" are responsible for this? Apparently everyone says pvpers asked for it, but I have yet to see one person at all, let alone a pvper, ask for it.
    Some bad rogue got killed by a seemingly under geared mage. I bet that mage had a blood thirsty proc too!

Given that there are more important issues at hand I am shocked that Trion is wasting any time on this nonsense.
    formerly - Acedia/Poeia/lol/level

liil

I don't know who had the idea for the initial change, but I like this idea:

http://forums.riftgame.com/public-te...-wardrobe.html

With the above idea, there would be no need for disagreement about whether appearance is even an issue. Those who wanted to see wardrobe would and those who wanted to see actual gear would. Just make seeing wardrobe the default.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarak View Post
    Blatantly un-called for.

That sounds awesome.

It's stories like this that make me want to spend the time debugging my crazy brain so I can PvP.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

So I guess my second set of R1 gear/greens is useless now.

-Liang

I'm an R8 PvPer, and I want full wardrobe + weapon slots!

For everyone!

Where did this "PvPers don't want wardrobes" come from?
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

Plane Touched

This change would be like the Greeks telling the Trojans they hid men inside the horse before they gave it to them. Stupid. Last thing I want an enemy player to know is what kind of gear I am wearing. Let them figure it out. And can you imagine the lower-level brackets? People wear wardrobes for a reason. Some of the armor is butt-ugly. I certainly don't want to see it.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post

Presumably, this is a change made on behalf of PvP players, but... I've not yet actually seen a PvP player complain about the wardrobe system, since apparently you use the colors of bars to decide what you're fighting. I've seen several PvP players angrily declare that they are sick of being blamed for wardrobe nerfs.

So:

As a pvp player, no I have no objection with wardrobe. I'm a strong supporter of wardrobe features to increase player character diversity.

In fact, I think this is ridiculous hand-holding and want nothing to do with the change.

And I've never spoken with another pvp player that has cared at all about wardrobe. Pvpers are not the ones lobbying for this, it's terrible pvers that pvp part-time and need as many crutches as possible.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post

So:

I've been asking for a client-side option to disable wardrobe processing for quite some time. Visual identification of threat level is a critical component of high-level play -- an R2 cleric is not the same target as an R8 cleric, not by a long shot.

That said, this isn't the right way to go about it. Trion, in their usual tone-deafness and feature-laziness, just does a flat "Nobody on the other faction can see your wardrobe ever" rather than implementing the proper client-side option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I can't believe they are even spending time on adjusting something like this when
    A) No one asked for it
    B) There are so many other things more deserving of even an extra hour's worth of time than something like this.

For me personally, from an aesthetic standpoint, I think their wardrobe design in the game is very poor. Dull colors and textures, and no diversity. The wardrobe was the only chance we had to make that aspect of the game a bit more interesting. And to think that now my opponent won't see my carefully crafted look, and instead will see Trion's default fashion nightmare of mismatched shapes and colors- I'm appalled. I know it sounds silly but I'm not being facetious, I'm really bugeyed over this. It's not enough I have to die, but now I have to look bad doing it?
    Ashrai@Deepwood
    Sporeslinger of <Godlike Awesomeness>

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Liang Nuren View Post
    So I guess my second set of R1 gear/greens is useless now.

-Liang
    Heh, using the P1/P2 gear in wardrobe as a P8 is pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    That said, this isn't the right way to go about it. Trion, in their usual tone-deafness and feature-laziness, just does a flat "Nobody on the other faction can see your wardrobe ever" rather than implementing the proper client-side option.
    Exactly. That's what bugs me. So many other games have the option of displaying different models- usually to help on processing overhead. Why not leave it up to the player themselves? What disturbs me about this, is that it's indicative of so many other changes they've made- lets paint a broad stroke to save on programming and actual weighing of pros and cons.

So now we have the "you can't wear something in a wardrobe slot that's not your wearable armor type"
    And now the other faction can't see your look.

Why bother to have the function at all?

Or better yet, spend some time on actually making great armor graphics and alleviate the desire for so many players to create their own look.
    Ashrai@Deepwood
    Sporeslinger of <Godlike Awesomeness>

Plane Walker

Stupid change. If devs want to give low ranks warning that they are facing high rank opponent, give option to 'display enemy pvp title'. That would end that lame hiding some r8s do by flying corporal title.
    I was born amidst the purple waterfalls.
    I was weak, yet not unblessed.
    Dead to the world. Alive for the journey. -Nightwish, Bless the Child

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast