+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How do people feel about CC in it's current condition?

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    No doubt, that would be a main thing to address... but it would be a major change - addressing the actual amount of CC in the game (there is what, two to three times as much as WoW for example?)...

...it would require redoing the majority of the Souls.

Not sure it is something Trion is capable of fixing at this point. Course, they've revisited several Souls with redesigns... so perhaps if it were something they could admit, then they could fix it - or turn it over to a higher power, lol, and let a consultant fix it for them.
    Perhaps they should do a major update with a theme on fixing CC in the PvP game. Maybe when they release the PvP zone?

I know their next PvP thing is to look into healing after the Rogue buffs, but would be nice to have another look at it.
    Last edited by Quasari Nova; 09-13-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlebox View Post
    8 second fears and silences are way too long.
    I have to agree with this. I think cutting the fears down to 4 sec would go a long way in making CC better.

Not sure about the silences as with some points in the pvp soul and a rune the silences are only lasting for a couple of seconds on the class you most need it to be somewhat effective on.

hmm how do I feel about CC hmm well:

CC is to accessible to an over abundance of classes that it becomes pointless in warfronts as everyone becomes immune so fast..

Basically If you want to be able to be best CC then you should lose out on Healing and/or Dps, if you want to be best healing you lose out on Dps and/or CC, if you want to be best dps you lose out on CC and/or Heals.

at the end of the day to many classes can spec to abilities that allow them to not rely on teamplay at all to make them effective.

CC needs to be less accessible to classes meaning if you want to bring it to the fields of battle if you want mass aoe control you need to specialize for it and for that to work you need to remove the lesser effects like fear from warriors/clerics, roots snares from whole host of classes or at the very least have them high up soul trees that they have to sacrifce something to gain those abilities.

Will anything like this happen? doubtful as it would mean looking at all souls and reworking their skill trees and that I believe is not going to happen at this late stage

So face facts CC will remain for novelty value but he who brings most healing and high DPS wins tactical play is not an option
    Sureen - Conspiracy

A post spoken from the Heart contains passion, A post spoken from the head leads to intelligent debate,
    but since the majority of what I read is full of crap I guess most talk out of thier Arse

Qia

DRs are fine as they are.
    Does anyone remember how it was before? Do you?
    Sheep+Sheeš+Stun+Stun+Disarm+Sheep (cycle repeats because it lasted long enough).
    Warlocks spamming fear on everyone. Seriously, please...
    It was mage domination 24/7.

Just because mage has 50 different CC effects doesn't mean we should make them all on different DR.
    Ip

Quote Originally Posted by Qia View Post
    It was Warrior/Rogue domination 24/7.
    Yep, Pre 1.2 was annoying as Hell...
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Here's how I feel.

Too many souls have it, and it's on too short a cooldown. I don't mind being silenced, feared, or stunned in those key moments where it's a good tactical choice, but when the **** is just spammed everywhere by everyone it's silly.

Ranged classes should not get a stun.
    Melee classes should not get a silence.

Banned

Well ranger and MM don't have a ranged stun. Saboteur does, and he has so little defense and cc i think thats justified. Its about all he's got.

mages - well warlock can get a stun. Does anyone else have one?

but to the origianl question. its mostly OK - warriros get far too much effective cc and need toning down but other than that its OK.
    Last edited by Auchter; 09-13-2011 at 04:05 AM.

Telaran

There is no CC

I agree, with the disgusting amount of CC available to everyone and their mum they should put them on separate DRs.

As a healing cleric who doesn't find it all that effective to spec deep into justicar/dps souls for cc and a bit of self survivability the only gap maker I can have is Crushing Wave, a knock back, which miserably fails times beyond counting thanks to the DR. Even if on rare occasions it does work, if you're fighting a riftblade he can just teleport right back onto your a*s to continue to own you, and now you're left with the non cleansable snare on you and with CW on CD. Oh wait, you're being silenced anyway. *respawn*

I've quit out of boredom anyway, but I would have loved it to be at least more than just a waste of a GCD.

Qia

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    Yep, Pre 1.2 was annoying as Hell...
    Why are you trolling me? Seriously?
    Pre 1.2?

Every knows that mages dominated in 1.1 due to Sheep granting insane damage on next attack, fulminate hits. Rogues were pretty much useless because they got nerfed in 1.1.
    They got an insane buff to all specs in 1.2 so your post makes no sense. You say rogues dominated when they were the weakest and stopped dominating in 1.2. In 1.2 (between red ball nerf and 1.3) Rogues were the most balanced (marksmans even a little op) in pvp.
    so seriously, wtF?
    Ip

Ascendant

CC DRs are more or less fine the way they are, perhaps with some slight tweaks needed. They force you to apply CC tactically instead of spamming it -- Rift is spammy enough as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    How people feel about the DR system in Rift depends largely on which side of the orgy of snares they were on before the changes.

Before the DR changes, it was entirely common for me to get caught in a hail of Stormcaller AoE, pop Break Free to barely escape with my life, and then have another hail of AoE dropped on me with no way to get out of it. It was entirely common to get charge stunned, feared and then stunned with Titan's Strike by those crazy champions that were all the rage (pun partially intended) back in the day. Pyros with secondary stun effects on common abilities (while being immune to all forms of CC themselves).

In short, it was a frustrating situation that heavily favored ranged builds (and mages in particular only because the common builds had so much 'passive' CC in addition to their damage effects).

The new DR system isn't perfect, but I'd rather see it as it is than see it adjusted back on the wrong side of the balance scale. If the devs can work it so that they can adjust CC without making the process of locking down melee the overly simple task it used to be, I'd be willing to approach it with an open mind.

At present, before any changes to the DR system were made, I'd like to see a lot of the remaining passive CC pulled from abilities. You want to stun someone? Make that choice explicitly and do it. Snare? Same thing. Root? Same thing. Make it so that DR immunity isn't triggered "accidentally" like it is right now so that it's more viable when you need to use it and it might solve a lot of problems. And do it so that the CC component is only absent in PvP so that folks in PvE don't have their playstyle suddenly changed because of the PvP side of things.

That would be my personal preference...put it in the hands of the players in a way that rewards coordination and teamwork. Right now it punishes a lack of coordination, which is not the same thing as rewarding team play.

I'm on this side of the argument too. Since DR is so aggressive in this game, the first thing they need to do is remove all the passive CC from abilities that do something else. Even though it would appear as though players would be losing an ability, they would almost certainly end up more powerful for it as it would reduce the number of times incidental CC made their targets immune.

I really do think more effective CC would make the game a lot more interesting, but I'm scared to death given the prior track record with balancing PVP in this game that any changes will make the resultant system even less playable than the current one is.

General of Telara

CC is great, i get stunned, pop break free, then oh look stunned/silenced/feared etc straight after.

Iol it is kinda silly the way it is, i thought they were going to make it so you couldnt be chain cc'ed. Or am i still running a different patch to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    I can't say I agree with you there. The devs have said time and again that PvP is not and will not be tuned around 1v1 yet the example you reference is your inability to kill a healer because you frontloaded the CC and couldn't get the job done because the DR system prevented you from locking them down.

There's a fine line between CC as a strategic component of PvP and CC as a crutch. When game mechanics allow you to lock someone down and kill them, CC is a crutch. It's also infuriating when you're on the receiving end of it. When CC allows you to tip the scale, it's strategic. Right now we have CC as a strategic element that is being foiled in many cases by people spamming it indiscriminately and then getting pissed when they see Immune, or triggering CC immunity so the next guy who tries to use CC strategically gets the Immune.
    You have a good point, I didn't see it that way.

Sarathor@Byriel Rank 7 Defiant Mage - retired
    Bonqueequee@Byriel Rank 1 Guardian Rogue

Ascendant

It is my opinion that you lose control of your character FAR TOO OFTEN.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast