+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The best thing Mythic did, that I think Trion could capitalize on.

Default The best thing Mythic did, that I think Trion could capitalize on.

The Epic Quest-line and Gear Set attached to it. Every 5 levels you had a personalized tailor-made quest for your role, granting you a substantial reward until you reached the end and completed your set of Epic Gear. These sets of gear Looked good, so players Wanted to wear them. The sets were decently powerful, and eventually were upgraded appropriately. Most importantly the Quest-line was fun, so players Wanted to complete it. The Epic Gear set put average players on level ground with the average PvPer for a time and the system was perfect. All they had to do was tweak the gear's stats, and keep the models the same because they looked great. Then all Mythic had to worry about was raid loot which could look like anything else really.

Make RIFT's version of the Epic Gear set require both PvE and PvP quests to complete. Alternate back and forth between the two each level, and make them challenging enough a skilled player can solo all but the last few. Make the set pieces for lvl 50. This will encourage players to reach end game, and players will not mind the "burden" of getting a snazzy purple every 5 levels even if they have to be patient to wear them. Why PvE and PvP quests? Because the Epic Gear set from the Epic Quest-line should come with Valor, Vengeance, and Hit/Focus on it. The Epic Gear should gain the Favor and Prestige you normally earn as a player, and level up instead of the player ranking up.

I'll repeat that again for clarity. The "GEAR" should do the ranking up, not the "PLAYER".

Now.... What does the player earn for pvping besides their cool looking set of armor becoming more powerful? Elite points. Yeah yeah I know another currency but hear me out. All the old pvp gear is junk when this change happens anyways. Allow the player to convert their old gear into Elite points, and Elite points become the new player reward for PvP. Now take really sweet pvp themed player TITLES such as "Butcher of Whitefall" and put them on an NPC vendor who sells them for Elite points at obnoxiously high prices, but it's for permanent titles so they should be a nice high currency sink to reach.

Ok so to recap:
    • Epic Quest-line you complete every 5 levels for pieces to your Epic Gear set.
    • Quests involve pvp and pve, alternating each level between the two.
    • You get your Epic Gear set at 50, and it gains the Favor/Prestige the player normally would.
    • The gear works in pvp, pve, and ranks up instead of the player, and the player plays to earn sweet pvp titles.
    • The new purpose of Raiding is not for gear, but instead for hot fluff items like crazy huge mounts, rp clothing, companion pets.
    Last edited by Trisian; 08-31-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Plane Touched

Impossible! When I was doing my paladin epic, 50+ people came to Lyonesse church to help (and that meant 1-2 hours spent for some and even experience loss for some too). No way to get community help you like that these days
    Septica 86 Sorc, Nikola 95 DOK, Karak Norn
    http://gimpchimp.etilader.com/display.php?user=segro

Telaran

Default Titles

While cool titles are sought after by some, gaining thousands of whatever points to just buy a title, doesn't really drive a lot of pvpers.

Most want something vanity related - to where you SEE the person is high rank, based on something other people don't have. Wardrobe sort of defeats that, but if you make skins available to higher ranks, that might be something.

Titles aren't bad - but I don't think enough. In Camelot, things like Dragon Knight, Emerald Rider, and Einherjar were awesome - but also awesome were the RAs that came with it - that gave the person a reward for the rank, too.

If ranking up high only gives you a few new armor skins, and a title or two - I don't think that will cut it for a lot of people.
    Last edited by Malg; 08-31-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Rift Disciple

I like your idea with the exception of one point, you should not force people to either pvp or pve. Some people love one or the other, not fair to them to force them to do one they do not like.

Quote Originally Posted by Trisian View Post
    You get your Epic Gear set at 50, and it gains the Favor/Prestige the player normally would.
    The gear works in pvp, pve, and ranks up instead of the player, and the player plays to earn sweet pvp titles.
    Bear with me a moment here, but think about this for a moment.

Current System:

Player ranks up and gets better gear as they do so.

Proposed System:

Player will still be ranking up, but no longer has to get better gear - the gear gets better.

You cannot really say that the Player is not ranking up. The gear cannot rank up. The gear will get better without new gear having to be purchased, but in order for it to rank up - the player would still have to rank up.

So in the end, this changes nothing.

As for having to do PvP and PvE - having to do quests at all, etc... well, you'd potentially lose a lot of players with that.

As for the gear working in both PvP and PvE, would it be a case that the gear had different stats depending on what you were doing? If not, then you'd end up with the problem of lacking things such as Valor and having too much Hit/Focus.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Think about it. Having 1 set of nice looking gear you can dye that ranks up instead of you so you never have to worry about it is IDEAL. Then Trion could use Weapons/jewelry to balance pvp and raiding fairly easily. As for people getting tired of a same look, Trion could open a cash shop selling different looks for your set of armor, and have special holiday themes too. Cheap 1 time use items that change the appearance of a single piece, or packages to do your entire set. All that manpower could be shifted away from art and modeling armor, to raiding rewards and new content.

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    Bear with me a moment here, but think about this for a moment.

Current System:

Player ranks up and gets better gear as they do so.

Proposed System:

Player will still be ranking up, but no longer has to get better gear - the gear gets better.

You cannot really say that the Player is not ranking up. The gear cannot rank up. The gear will get better without new gear having to be purchased, but in order for it to rank up - the player would still have to rank up.
    Please read what you misquoted again. I said the gear ranks up "INSTEAD" of the player. You're misinformed as to the basis of your argument as usual.
    Last edited by Trisian; 08-31-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Please read what you misquoted again. I said the gear ranks up "INSTEAD" of the player. You're misinformed as to the basis of your argument as usual.
    Can you elaborate on the difference? The nuance is lost on me.

In the current system, if the player ranks up, they currently "trade up" for higher ranking gear through the vendor. In the original post, it seems like the old gear doesn't "rank up", but becomes junk and can get traded for elite points. I'm a pretty bright guy, but I think I need a little more clarification here on the differences between the gear ranking up vs the player ranking up.
    Last edited by overbyte; 08-31-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Prophet of Telara

This idea is in the league of the Jump to Conclusions Mat.

No, did not misquote you in the least. I pointed out the meaninglessness of what you stated.

The gear ranks up how? The player does something, right? Cause the gear is not just sitting there and ranking up, right? The player does something. When the player does enough of something, the gear ranks up...right? But again...because, you know - the player did something. So the player still is the driving action behind the gear ranking up...the player is ranking up the gear. The gear is not ranking itself up.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

I thought ToA was the main reason DAOC lost subs like a bucket without a bottom on it.
    Even free cost too much now

Champion

The Epic Quest-line and Gear Set attached to it. Every 5 levels you had a personalized tailor-made quest for your role, granting you a substantial reward until you reached the end and completed your set of Epic Gear. These sets of gear Looked good, so players Wanted to wear them. The sets were decently powerful, and eventually were upgraded appropriately. Most importantly the Quest-line was fun, so players Wanted to complete it. The Epic Gear set put average players on level ground with the average PvPer for a time and the system was perfect. All they had to do was tweak the gear's stats, and keep the models the same because they looked great. Then all Mythic had to worry about was raid loot which could look like anything else really.

Make RIFT's version of the Epic Gear set require both PvE and PvP quests to complete. Alternate back and forth between the two each level, and make them challenging enough a skilled player can solo all but the last few. Make the set pieces for lvl 50. This will encourage players to reach end game, and players will not mind the "burden" of getting a snazzy purple every 5 levels even if they have to be patient to wear them. Why PvE and PvP quests? Because the Epic Gear set from the Epic Quest-line should come with Valor, Vengeance, and Hit/Focus on it. The Epic Gear should gain the Favor and Prestige you normally earn as a player, and level up instead of the player ranking up.

I'll repeat that again for clarity. The "GEAR" should do the ranking up, not the "PLAYER".

Now.... What does the player earn for pvping besides their cool looking set of armor becoming more powerful? Elite points. Yeah yeah I know another currency but hear me out. All the old pvp gear is junk when this change happens anyways. Allow the player to convert their old gear into Elite points, and Elite points become the new player reward for PvP. Now take really sweet pvp themed player TITLES such as "Butcher of Whitefall" and put them on an NPC vendor who sells them for Elite points at obnoxiously high prices, but it's for permanent titles so they should be a nice high currency sink to reach.

Ok so to recap:
    • You get your Epic Gear set at 50, and it gains the Favor/Prestige the player normally would.
    • The gear works in pvp, pve, and ranks up instead of the player, and the player plays to earn sweet pvp titles.
    • The new purpose of Raiding is not for gear, but instead for hot fluff items like crazy huge mounts, rp clothing, companion pets.
    OMG any set other than the 1 Trion decided to hand out!??! actual gear customization in PvP!?!? such blasphemy you might as well burn a flag with Rift's logo on it
    Last edited by garethh; 08-31-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Rift Disciple

Ok so to recap:
    Elite Points for The Elite players who are very Elite

Trion, please do whatever points, but not Elite points. Elite points sound like something 13 years old made that name out

+ Reply to Thread