+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open World PVP Objectives Could Keep PVP Base

Soulwalker

Default Open World PVP Objectives Could Keep PVP Base

I like to pvp and do not enjoy raiding unless I need the gear to PVP. What I enjoy is structured organized PVP with a large goal or purpose. The goal or purpose is what drives the organization instead of just random skirmishing. The idea is to have everyone involved contributing no matter how small a role. Its also nice to need planning to complete objective. Here are some thoughts on ways to add structured pvp to Rift. These concepts are nothing new but our missing from rift

1. Guild instances where guilds fight guilds for status/rewards

2. Add open world objectives to be taken by each side when held the side gains bonuses/rewards

3. Sieging Open world structures to be taken at a specific time so anyone who wants to participate would be notified in advance.

4. Strategic points on the map to gain bonuses when held

4. Combinations of these events could lead one side to progress slowly toward a world domination goal whem reached the receive special rewards and the process is restarted

I am just throwing ideas out there to get the conversation started. I think the game itself is good but lets add some purpose other than getting better gear and killing people randomly.

Prophet of Telara

Any ideas need to involve multiple objectives to limit zergs. This game just really cant handle zerg v zerg fighting so any open world ideas need to include things to discourage zerg ball fighting.

Soulwalker

Then make it instanced or spread out objectives. I am sure a system can be devised to bring some fun to pvp and not crash the game.

Ascendant

The game can handle zergs. That doesn't mean it should enforce them though. Multiple objectives is good because it does allow you to spread out. They need to find a way to fix the gear disparity issue first though.
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

The side with the most r8s would automatically win. The server might as well just give them the keep if the gap is too big because there would be no competition. The gear issue needs to be addressed first.
    Last edited by AngelOfTheGuardians; 08-27-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Don't get stuck in the hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    The game can handle zergs. That doesn't mean it should enforce them though. Multiple objectives is good because it does allow you to spread out. They need to find a way to fix the gear disparity issue first though.
    This game really can't handle zergs ;/

Guardians on whitefall took 4/5 raid groups into Meridian last night and both sides had the same issue of hardly any enemy players rendering on their screens along with a couple of mass d/c's >.<
    Freyn likes boys in hotpants.

Rapsodia - p6 Stromcooler. I'm in ur warfrunts, hittin u for faive thousandz

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AintEvenMadBro View Post
    This game really can't handle zergs ;/

Guardians on whitefall took 4/5 raid groups into Meridian last night and both sides had the same issue of hardly any enemy players rendering on their screens along with a couple of mass d/c's >.<
    4 or 5 raid groups? No. DAOC couldn't either. Relic raids were usually pretty laggy affairs. But thats not gonna happen all that often. If you split objectives then it would force people to roll in groups of 2 or 3 at most (IE 10-15 people). However this game can easily handle about 100 people at once. Thats a pretty sizable zerg. 50vs50 is a zerg battle.
    Last edited by Khelendross; 08-27-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    4 or 5 raid groups? No. DAOC couldn't either. Relic raids were usually pretty laggy affairs. But thats not gonna happen all that often. If you split objectives then it would force people to roll in groups of 2 or 3 at most (IE 10-15 people). However this game can easily handle about 100 people at once. Thats a pretty sizable zerg. 50vs50 is a zerg battle.
    It cant easily handle a 50 vs 50. You have obviously not attempted to play in one of these fights. It doesn't matter if you have your graphics up all the way or turned down completely you still get the same issue of people appearing at different times while in your close proximity.

The game engine is flawed when there are massive numbers of players fighting. Laggy can be playable, but when the characters are not accurately displayed it is unplayable.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    It cant easily handle a 50 vs 50. You have obviously not attempted to play in one of these fights. It doesn't matter if you have your graphics up all the way or turned down completely you still get the same issue of people appearing at different times while in your close proximity.

The game engine is flawed when there are massive numbers of players fighting. Laggy can be playable, but when the characters are not accurately displayed it is unplayable.
    ---^ I completely agree. Just even going around Sanctum, I have to re-install my video drivers with "clean" option every 4 days otherwise it will take 30-45 seconds for NPCs and players to all show up (and even the buildings/terrain). After the re-install, it goes back down to 1-5 seconds. Big raid boss fights, even having a $200+ video card it will drop to 5 fps and people will be slow appear/disappear. It has gotten a little better with a couple of the updates, its unfortunate that they help limit or even resolve some issues and create tons of new ones.

Ascendant

No actually I did. River of souls there was may more than 100 people on screen DISPLAYED at once. I'm not sure what the render cap is but thats not a engine limitation per say, it was hardcoded because on the test server when they tested ROS it was crashing non stop because it was trying to show everyone and there were like 400 people in one place. I'm not sure what the number is that they can comfortably handle but its higher than 100. The one exception may be if its in a major city which already has much lower framerates, it might be really horrible with to many people, thus leading the incident mentioned above. Obviously they can handle at least 40vs40 since they are making a 40vs40 warfront...

unfortunately this is why i think they will not be adding rvr, or even the 40v40 warfront they slated for release. the engine cant handle it very well, the really need to start working on optimization or would it be too late now
    So long rift, may your potential someday be realised

Soulwalker

Ok now back to the point.

How to fix PVP not start a technical debate over what the game can handle.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by j3w3l View Post
    unfortunately this is why i think they will not be adding rvr, or even the 40v40 warfront they slated for release. the engine cant handle it very well, the really need to start working on optimization or would it be too late now
    Well the "problems" aren't actually problems, it was a quick fix limiter put in to keep servers from crashing during world events. As I said the engine can actually render alot of people just fine, they just hardcoded it so that if x number of people are on screen on x number can be shown at once in order to keep it from crashing. All they need to do is remove that limiter and tweak some of the optimization. It may not be something they can easily do though and that may be something we see for an expansion. We will see. The 40vs40 warfront is still slated for release and to date Trion hasn't even said they were going to do something and NOT done it.

+ Reply to Thread