+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Eliminate ranks 1-7

  1. #31
    Shield of Telara Elerina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    All PvP gear in this game is a "free ride or a handout". You do not have to demonstrate any skill at this game to get it, all you have to do is log hours. You didn't "earn" anything, you got shinies for bothering to participate.

    Until you are R4, you contribute nothing to your team and you learn nothing about the game, because it is literally impossible for you to kill anything R6 and above, and you don't live long enough to figure out what works and what doesn't. Even at R4, your usefulness is marginal, and only in proportion to how many low-rank players the other team has. I can kill R3 and below players inside of a Paralyzing Strike, giving them ZERO ability to play their toons at all -- they go to the graveyard having had absolutely no opportunity to learn how to play. R4 players require a Foul Play on the end, but they still get stunlocked. I suspect, once I pick up R8 weapons, that R4s will be dying inside the Paralyzing Strike as well.

    PvP in this game doesn't really start until you hit R6 because of the ludicrous gear disparities, and the players who have R6+ didn't have to be any good at the game to get it, they just started playing earlier.
    If it's that easy to get there, then why do I keep reading complaints?

    Go ahead and do the easy thing yourself. Fixed!
    Last edited by Elerina; 08-26-2011 at 07:05 PM.

  2. #32
    Ascendant VirusDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elerina View Post
    If it's that easy to get there, then why do I keep reading complaints?

    Go ahead and do the easy thing yourself. Fixed!
    Again, just because it is "easy" - does not mean that it is an enjoyable nor quick trip.

    A person can literally chase butterflies to reach R8.

    Sure, there are going to be people that give it their all to get there. But outside of themselves and perhaps those that may have fought with them, nobody will know...

    ...because a person can literally chase butterflies to reach R8.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

  3. #33
    Plane Touched NzFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elerina View Post
    If it's that easy to get there, then why do I keep reading complaints?

    Go ahead and do the easy thing yourself. Fixed!
    you are also missing the fact that once there, it STILL isnt fun, as hitting one button and owning everything around you will get old fast. maybe its just me who thinks that, but 10-49 was fun as even if a 39 was stronger, the 30 always stood a chance

  4. #34
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elerina View Post
    If it's that easy to get there, then why do I keep reading complaints?

    Go ahead and do the easy thing yourself. Fixed!
    Mowing lawns is easy... mowing a 23523617 acre large lawn is still as mechanically easy, but it's still a pain in the ***, and an enormous grind. In real life, hell yes it's honest job. In a game we pay for to have fun, it should never exist.
    Last edited by croon; 08-27-2011 at 07:31 AM.

  5. #35
    Shield of Telara Elerina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NzFox View Post
    you are also missing the fact that once there, it STILL isnt fun, as hitting one button and owning everything around you will get old fast. maybe its just me who thinks that, but 10-49 was fun as even if a 39 was stronger, the 30 always stood a chance
    No I'm not missing that, because I am "there". And just as I was with p6, I'm bored now.

    Also, I'm not saying you have to be special to get high rank. But still I read lots of complains about high rank players and additionally the way to get there is mocked because of it's easiness. And to me, that doesn't make sense, sorry. Is it easy or not? Pick one, can't have both.

    €:

    Quote Originally Posted by croon View Post
    Mowing lawns is easy... mowing a 23523617 acre large lawn is still as mechanically easy, but it's still a pain in the ***, and an enormous grind. In real life, hell yes it's honest job. In a game we pay for to have fun, it should never exist.
    If it's beneath you to do it, that's your problem. I don't care what you call it, it is what it is. Do it or don't.
    Last edited by Elerina; 08-27-2011 at 07:35 AM.

  6. #36
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elerina View Post
    No I'm not missing that, because I am "there". And just as I was with p6, I'm bored now.

    Also, I'm not saying you have to be special to get high rank. But still I read lots of complains about high rank players and additionally the way to get there is mocked because of it's easiness. And to me, that doesn't make sense, sorry. Is it easy or not? Pick one, can't have both.

    €:



    If it's beneath you to do it, that's your problem. I don't care what you call it, it is what it is. Do it or don't.
    It's easy, you just have to not have a job, or social duties.
    Last edited by croon; 08-27-2011 at 07:37 AM.

  7. #37
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elerina View Post
    If it's beneath you to do it, that's your problem. I don't care what you call it, it is what it is. Do it or don't.
    Maybe you should read more than a few words in.

  8. #38
    Shield of Telara Elerina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    Again, just because it is "easy" - does not mean that it is an enjoyable nor quick trip.

    A person can literally chase butterflies to reach R8.

    Sure, there are going to be people that give it their all to get there. But outside of themselves and perhaps those that may have fought with them, nobody will know...

    ...because a person can literally chase butterflies to reach R8.
    For whatever reason you decide not to do it, is just that. Your decision. You don't have to do it. But you shouldn't say it doesn't take anything to do it, while it obviously takes too much for you to do it.

    That doesn't make sense, sorry.

    Look, I'd love to have those red robes for my mage gurl. Looks damn hawt. But to get it, I need freaking 100 Raid tokens. Not going to happen. It is not hard to get a raiding guild and farm those tokens, but still I refuse to do so. And I don't complain about other mages looking hawt wearing that robe, while I don't.
    Last edited by Elerina; 08-27-2011 at 07:40 AM.

  9. #39
    Shield of Telara Elerina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by croon View Post
    It's easy, you just have to not have a job, or social duties.
    I'll just ignore the intended insult.

    I'm not attacking you or anything. I just ask that you accept things for what they are.

    If you have lots of stuff going on in your RL with job and family, that is a good thing. But why do you insist on playing a time sink game then? There are a gazillion of other options on the market where you can have fun for whatever time you can spend on it. You can even hit the pause button or just save and turn it off whenever your wife/children/job need your attention.

  10. #40
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    From a Rank 7 perspective, the R1-4 players die way too easy. There is no way that pvp for them could be at all enjoyable. It is a game. It needs to be made fun for them and yet still have something to work towards.

    I greatly liked the idea of raising the Valor on Rank 1-4 gear so it is on par with the R8. Leaving the other stats as is.
    Last edited by solarbear; 08-27-2011 at 07:59 AM.

  11. #41
    Plane Touched Cherrileigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Simple fact is they are going to have to figure something out for PvP to grow. You can't a huge gear gap in PvP.
    EVERYBODY DIES, BUT NOT EVERYBODY LIVES.

  12. #42
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elerina View Post

    I'm not attacking you or anything. I just ask that you accept things for what they are.

    If you have lots of stuff going on in your RL with job and family, that is a good thing. But why do you insist on playing a time sink game then? There are a gazillion of other options on the market where you can have fun for whatever time you can spend on it. You can even hit the pause button or just save and turn it off whenever your wife/children/job need your attention.
    Because there aren't any good MMORPGs that aren't grindy, timesink games out there?

    I'm drawn to MMORPGs because it's the closest thing I can get to a computer supported PnP game. I want an immersive world and a character to play with an interesting role. I like PvP because of the variation human opponents have that AI lacks.

    I'm fairly balanced with my online time. I game for about 15 to 20 hours a week. The equivalent of a part time job. This is a more than reasonable amount to spend on entertainment, or even a serious hobby.

    With Trion's gear grind, I got to r4 in a couple of weeks of doing nothing but queuing warfronts. That's not terrible. I expect, at this rate, that I will be getting to r6 in a couple of more months of doing nothing but queuing warfronts. That, in and of itself, is not terrible either.

    The terrible part is that the system expects you to pretty much stick through several months until you get to the point where you don't feel overly gimped by your gear. Several months, fifteen hours a week, getting slaughtered by players who pretty much spend all of their free time playing the game.

    Nevermind how long it will take to get to r8 for someone like me who plays about the average amount an MMORPG player plays. By the time we get r8, we'll have r9/r10 in place.

    Again, I don't even mind the fact that the progression is so slow. It's that we have to grin and bear getting slaughtered in order to someday get to the point where PvP is actually enjoyable. Why should there be so much in this game that requires you to "just get through it" hoping that it gets fun on the other end?

    I'm all for progression. I enjoy my character slowly getting more powerful.

    Unfortunately, Rift PvP is the equivalent of saying, "Hey, you hit 50, now please go immediately to t3 raids and throw yourselves against mobs for a couple of months. Hey, every once in a while you'll be able to throw a useful CC or healing debuff at a trash mob, but for the most part you know you're going to be carried by the T3 geared players."

    It's kinda silly to say to people who don't treat a game like a full time job to go find a game that doesn't ask people to treat it like a full time job. It's a game.

    As paying customers, we have every right to continue asking that the game be adjusted to make it more fun.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

  13. #43
    Shield of Telara Elerina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    Because there aren't any good MMORPGs that aren't grindy, timesink games out there?

    I'm drawn to MMORPGs because it's the closest thing I can get to a computer supported PnP game. I want an immersive world and a character to play with an interesting role. I like PvP because of the variation human opponents have that AI lacks.

    I'm fairly balanced with my online time. I game for about 15 to 20 hours a week. The equivalent of a part time job. This is a more than reasonable amount to spend on entertainment, or even a serious hobby.

    With Trion's gear grind, I got to r4 in a couple of weeks of doing nothing but queuing warfronts. That's not terrible. I expect, at this rate, that I will be getting to r6 in a couple of more months of doing nothing but queuing warfronts. That, in and of itself, is not terrible either.

    The terrible part is that the system expects you to pretty much stick through several months until you get to the point where you don't feel overly gimped by your gear. Several months, fifteen hours a week, getting slaughtered by players who pretty much spend all of their free time playing the game.

    Nevermind how long it will take to get to r8 for someone like me who plays about the average amount an MMORPG player plays. By the time we get r8, we'll have r9/r10 in place.

    Again, I don't even mind the fact that the progression is so slow. It's that we have to grin and bear getting slaughtered in order to someday get to the point where PvP is actually enjoyable. Why should there be so much in this game that requires you to "just get through it" hoping that it gets fun on the other end?

    I'm all for progression. I enjoy my character slowly getting more powerful.

    Unfortunately, Rift PvP is the equivalent of saying, "Hey, you hit 50, now please go immediately to t3 raids and throw yourselves against mobs for a couple of months. Hey, every once in a while you'll be able to throw a useful CC or healing debuff at a trash mob, but for the most part you know you're going to be carried by the T3 geared players."

    It's kinda silly to say to people who don't treat a game like a full time job to go find a game that doesn't ask people to treat it like a full time job. It's a game.

    As paying customers, we have every right to continue asking that the game be adjusted to make it more fun.
    Everything you just wrote I agree with. Still, we all know that's how it is and yet some people keep complaining. Why can't you just accept it for what it is and draw your conclusions?

    Maybe you're trying to make Rift a better "place". That would be an honorable quest. But I doubt that will happen. If you accept to do the grind, you're playing (and thereby you are subscribed) for quite the time. What more could a company want?
    Last edited by Elerina; 08-27-2011 at 09:33 AM.

  14. #44
    Plane Touched NzFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elerina View Post
    Everything you just wrote I agree with. Still, we all know that's how it is and yet some people keep complaining. Why can't you just accept it for what it is and draw your conclusions?

    Maybe you're trying to make Rift a better "place". That would be an honorable quest. But I doubt that will happen. If you accept to do the grind, you're playing (and thereby you are subscribed) for quite the time. What more could a company want?
    your right, I also think many of the people 'arguing' against you are missing your point, and that is you agree with the issue but venting isnt helping.

    I disagree that posting on the threads isnt helpful, if enough posts are made it might make trion at lest look in that direction, though the nature of posts is the important part, FAR to many boil down to 'waaaa you guys suck' style. This one (even with the OP comment) seams in general to be moron free which is a breath of fresh air :P

    I do think trion knows there is a issue, from the treads maybe a little, but also from the statistics of WF games, where kills are constantly 60-5 to the team with more ranked 8 people

  15. #45
    Shield of Telara Elerina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NzFox View Post
    your right, I also think many of the people 'arguing' against you are missing your point, and that is you agree with the issue but venting isnt helping.

    I disagree that posting on the threads isnt helpful, if enough posts are made it might make trion at lest look in that direction, though the nature of posts is the important part, FAR to many boil down to 'waaaa you guys suck' style. This one (even with the OP comment) seams in general to be moron free which is a breath of fresh air :P

    I do think trion knows there is a issue, from the treads maybe a little, but also from the statistics of WF games, where kills are constantly 60-5 to the team with more ranked 8 people
    Hey cool, you got it bro I was losing hope.

    Anyway, of course giving feedback is a good thing. I just think you have to keep it realistically.

    I'm quite sure gersh and all the other guys being constantly yelled at for ruining games are indeed on your side. They want their product to be cool, exciting and just the most fun at all.

    And then there are their bosses, who want the games to be lucrative and thereby popping our oh so sweet bubbles.
    Last edited by Elerina; 08-27-2011 at 10:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts