+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Eliminate ranks 1-7

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    Play against opposing teams that aren't bad. As soon as your R1 MM or Dominator rolls up to the fight, and a high-rank DPS hears that electric ping of Eradicate or sees himself taking Storm Shackle or Mass Betrayal hits, you're going to get globalled.

This is pretty much how I play the opening skirmish of Escalation mode. There's no stone for me to run yet, so I ride up to the middle, hit Stealth (Sin), and look for support specs under 5K HP. Unless you happen to have a high-rank healer buddy healbotting you and only you, you're done.

That's not a brag, because that's not a feat worth bragging about. It's trivial, and that's my entire point. Against a competent opposing team, anything under R4 is just a Bloodthirsty powerup waiting to be collected.

You know... I had a lengthy and well thought out response written to this. But it really doesn't matter.

Not going to help anyone or change anyone's mind here, so I'll just stop.

Just like in the real world... kids think they know everything, trying to explain something to them is like arguing with a brick wall.
    "If you don't have enough respect for yourself and others to learn how to spell and use proper grammar, you're really not worth paying attention to."

- me

Soulwalker

Without bloodthirsty I bet playing a dps at low ranks would feel like you're just doing the enemy a favor. I personally rolled out to healing since generally I can safely smash buttons and heal a ton before anyone figures out I should die (and now I got enough rank to survive at least some punishment)

Quote Originally Posted by Grisheub View Post
    You know... I had a lengthy and well thought out response written to this. But it really doesn't matter.

Not going to help anyone or change anyone's mind here, so I'll just stop.

Just like in the real world... kids think they know everything, trying to explain something to them is like arguing with a brick wall.
    Which again is kind of funny... considering your limited experience with RIFT PvP - that you would make a statement such as this. So thank you for stopping...it was a delicate balancing act between laughing and /facepalm reading what you post.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Quote Originally Posted by Elmokki View Post
    Without bloodthirsty I bet playing a dps at low ranks would feel like you're just doing the enemy a favor. I personally rolled out to healing since generally I can safely smash buttons and heal a ton before anyone figures out I should die (and now I got enough rank to survive at least some punishment)
    How much actual healing are you doing at low ranks though? You will not have the gear to keep anybody alive against attacks from higher geared players with direct healing. You're definitely SoL if you've got damage conversion healing because you'll also be dealing with Valor.

Buffs, debuffs, purges, etc... low rank players are basically companion pets. Should be able to have a couple of them or more for each high ranked player.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    Against a competent opposing team, anything under R4 is just a Bloodthirsty powerup waiting to be collected.
    Great quote.
    Last edited by Arcshayde; 08-26-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Shayde@Seastone

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    How much actual healing are you doing at low ranks though? You will not have the gear to keep anybody alive against attacks from higher geared players with direct healing. You're definitely SoL if you've got damage conversion healing because you'll also be dealing with Valor.

Buffs, debuffs, purges, etc... low rank players are basically companion pets. Should be able to have a couple of them or more for each high ranked player.
    My usefulness heavily depends on the warfront. Escalation Whitefall and Port Scion have been pretty pleasant and I haven't felt useless, whereas Codex and especially Black Garden make/made (Black Garden still does) me feel completely useless. The reason to this is that in Port Scion and Escalation Whitefall there are huge stacks of people: I often top or be in top 3 of healing done since I can just spam 0.5s cast healing communion to make up for all the cabalists and other aoe damage.

Direct healing is naturally far less useful, but it can at least give more time to the high rank people. Low ranks have so small hp pools that they just pop down before I have time to react. Well, usually anyway.

And yeah, dispelling crap is nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmokki View Post
    My usefulness heavily depends on the warfront. Escalation Whitefall and Port Scion have been pretty pleasant and I haven't felt useless, whereas Codex and especially Black Garden make/made (Black Garden still does) me feel completely useless. The reason to this is that in Port Scion and Escalation Whitefall there are huge stacks of people: I often top or be in top 3 of healing done since I can just spam 0.5s cast healing communion to make up for all the cabalists and other aoe damage.

Direct healing is naturally far less useful, but it can at least give more time to the high rank people. Low ranks have so small hp pools that they just pop down before I have time to react. Well, usually anyway.

And yeah, dispelling crap is nice too.
    Yes, I should have been more specific in regard to what I was saying to account for the usefulness lower ranked players can provide in different Warfronts. Scion was definitely the WF of choice when I started with the Cleric and Rogue. The Warrior, heh - Warlord/Para for buffs needs some work though...lol.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    Which again is kind of funny... considering your limited experience with RIFT PvP - that you would make a statement such as this. So thank you for stopping...it was a delicate balancing act between laughing and /facepalm reading what you post.

Good luck in your quest to make everyone as miserable as you are.
    "If you don't have enough respect for yourself and others to learn how to spell and use proper grammar, you're really not worth paying attention to."

- me

Quote Originally Posted by Grisheub View Post
    Good luck in your quest to make everyone as miserable as you are.
    So, in my quest to make RIFT more enjoyable...I'm on a quest to make everyone miserable?

*formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Rift Disciple

This really is a sad thread. What I see mostly is people working hard in agony to get to somewhere and stating 'they finally made it', in a game.
    So the journey wasn't fun, the destination was, right.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Gkon View Post
    This really is a sad thread. What I see mostly is people working hard in agony to get to somewhere and stating 'they finally made it', in a game.
    So the journey wasn't fun, the destination was, right.
    Video games aren't about fun and legitimate competition anymore, they're about stomping noobs with the stuff you unlocked for having had the game turned on more hours than they have.

See also: The abominable creep of "Your guns now do more damage / you now take less damage from guns" perk ******** into FPS games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Garble View Post
    Considering how "hard" it is to pvp, especially for someone just hitting 50, Trion needs to remove all ranks and just start everyone at rank 8 and give them all free gear. This way all the cry babies can enter a warfront and be a fully geared rank 8 player.

Never mind the concept of "earning" anything.

Lets make everything easy for the lazy people.

Waaaaa, we cant compete against higher ranked players, waaaaaaaaaaa.

I hit 50 one week ago. Im rank 4 already. Yes, ive been beaten, battered and humiliated along the way. But i'm stronger for it. I will continue to take my knocks and press forward through the ranks. Because I am a true warrior. I will not cry or complain. I will be rank 8. And i will have "earned" it.

Those of you looking for a free ride or a handout are the ones who will eventually ruin this game.
    Can I have whatever you pay your rent with and your maid feeding you pretzels? Also, does the maid empty the potty, or is that someone else?

Nah, kidding aside, I like how you used quotation marks around "earned", it shows insight.

Rift Disciple

Considering how "hard" it is to pvp, especially for someone just hitting 50, Trion needs to remove all ranks and just start everyone at rank 8 and give them all free gear. This way all the cry babies can enter a warfront and be a fully geared rank 8 player.

I hit 50 one week ago. Im rank 4 already. Yes, ive been beaten, battered and humiliated along the way. But i'm stronger for it. I will continue to take my knocks and press forward through the ranks. Because I am a true warrior. I will not cry or complain. I will be rank 8. And i will have "earned" it.

Those of you looking for a free ride or a handout are the ones who will eventually ruin this game.
    1. Doesn't take much but constant queueing for WF's get higher rank. Not really earning anything, you're just showing up to the party.

2. You can easily "earn" 1-3 upgrades a day, depending on how much you PvP

3. You're right on the QQ about not being able to compete against higher ranking people. Unfortunately that is about the only valid QQ there is about PvP. (Yes, the nerf bat has been swung too hard when minor tweaks would've fixed things, but that's a thread for later)

They either need to fix scaling on PvP gear or they need to split the queue's to R1-4 and R5-8 so people of all ranks will have a chance to compete. Will queue times go up? Maybe...Maybe not. Will the higher ranking folks QQ about not having the free kills? More than likely, but at least a fresh 50 will have a better chance against a R4 than they will against a R6+. It might even get them to stick around a bit more and not discourage them from progressing through the ranks.

It's not that it's hard... i am not sure that's why most are complaining..
    its that its getting boring.
    PVP in rift is boring. There is no challenge for all ranks.

I am rank 2.. i honestly don't care that i die.. but it gets a little boring entering a warfront and pretty much afking through the entire thing.
    I would rather compete against my own level, or even 1 or 2 ranks higher (so its kinda like pvp from 10-49) rather than sitting at the spawning pool letting my team down

Telaran

People like to say that this is a game of progression and other people should have to earn their gear. Why is it then that Trion doesn't expect a fresh 50 to have to farm Hk for gear? It's because they know it's pointless, kind of like trying to do anything with a fresh 50 in a warfront.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast