+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Violacea

Thread: Suggestion: Valor Indicator and Disable Cosmetics in WF

Post Suggestion: Valor Indicator and Disable Cosmetics in WF

This is just a suggestion I would find useful being a healer in War Fronts.

Right below the role indicator on the group raid windows add the players current Valor score to be seen by same side players.

Rank doesn't mean anything if you don't spend the Favor to purchase the Valor gear.

A side suggestion as well that other MMOs have implemented which I think is a good idea is disable all cosmetics and override head/shoulder preferences while in War Fronts to always show. This would give the opposing side a tell tale on the enenies strength knowing the different ranked graphics.
    RIFT - Gnarlwood PvE Shard
    Muuhut: 50 Cleric Rank 8, Valor 1100 ~1900 SP
    SWToR - PvE Server
    Muu Vang - Republic Trooper Vanguard
    The Elder Knights

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Muuhut View Post

Right below the role indicator on the group raid windows add the players current Valor score to be seen by same side players.

Rank doesn't mean anything if you don't spend the Favor to purchase the Valor gear.

A side suggestion as well that other MMOs have implemented which I think is a good idea is disable all cosmetics and override head/shoulder preferences while in War Fronts to always show. This would give the opposing side a tell tale on the enenies strength knowing the different ranked graphics.
    As someone who wardrobes out of showing PVP rank, I think this should be incorporated, especially considering the massive gear disparity.

No, if you can't deduce enough information about your enemy based on the type of power bar (blue, pink, yellow), the size of their HP pool and buffs seeing valor and rank won't help you either. It would help make people feel justified for losing to higher ranks and take the fun out of appearence slot to begin with. PvP RP server? Sure some are very passionate to their appearence as a foe/ally. The fact you can never hide the forementioned things is enough exposure to the enemy for someone who takes a second to check them out.

Also among the two blue power bars, if buffs arn't present you can usually tell if its a cleric cause mages tend to have much higher mana pools relative to equal clerics. Not perfect but I even check the size of the mana pool if I am not sure if its cleric or mage. The fact for *appearence* you are forced to wear your callings type of armor. Ie. I cannot wear a robe on my rogue for appearence no matter what, even if it says rogue wearable. But I can equip a robe as a main item, thus it becoming my appearence. Of course, there would be no reason to fear a rogue in a robe and I might double take one if I saw it.
    Last edited by Violacea; 08-26-2011 at 06:06 AM.

Ascendant

Been saying for a while that there should be a client-side option to disable wardrobe and appearance processing in Warfronts. Visual identification and threat assessment is a critical component of high-level play. Yes, you can look at resource bars and HP pools, but resource bars only tell you what class it is, not what gear level it is. HP pools are far too variable to be a reliable indicator except in a very broad sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

Just look at their weapon. That, by itself, is a pretty good indicator of what you are fighting.

i lol'd so fricken hard.....
    The artist formally known as Dubs

Rift Disciple

Some people won't be happy until "PvP" is actually just a raid instance where the mobs look like opposing players, and there's a YouTube video that tells you how to win.
    "If you don't have enough respect for yourself and others to learn how to spell and use proper grammar, you're really not worth paying attention to."

- me

They should just add PvP Rank next to the name as they did in AoC....

So rank1 kitties stop trying to solo an elephant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

makes no sense not to buy gear anymore as you need a piece from previous tier to exchange for the higher one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    Been saying for a while that there should be a client-side option to disable wardrobe and appearance processing in Warfronts. Visual identification and threat assessment is a critical component of high-level play. Yes, you can look at resource bars and HP pools, but resource bars only tell you what class it is, not what gear level it is. HP pools are far too variable to be a reliable indicator except in a very broad sense.
    It's true with my method you can't really deduce precise ranks and level. But it's fairly ballparkable. sub 4k hp they are wearing garbage for gear. 4 - 4.8k hp usually rank 2 - 4 (check for endurance buffs and just subtract them mentally), 5 - 8k hp is usually a rank 4 - 8 or a tank spec'd toon. 8 - 10k hp is either a Chloro or tank spec, or just a straight up BAMF. Since all PvP gear sort of gives the same progression of health (or having pvp lessers) it works to an extent. Just have to be aware of souls who have access to HP increases via soul spec or realize most warriors, for a good example, you should factor in a little more hp to the total because they generally have soul granted HP boosts available.

I agree with the person who said making a client-side option to override appearance might work. I know games have made mounts rendering clientside or model type. Seems like it would be easy to apply to appearance.

A valor indicator would be interesting though. I am not sure how it would play out. I can already see many scenarios going in all sorts of directions if you could see valor. Would make the rogue game (as they are infamous for being able to pick their fights the best of anyone) if they could even further realize a target has 200 valor and a high rank could confidently open up with all their big hitters instead of bleeds since they know the target is gonna drop like slicing a pillow. That is just one example relating more to my playstyle but it would play out interesting for everyone. Don't know if it would be detrimental or beneficial to overall pvp atmosphere though.

I still alter my playstyle based on my mentioned observations but ya, this info would really make it so the savvy could know exactly what is *enough* for the fight they are getting into, minus player skill of course, that can always sneak up on ya.
    Last edited by Violacea; 08-26-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Ascendant

Precision is really my whole point, to be honest. As an assassin primary, given a situation where there are two enemy clerics -- one is R6, one is R5 -- it would be a tactical error for me to open up on the R6 cleric, because I have a significantly greater chance of getting the R5 down and removing a healer from the fight. And an R5 will be sporting the R4 chest, shoulders, and helm, so it is visually identifiable without having to spend precious moments doing math on HP totals.

This issue is only exacerbated by R7/8 gear being the same graphics as R5/6 gear. An R8 player has the same defenses as an R6 player (save for a bit higher HP pool), but has much better offense, so it is more important to get the R8 down than it is the R6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

aux

knowing the different ranked graphics.
    Yeah, very funny.
    I'm so BORED

So my Valor suggestion was only intended for the side you are on, your raid not the enemy valor.

Many times as a healer I have to decide what DPS to place resources into and keep alive if my AoE heals are on CD. I would like to place resources into the teammate I know will have a better chance to use them. Just an example.

This can be done now prior to map starting inspect everyone on the team, see what pvp pieces they have and get a ball park Valor number, write down their name and score on paper. But then I got to look over to the paper..etc... see how slow and clumsy this is. Nice to have a Valor stat on raid window.
    RIFT - Gnarlwood PvE Shard
    Muuhut: 50 Cleric Rank 8, Valor 1100 ~1900 SP
    SWToR - PvE Server
    Muu Vang - Republic Trooper Vanguard
    The Elder Knights

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    No, if you can't deduce enough information about your enemy based on the type of power bar (blue, pink, yellow), the size of their HP pool and buffs seeing valor and rank won't help you either. It would help make people feel justified for losing to higher ranks and take the fun out of appearence slot to begin with. PvP RP server? Sure some are very passionate to their appearence as a foe/ally. The fact you can never hide the forementioned things is enough exposure to the enemy for someone who takes a second to check them out.

Also among the two blue power bars, if buffs arn't present you can usually tell if its a cleric cause mages tend to have much higher mana pools relative to equal clerics. Not perfect but I even check the size of the mana pool if I am not sure if its cleric or mage. The fact for *appearence* you are forced to wear your callings type of armor. Ie. I cannot wear a robe on my rogue for appearence no matter what, even if it says rogue wearable. But I can equip a robe as a main item, thus it becoming my appearence. Of course, there would be no reason to fear a rogue in a robe and I might double take one if I saw it.
    there is a robe looking leather chest from one of the t2 dungeons that i have on one of my wardrobes though ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    All I see is your team gettin rolled but managing to win anyway.

+ Reply to Thread