+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I buy PvP gear...

Default Should I buy PvP gear...

While leveling up?

I'm a level 35 Rogue doing a fair amount of WFs and wondering if it's worth buying PvP specific gear, or should I just make due with Pve/Quested gear drops. To be honest, I'm not even sure where the PvP vendors for pre level 50 are (if any?).

What do you all think?

leveling is so quick, it's not really worth it imo.
    *******************PROUD FLAGGOT*******************
    andymonster p8 warrior: deepstrike
    <black flag>: home of the idiotys

Shadowlander

Save all your favor for lvl 50 stuff.

I didn't and my r6 is wearing 6 pieces that still aren't r5-r6. Although that was under the pre 1.4 system, but still, if i were you i'd save the favor.

Ascendant

Don't.
    To answer your question, yes there is pre-50 pvp vendors, 1 per zone ( called "pvp goods" ).
    But
    1) That gear has no/very small valor
    2) PVE gear is just as good
    3) You'll waste favors for stuff you'll replace 30 minutes later
    4) You'd rather have favors ready to buy some stuff as soon as you hit 50, so you don't post in threads about being 2-shotted by people (you'll make one about being 3-shotted, if you have some gear ).
    Last edited by somerandomnamee; 08-24-2011 at 04:09 PM.

If you level through warfronts like me, you'll hit the favor cap. at level 42, I have 200k lifetime favor, and 140k current favor. And it's not just as good, if you PvP you need gear. Besides, who wants to quest?

edit: on my mage toon. I play all 4, mage has been my fave thus far.
    Last edited by Hartzekar; 08-24-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Rift Disciple

depends. If you pvp a lot it doesnt matter - otherwise save it for the nightmare of lvl 50.

the warfront rewards are cheap, and there's various stuff avaiable at 25/35/45. that's worth buying.

the stuff from the PvP goods vendors is way too expensive (r1 gear is comparable in price to the level 42-48 blues in iron pine) to bother with.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

I don't think it would hurt. It might be nice to grab a couple pieces for slots you fall short on. When leveling up I try to buy cheap upgrades from the AH to keep me going through the levels and do mimimal questing between ques. I bought quite a bunch of PvP gear and hit 50 with ~100k favor and didn't "catch up" on my rank/gear until I hit r6.

But I did this pre-pvp rift and pre-bonus weekend whitefall. Which was also when items were slightly more expensive (if you compare mark cost now to favor cost before, they were reduced decently). Reason I mention this is because for example, my whole way to rank 6, I was mostly getting the common 4:5 favor/prestige reward. So my favor earned verses prestige progression made was subject to that when it came spending time. From the way it works on Bonus weekends you earn more favor than prestige. And the reason I bring up raid rifts is because if you get into a number of those, from what I find they hand out a mark quite frequently. If you do a good handful of raid rifts, sure the ones you don't get a mark you get the standard 600 prestige and 450 favor I think. But if you get a mark, that is like getting 600 prestige and 2050 favor. So you are gaining favor sometimes at a much quicker rate than progression. Couple that with reduced item cost, you shouldn't have to keep you spending too strict all along the way.

Kill some lonely opposite faction little wardstone things for 67 favor and 0 prestige are nice to grab during your off time since it's pure favor earned without any prestige progression. Beneficial if you are looking at avenues to help make spending favor more efficient relative to your rank.

I could have just said ya - but if you wanted to know my reasoning it is that even when I progression almost 100% on a 4:5 reward gain, I only 'caught up' by rank 6. Reduced item cost and more ways of favor>prestige ratios of reward handed out should promote much more possible spending.
    Last edited by Violacea; 08-24-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzekar View Post
    If you level through warfronts like me, you'll hit the favor cap. at level 42, I have 200k lifetime favor, and 140k current favor. And it's not just as good, if you PvP you need gear.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but the best pre-50 PVP gear I saw had like 1-3 valor a piece...
    So you can get a whopping 2-3% damage reduction if you get the best possible gear?
    I wouldn't spend favor for that, you'll get better at 50.
    If you're about to hit the favor cap then yeah, it'd be stupid not to spend it... But I wouldn't waste any favor for stuff I'll want upgraded as soon as I hit 50.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzekar View Post
    If you level through warfronts like me, you'll hit the favor cap. at level 42, I have 200k lifetime favor, and 140k current favor. And it's not just as good, if you PvP you need gear. Besides, who wants to quest?

edit: on my mage toon. I play all 4, mage has been my fave thus far.
    Under the new pvp system if you level 100% through warfronts 1-50, you still won't have enough favor to meet the cap.

450 mark of retributions is 720 000 favor, plus you can hold another 160,000 favor, bringing the total it takes to cap to 880,000.

+ Reply to Thread