+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Valor should be the same amount for all PVP gear

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by jMerliN View Post
    Clearly, you do not PvP much.
    Clearly I do as shown by me almost being r8 (allllmost there.... /dragggggg).

Soulwalker

Making valor static is not a good idea, but the difference between P2 and P8 gear for example is way too huge. P2 chest gives 53 valor and P8 chest gives 106 valor. Provided valor benefits are linear, P8 player not only vastly outdamages and has usually over 50% more hp, but also would have double the amount of damage reduction.

The numbers on the gear mean nothing. What needs to happen is to make valor have diminishing returns so that rank 8 geared people would still have the same reduction, but everyone with worse gear than that would have more reduction than they do now: most benefit for the lowest ranks.

P8 gear gives huge advantage in damage and hp already, the valor benefits could well be nerfed in relation to lower ranks.

That said it might not be a terrible idea to make lower prestige ranks easier to attain than they are now. Sure, people who have grinded them including myself would feel a bit betrayed, but it'd help level the playing field a lot if more people had access to atleast semi-decent gear. That could, however, unbalance pve.

EDIT: The root of the problem is though, that this game seems to have a huge gear level inflation taking into account it's only 6 months old.
    Last edited by Elmokki; 08-23-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Rift Disciple

I actually like this idea.

Given Trion's reluctance to bracket PvP Prestige ranks due to concerns about queue times, this is the next best suggestion. Players would still have to earn the better PvP gear, but at least they would have more survivability so that they don't feel completely useless and can contribute more in WFs. Higher stats on higher PvP gear means that P6+ are still going to out damage and out heal anyone in lower ranked gear, but with Valor as a static amount, no one loses and everyone wins. It also means that even the lowest Prestige ranked players would have a significant advantage over PvE geared players in PvP, which is how it should be.

Trion should hire this guy on their PvP development staff. He seems to have a better grasp of balance solutions than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmokki View Post
    Making valor static is not a good idea, but the difference between P2 and P8 gear for example is way too huge. P2 chest gives 53 valor and P8 chest gives 106 valor. Provided valor benefits are linear, P8 player not only vastly outdamages and has usually over 50% more hp, but also would have double the amount of damage reduction.

The numbers on the gear mean nothing. What needs to happen is to make valor have diminishing returns so that rank 8 geared people would still have the same reduction, but everyone with worse gear than that would have more reduction than they do now: most benefit for the lowest ranks.

P8 gear gives huge advantage in damage and hp already, the valor benefits could well be nerfed in relation to lower ranks.

That said it might not be a terrible idea to make lower prestige ranks easier to attain than they are now. Sure, people who have grinded them including myself would feel a bit betrayed, but it'd help level the playing field a lot if more people had access to atleast semi-decent gear. That could, however, unbalance pve.

EDIT: The root of the problem is though, that this game seems to have a huge gear level inflation taking into account it's only 6 months old.
    No, because this punishes max rank players. Why should they take more damage (a severe downgrade in gear) for gaining ranks? That's absurd.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Rift Master

Eh, the P7 and P8 gear does not have any more valor than P5 and P6 gear actually.

There are only 3 tiers of valor. Getting to the second tier takes like 2 days. Not a big deal.

The big deal is ******ed attack power scaling, tons of off-GCD abilities that cause overpowered damage outside of longer PvE encounters where power starvation comes into play, lightning burst 1-shotting, and chloro/lock being overpowered in general. I think I got everything.
    Last edited by Valanceer; 08-23-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    No, because this punishes max rank players. Why should they take more damage (a severe downgrade in gear) for gaining ranks? That's absurd.
    Sorry if I wrote my message too confusingly. The point was not to reduce anything a P8 player has or make a P8 take more damage than a lower rank player. The point was to make lower rank players take less damage than they do now. So basically make valor give less reduction per point the more points you have with such scaling that current P8 has the same amount as it does now.

This is not a nerf per se to P8, but it is an indirect nerf since P8 wouldn't be as much more powerful as lower ranks anymore. So sure, there would be QQ as lower rank people wouldn't be as easy to kill anymore, but I think it'd just make the game more enjoyable. Then again there are those who do enjoy godmode.

Rift Master

Sorry if I wrote my message too confusingly. The point was not to reduce anything a P8 player has or make a P8 take more damage than a lower rank player. The point was to make lower rank players take less damage than they do now. So basically make valor give less reduction per point the more points you have with such scaling that current P8 has the same amount as it does now.

This is not a nerf per se to P8, but it is an indirect nerf since P8 wouldn't be as much more powerful as lower ranks anymore. So sure, there would be QQ as lower rank people wouldn't be as easy to kill anymore, but I think it'd just make the game more enjoyable. Then again there are those who do enjoy godmode.
    We still get instantly killed at max valor. Trust me, not having enough valor isn't the problem.
    You see all the warrior nerf threads and lightning burst 1-shot screenshot threads made every couple minutes? hint hint
    Last edited by Valanceer; 08-23-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Agreed with OP.

If everyone had 1k Valor handed out to them, 51 Pyro from 1.1 would never have been nerfed.
    Last edited by ArchivistCarrion; 08-24-2011 at 12:24 AM.
    JD - Formerly Archivist
    ||P8 Mage||11/11 HK||
    Breaking Bads @ Seastone
    Recruiting 1 Warrior or Rogue Tank - Apply on the Website!!

I know, I understood what you meant, I'm just showing you how it can be perceived. If lower ranks are stronger in any sense of the word, then it's a downgrade to rank 8. That's punishing players who rank up. That's not good.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Plane Walker

I agree. Don't really like valor system but as long as it is there, all tier gears should have equal valor. Also all essences, would make those terrible green pvp essence dropping from rifts worth something.
    I was born amidst the purple waterfalls.
    I was weak, yet not unblessed.
    Dead to the world. Alive for the journey. -Nightwish, Bless the Child

Quote Originally Posted by Lonz View Post
    This basically suggests the removal of Valor altogether. No point in having the stat if everybody gets the same amount.

Not opposed to the idea, tbh. I thought resilience was idiotic in WoW but at least I only had 3 tiers of gear to deal with. Valor is beyond ridiculous with 8 ranks in the mix.
    The point of the stat is to make it so Hammerknell people don't come into PVP and wreck everyone who just pvp's

Simply put, Valor should be the same amount on all Ranks of PVP gear, you could get more with say the Essences and enchants, But the base amount should be the same on all lvls of gear.
    Xsorus - Rank 8 Mage/Server Seastone/Guardian/Guild - Desolate

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Sorovos View Post
    Currently, I've noticed low rank people are getting instagibbed more and more in Warfronts to various overpowered specs.

Now i'm all for low ranks having to take their punches, But I think a better balance solution would simply be make all Ranks of PVP gear have the same amount of valor on them, The only change would be the actual stats of the gear.

This would mean people in Rank 1 Gear would take 40% less damage just the same as Rank 8 Gear, but only the stat difference would be the advantage.

I think something like that would go a long way towards balancing the current setup so rank 1's are just crushed so hardcore.
    I agree, but only because I said the same thing 2 months ago.

LoL someone call the hospital this Sorvos guy needs help. or whatever the fk his name is
    Last edited by Blays; 08-24-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Valanceer View Post
    We still get instantly killed at max valor. Trust me, not having enough valor isn't the problem.
    You see all the warrior nerf threads and lightning burst 1-shot screenshot threads made every couple minutes? hint hint
    You're gonna see the opposite posts soon QQing about damage being too low. Not many people have explored all their build options. There are equally(maybe even more) overpowered defensive tools in this game.

Rift Chaser

Trions mistake was releasing way too many tiers too soon. If we were on tier 3 max right now, this wouldn't be so bad. That's all water under the bridge at this point, and they have a major problem on their hands. There is no solution they are going to come up with that doesn't tick off 50% of their player base.

This is what PvP gear should have been in the first place. The stat boosts alone are enough to give you an advantage. This would have been a fantastic idea had it been implemented right from the start. Good luck trying to convince people that are on the good side of the I win button that this should happen though.

It's a shame this game is 100% based on gear, and skill plays absolutely no part in 50 PvP, other than the odd times where you get 2 groups together that are close in gear levels. That happens.....maybe once out of every 20 games?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast