+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 133
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New players, welcome to HELL!!!!

  1. #16
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaBBB View Post
    I think you really are missing the point. Make an alt and find out what it is now like as a new level 50. Why would anyone want to stay with how it is and if ppl don't stay, how will this game survive. If this is how you want it, you're more foolish than you think.

    I'm a new 50 and I'm not finding it nearly as bad as all the whining had led me to believe it would be.
    "If you don't have enough respect for yourself and others to learn how to spell and use proper grammar, you're really not worth paying attention to."

    - me

  2. #17
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Here, I will break it down for you. This is how it works, You have 2 options generaly speaking...

    Option A: Do as you describe, seperate WF brackets to cater to the new guys. This in turn has a snowball effect on high ranked players and low ranked players themself. Those 10-15m q times just went upto an hour for 1game. 1x 15m game. Both brackets now suffer this, but moreso, the high ranked brackets, because there just simply are not enough supply. Thus, you in turn hurt the high ranked players again, by making them suffer though horriable que times, and they stop qing all together. The newbie bracket will also suffer increased que times because the high ranked players and not being pooled into the q anymore.
    This is a no win option.

    Option B: Leave it as it is, give ALL players a bonus to gains, sometimes even 4x gains, lower the PvP gear cost drasticaly, and continue to pool players of all ranks for lowest possiable q times. This creates a forum of unhappy people who get rolled by others who only PvP, and that is what they enjoy, and thus, they cry its not fair they used their R8 weapons on us and killed us, blah blah and just ignore them.
    Option B is the only choice, using "logic" to keep everybody as about as content as possiable.


    This is an MMO, nobody will be happy, ever. The trick is finding the happy medium...
    Last edited by Columbian; 08-23-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auden View Post
    I think the problem is too many terrible players in Rift that are involved with PVP.

    As well as when they die in PVP, all they see on their screen is the warrior.. not the other 5 ranged classes that assisted him.

  3. #18
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbian View Post
    Here, I will break it down for you. This is how it works, You have 2 options generaly speaking...

    Option A: Do as you describe, seperate WF brackets to cater to the new guys. This in turn has a snowball effect on high ranked players and low ranked players themself. Those 10-15m q times just went upto an hour for 1game. 1x 15m game. Both brackets now suffer this, but moreso, the high ranked brackets, because there just simply are not enough supply. Thus, you in turn hurt the high ranked players again, by making them suffer though horriable que times, and they stop qing all together. The newbie bracket will also suffer increased que times because the high ranked players and not being pooled into the q anymore.
    This is a no win option.

    Option B: Leave it as it is, give ALL players a bonus to gains, sometimes even 4x gains, lower the PvP gear cost drasticaly, and continue to pool players of all ranks for lowest possiable q times. This creates a forum of unhappy people who get rolled by others who only PvP, and that is what they enjoy, and thus, they cry its not fair they used their R8 weapons on us and killed us, blah blah and just ignore them.
    Option B is the only choice, using "logic" to keep everybody as about as content as possiable.

    This is an MMO, nobody will be happy, ever. The trick is finding the happy medium...

    I'm happy.



    "If you don't have enough respect for yourself and others to learn how to spell and use proper grammar, you're really not worth paying attention to."

    - me

  4. #19
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryadic View Post
    No, they lock posts that contribute not meaningful discourse and are viewed as harmful. The OP isn't harmful, but there isn't any room for discourse. He's just complains and makes statement without any logical backing or analysis that proves his points. So, uhhhh, let me see if I can bring some debate and discourse to the thread.

    The OP makes a great point, that is pretty obvious, to separate ranks into different brackets. This would help out a lot. Everyone knows this. Trion knows it. The OP also asserts that doing so would further disrupt queue time for rank 1 - 4. Well hold up there, sparky. Where's the logical backing of this? First you are assuming 2 things. One, the majority of players are in the higher bracket. And 2, that the amount of rank 1 - 4 players won't queue up more often if this were changed.

    I am a rank 2 warrior. I'm about 1/3 the way into the rank. So roughly 60k prestige left to hit until rank 3. I don't queue up so much because I am put in queue with high ranked players that I just cannot damage due to the amount of valor they have. If they were to separate the brackets, I would be more apt to queue up and participate in PvP. I posit that others will also have this mindset and PvP wouldn't be much of a problem.

    PvP isn't the only thing in this game. If someone unsubscribes from this game solely based on the way PvP is, then there isn't much that will bring them back. This game isn't PvP driven. It's PvE driven. Hell, the game is called Rift and you fight off Rifts of PvE mobs. If you subscribed to this game looking for a deep and rich PvP experience, you subscribed to the wrong game. There is PvP in this game and it can be enjoyable, but it isn't for everyone. So because of this, I do not think there are that many people that unsubscribed because of the problems with PvP. I could be wrong, but I'm going to assume that a game that is built around the idea of PvE will draw players looking for a wonderful PvE experience with the possibility of some simple fun PvP. That's what I came for, that is what I receive.

    My biggest problem in PvP is the one man army complex that everyone seems to have. No matter you class, spec, build, whatever, people seem to think they can run in and take down the opposition every time. No one works together as a team to focus targets down or protect their healers (if you're lucky enough to have people willing to play a healer spec in PvP). It is very frustrating to watch some people play this game the way they do. But this happens in all level brackets. How do you fix this? Well, bonus valor + prestige for healers that are below a threshold. Similar for tanks/support. How that works exactly, I could not propose.
    Yea Im not the most elegant of writers, but I like your perspective that the Queue system would actually speed up queue times because alot of players like youreself would all of a sudden have interest and more players would be queueing. Trion did mention that creating brackets was on there list, but its at the bottom of the list and they wont be worrying about fixing it for a long time. This post is to prove to them that they are losing there minds, it should be very high on the list. it seems like something they could hot fix in a weekend. It would make a HUGE difference to the enjoyment people are having in this game every day and open a flood of joy for new players facing the BRUTAL grind.

  5. #20
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbian View Post
    Here, I will break it down for you. This is how it works, You have 2 options generaly speaking...

    Option A: Do as you describe, seperate WF brackets to cater to the new guys. This in turn has a snowball effect on high ranked players and low ranked players themself. Those 10-15m q times just went upto an hour for 1game. 1x 15m game. Both brackets now suffer this, but moreso, the high ranked brackets, because there just simply are not enough supply. Thus, you in turn hurt the high ranked players again, by making them suffer though horriable que times, and they stop qing all together. The newbie bracket will also suffer increased que times because the high ranked players and not being pooled into the q anymore.
    This is a no win option.

    Option B: Leave it as it is, give ALL players a bonus to gains, sometimes even 4x gains, lower the PvP gear cost drasticaly, and continue to pool players of all ranks for lowest possiable q times. This creates a forum of unhappy people who get rolled by others who only PvP, and that is what they enjoy, and thus, they cry its not fair they used their R8 weapons on us and killed us, blah blah and just ignore them.
    Option B is the only choice, using "logic" to keep everybody as about as content as possiable.

    If you think this is bad, you should have done P6 full armor and weapons pre-bonus gains, dailys, 4x bonus weekends... This grind now is a joke if you win....

    This is an MMO, nobody will be happy, ever. The trick is finding the happy medium...
    Exactly, the issue is that trion is Dumb for not implementing the seperate queues at the start, and then watch the pvp community grow and thrive. instead they went the lazy design route with option B and the queues in the game right now make it feel like its dying a slow death. If they would have implemented it, then the rank 6-8 bracket would have a much much higher % chance for the game to be epically competitive, the quality of the matches would be unbelievably better. And the lower brackets would be much much more fun for players in them. Option A is the obvious better choice, option B was what they did because they have decided to be lazy, or see themselves that the queues are already to slow to implement the system reliably. Its a fairly huge design fail on Trions part and it might be too late to fix.
    Last edited by Combustion; 08-23-2011 at 03:56 PM.

  6. #21
    Rift Master RubberDuckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Combustion View Post
    So for whatever reason Trion couldnt see what a 3rd grader could, and thats obviously making it so that rank 1-4 queue against eachother, and rank 5-up queue against eachother. Of course this probably has alot to do with little to no player growth causing PVP queues to averaging over 5-10 minutes, which is of course absolutely miserable.

    Now I heard trion mention they might add this feature down the road, and my point is that it should have been there at release or added in the first patch AT THE LEAST! If that had happened then I feel there would be alot more subs still enjoying PVP, and alot more new players happily moving up the ranks. If it had been done well there WOULD be enough PVP players to have 2 seperate tiers of pvp going on healthily. Now the queues are so slow that if they added this blatantly needed feature they would have to connect all servers so we could queue against the whole community in order to have less than a 30 minute queue.

    And lastly and most importantly for the growth of this game you would think they would have new players in mind. Imagine the kid that gets this game and hits 50 for the first time today and is excited about pvp, then he gets in there and gets his faced just absolutely ROFLSTOMPED all day every day by rank 6, 7, and 8, guys with absolutely no chance in hell of feeling like he is contributing or effective in any way. And then notices how long of a grind its going to be before he gets to the point where he can live for more than 2 seconds. Thats an absolutely MIND NUMBING BRUTAL POORLY DESIGNED SYSTEM that does not encourage new players to buy this game and hop into the PVP fun. If I was a new player that wanted to pvp and then saw how much of a poorly designed grind system while you get your *** handed to you for however miserably long with no chance of success I would want a full refund.
    as most players are rank6+ now the new 50's that want to pvp that joined rift later are going to go through hell yes.

    not realy fair on the new players and if trion want more people playing there game they need to get there acts together and get this crap sorted pronto

  7. #22
    Ascendant VirusDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbian View Post
    Here, I will break it down for you. This is how it works, You have 2 options generaly speaking...

    Option A: Do as you describe, seperate WF brackets to cater to the new guys. This in turn has a snowball effect on high ranked players and low ranked players themself. Those 10-15m q times just went upto an hour for 1game. 1x 15m game. Both brackets now suffer this, but moreso, the high ranked brackets, because there just simply are not enough supply. Thus, you in turn hurt the high ranked players again, by making them suffer though horriable que times, and they stop qing all together. The newbie bracket will also suffer increased que times because the high ranked players and not being pooled into the q anymore.
    This is a no win option.
    You have no proof for any of this though. I mean, you know - like no proof in the least that this is what would happen.

    Trion could just as easily reshuffle the clusters again to facilitate queue times. It would not be a problem for the R5-8 group. And knowing that they would not be subject to farming by high ranked players might actually cause more lower ranked players to participate.

    Your boogeyman argument is rather pointless.

    Option B: Leave it as it is, give ALL players a bonus to gains, sometimes even 4x gains, lower the PvP gear cost drasticaly, and continue to pool players of all ranks for lowest possiable q times. This creates a forum of unhappy people who get rolled by others who only PvP, and that is what they enjoy, and thus, they cry its not fair they used their R8 weapons on us and killed us, blah blah and just ignore them.
    Option B is the only choice, using "logic" to keep everybody as about as content as possiable.
    They have already reduced the costs and increased gains a couple of times. It has not resolved the issue. Option B is not really an option. It has been done and it has failed. There is no logic used in it whatsoever. I'm baffled by your post so far.

    This is an MMO, nobody will be happy, ever. The trick is finding the happy medium...
    R1-4 & R5-8 with a system to allower R5+ players to downrank to R4 so they can still play with friends. The happy medium... what we have now is not the happy medium. Reducing the "grind" of PvP is not a happy medium.

    I really don't get why you posted this in all seriousness...
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

  8. #23
    Rift Disciple Ryadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    183

    Default

    This is an MMO. Not everyone will be happy with everything. Everyone is going to complain about something because it was not ideal for them. I'm not sure why you are surprised someone said that, VirusDancer.

    But that isn't necessarily unique to MMOs. The same thing happens to League of Legends. Any nerf/buff in that game is met with a lot of hate and praise. Some people like it, others don't. That is the way of online gaming. Just have to accept each change that comes through and hope that if it isn't working out, it will be reverted back. Or worked on again and changed for the better.

    Even if the OP thought that PvP was balanced, someone wouldn't. No matter what, someone is going to complain. It is just a matter of doing what is best for the masses and ignoring the complaints of the minority. Sounds bad, but it is what a company has to do. Piss off 25% of your player base with a change or 75% of your player base?

  9. #24
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryadic View Post
    This is an MMO. Not everyone will be happy with everything. Everyone is going to complain about something because it was not ideal for them. I'm not sure why you are surprised someone said that, VirusDancer.

    But that isn't necessarily unique to MMOs. The same thing happens to League of Legends. Any nerf/buff in that game is met with a lot of hate and praise. Some people like it, others don't. That is the way of online gaming. Just have to accept each change that comes through and hope that if it isn't working out, it will be reverted back. Or worked on again and changed for the better.

    Even if the OP thought that PvP was balanced, someone wouldn't. No matter what, someone is going to complain. It is just a matter of doing what is best for the masses and ignoring the complaints of the minority. Sounds bad, but it is what a company has to do. Piss off 25% of your player base with a change or 75% of your player base?
    Right but there is no downside to creating seperate tiers for anyone except the rank 8 guy that loves to grave yard farm rank 2 players to feel good about himself. Kinda making your whole point mute.

  10. #25
    Rift Chaser Cardinals's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    336

    Default To: New Players

    The best thing you can do for yourself at R1 -4 is to find a dps of higher rank and follow that person around exclusively. Target what he targets, burn what he burns.

    You could do the same with healers. Just follow one around and target people who jump him / her. If you are protecting them they will heal you.

    Going around solo like Chick Norris when you have low valor will not net you any self satisfaction.
    Last edited by Cardinals; 08-23-2011 at 04:21 PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boltswiki View Post
    I deal with warriors by crying about them on the forums until Trion nerfs them

  11. #26
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    You have no proof for any of this though. I mean, you know - like no proof in the least that this is what would happen.

    Trion could just as easily reshuffle the clusters again to facilitate queue times. It would not be a problem for the R5-8 group. And knowing that they would not be subject to farming by high ranked players might actually cause more lower ranked players to participate.

    Your boogeyman argument is rather pointless.



    They have already reduced the costs and increased gains a couple of times. It has not resolved the issue. Option B is not really an option. It has been done and it has failed. There is no logic used in it whatsoever. I'm baffled by your post so far.



    R1-4 & R5-8 with a system to allower R5+ players to downrank to R4 so they can still play with friends. The happy medium... what we have now is not the happy medium. Reducing the "grind" of PvP is not a happy medium.

    I really don't get why you posted this in all seriousness...
    I could say ditto about your post, but sure, Im bored, lets do it.

    You are 100% correct I have no proof it would happen. What I do have is access to all the crying on the forums about how high ranked players come spawn camp teams of newbies, and thus making the game not enjoyable for them. Which would lead me to believe there are a majority of low ranked people queing up. I would go abit further, with that said, to believe due to the "mass of newbies being rolled" it would lead to increased que times for high ranked players who are also queing. See what I did thur?

    On to the next... The lower costs and increased gains failing.... Maybe in youre eyes, it failed, to others, it was a huge success. No longer did they need to save favor to afford R6 and above, but Trion, rolled it into a continualy upgrading system, where you never have to not buy lower ranked gear because of the massive cost to gain ratio during P1-P6. That was a huge. They also put in PvP rifts to bring back World PvP. Sure, they brought some problems, but, they did just want they were intended to do. Much like the bonus everything while grinding ranks, it works, but you have to actually grind, and not go whine when you lose matchs and blame it on "gear" and "OP classes"

    This grind is easy, and compaired to other MMO's, doesnt even compair. All you have to do is play, Trion has already given you about everything they can without mailing you a free set of every R8 item soon as you ding 50.

    Stop the crying already, and once you prove a point of why people who put in the work for the best PvP gear out, should suffer because, heaven forbid, you are unhappy about getting rolled and dont think its fair, make another post...
    Last edited by Columbian; 08-23-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auden View Post
    I think the problem is too many terrible players in Rift that are involved with PVP.

    As well as when they die in PVP, all they see on their screen is the warrior.. not the other 5 ranged classes that assisted him.

  12. #27
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Combustion View Post
    Whats that mean? Are they just locking posts that use logic and make absolute sense these days?
    there is no logic in your post. this is a qq post. I hit 50 a couple of weeks ago and did in fact get streamrolled, relentlessly, continuously, and then I said, "wait, let me retry this". So I spent some gold and restructured my warrior and changed my strategy. I hung back, I watched, I supported where I could. It might suck, but I also managed to hit rank 3 over a weekend.

    I took a break for a bout a week and played my alts, came back and finally hit rank 4. I live longer, and can actually help more, and yes, it takes awhile to get the prestige to level your ranks, but that's the price of reaching superstardom. We don't need tiers, we don't need people coming on the forums and crying about poor noobs who are going to get ruined in the WFs with their rank1 gear.

    Your problem, and all the people who use your argument, is that you always want to be #1. Get over it.

  13. #28
    Ascendant VirusDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryadic View Post
    This is an MMO. Not everyone will be happy with everything. Everyone is going to complain about something because it was not ideal for them. I'm not sure why you are surprised someone said that, VirusDancer.
    Where was I surprised somebody would say that? I did not question that aspect in my reply at all in a manner that would suggest that I would be surprised somebody would say that...
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

  14. #29
    Ascendant VirusDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbian View Post
    I could say ditto about your post, but sure, Im bored, lets do it.

    You are 100% correct I have no proof it would happen. What I do have is access to all the crying on the forums about how high ranked players come spawn camp teams of newbies, and thus making the game not enjoyable for them. Which would lead me to believe there are a majority of low ranked people queing up. I would go abit further, with that said, to believe due to the "mass of newbies being rolled" it would lead to increased que times for high ranked players who are also queing. See what I did thur?
    Really? I generally see the threads about Premades spawn camping PUGs. The usual High vs. Low Rank commentary is about being destroyed, being all but completely ineffective, and offering little more than free Favor/Prestige for the opposing team. So as to the rest of your assumptions based on evidence I have not seen, again - I'm not sure why you would say that...

    In regard to the separation of queues, you speak of increased queue times for the higher ranked players and how that would not be fair to them. It does not matter that it is not fair to the lower ranked players to you though...just what is not fair to the higher ranked players. You completely ignore any possibility in the least that Trion would attempt to reshuffle shards for the higher ranked queues to deal with the queue times.

    You just attempt to paint it as some ugly boogeyman in the hopes of stirring fear up amongst those players that might be on the fence... it is kind of sad.

    On to the next... The lower costs and increased gains failing.... Maybe in youre eyes, it failed, to others, it was a huge success. No longer did they need to save favor to afford R6 and above, but Trion, rolled it into a continualy upgrading system, where you never have to not buy lower ranked gear because of the massive cost to gain ratio during P1-P6. That was a huge.
    At first, we had R2-3-4 and R5-6 sets. They increased F/P gain...created R1-2 and R3-4 sets. On one hand, they screwed over certain players on how much Favor they had spent on items. They screwed some over with downranking and the need to purchase an item a second time. On the other hand, with the increased speed of ranking/gearing - they ended up with even more geared R6 players complaining they were bored with nothing to do. Yes, the short sighted fresh 50 might have enjoyed the changes...

    We had an additional F/P gain as well as the introduction of Escalation: Whitefall Steppes to speed up the process to R8. Again, the short sighted fresh 50 might enjoy that - but again, it is going to lead to R8s that are bored and complaining there is nothing to do. It is "endgame" - it should not be something that happens so quickly that you expect there to be an "endgame" at the end of it.

    As for the trade-in program - yes, once again the costs were reduced...once again screwing over the players that had purchased the gear. Not only that, but with the trade-in program - it penalizes those players that actually upgraded their gear along the way - they have useless gear now. They cannot vend it, they already have the upgrades, etc. All in all, pretty poorly thought out. Heck, add into that things like the Scion gear which are outside of the upgrade paths. Like something pulled out of a hat after a liquid lunch on a Friday...

    They also put in PvP rifts to bring back World PvP. Sure, they brought some problems, but, they did just want they were intended to do. Much like the bonus everything while grinding ranks, it works, but you have to actually grind, and not go whine when you lose matchs and blame it on "gear" and "OP classes"
    Yes, for those that needed the carrot - PvP Rifts brought about World PvP. It was always there if people wanted... but they did not really want World PvP. They wanted carrots for killing the enemy.

    This grind is easy, and compaired to other MMO's, doesnt even compair. All you have to do is play, Trion has already given you about everything they can without mailing you a free set of every R8 item soon as you ding 50.
    It is too easy. They keep making it easier. RIFT is going to be the Farmville of MMOs. Heck, with 1.5 they're even introducing a 1-2 player instance for HK. This is the most casual game I've ever seen. So yes, I would take issue with your suggestion to make it even easier.

    Stop the crying already, and once you prove a point of why people who put in the work for the best PvP gear out, should suffer because, heaven forbid, you are unhappy about getting rolled and dont think its fair, make another post...
    When you have already called it a matter of being a time sink...how can you call it work? It's a game. It should be fun. That fun for some should not come at the overwhelming expense of others. Happy medium and all that... which you have easily forgotten, though I still believe you never understood.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

  15. #30
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinals View Post
    The best thing you can do for yourself at R1 -4 is to find a dps of higher rank and follow that person around exclusively. Target what he targets, burn what he burns.

    You could do the same with healers. Just follow one around and target people who jump him / her. If you are protecting them they will heal you.

    Going around solo like Chick Norris when you have low valor will not net you any self satisfaction.
    We dont pay 15 bucks a month to make our own mini games out of poorly designed systems to avoid the issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts