+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Please, please, please create a rested bonus for favor/prestige gain

Rift Master

Default Please, please, please create a rested bonus for favor/prestige gain

I'm not going to appeal to any sort of rational or logical argument here. I could certainly attempt to create one. I don't even think it'd be very hard to do so. Instead, I'm going to skip the mental gymnastics and just blurt it out:

People who are already P8 sort of ruin PvP in this game.

I'm not some P2-3 who just started pvping with 1.4. I'm halfway to P7 playing very casually since the patch. I have plenty of gear, and I more than hold my own against even P8 players. That doesn't mean I can't stand back and look at the big picture, and that big picture shows grievous imbalance with the introduction of P8 gear.

I know it's become part of the MMO culture to shoehorn weeks or months worth of grind into 2-3 unhealthy weekends of near 24/7 play. I'm not gonna go China on the bit and start suggesting draconian measures to limit hardcore play, but I think Trion needs to address the issue created by MMO "front-runners" in a game so heavily gear-based as Rift.

(This assumes healthy, competitive, enjoyable pvp for most players is a priority, which it very well may not be.)

So what are the options?

You could implement a hard cap, but you know the 24/7 crowd will be railing against that as an assault on their freedom (to torture themselves).

You could go with severe diminishing returns, but that's roughly the same thing when you think about it in the proper context.

I favor the idea of rested bonuses for prestige and favor gains. This allows the hardcore players to grind out their ranks and gear in a few weeks while encouraging everyone else to play at a healthier clip. This would smooth gear progression considerably over time, and it would put a more balanced and competitive pvp environment within reach of people who don't spend 10 hours a day playing Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by handerhank View Post
    I'm not going to appeal to any sort of rational or logical argument here. I could certainly attempt to create one. I don't even think it'd be very hard to do so. Instead, I'm going to skip the mental gymnastics and just blurt it out:

People who are already P8 sort of ruin PvP in this game.

I'm not some P2-3 who just started pvping with 1.4. I'm halfway to P7 playing very casually since the patch. I have plenty of gear, and I more than hold my own against even P8 players. That doesn't mean I can't stand back and look at the big picture, and that big picture shows grievous imbalance with the introduction of P8 gear.

I know it's become part of the MMO culture to shoehorn weeks or months worth of grind into 2-3 unhealthy weekends of near 24/7 play. I'm not gonna go China on the bit and start suggesting draconian measures to limit hardcore play, but I think Trion needs to address the issue created by MMO "front-runners" in a game so heavily gear-based as Rift.

(This assumes healthy, competitive, enjoyable pvp for most players is a priority, which it very well may not be.)

So what are the options?

You could implement a hard cap, but you know the 24/7 crowd will be railing against that as an assault on their freedom (to torture themselves).

You could go with severe diminishing returns, but that's roughly the same thing when you think about it in the proper context.

I favor the idea of rested bonuses for prestige and favor gains. This allows the hardcore players to grind out their ranks and gear in a few weeks while encouraging everyone else to play at a healthier clip. This would smooth gear progression considerably over time, and it would put a more balanced and competitive pvp environment within reach of people who don't spend 10 hours a day playing Rift.

I get what you're saying and I agree with it conceptually for PvE.

The hardcore vs casual argument has been taking place for awhile now and that's the underlying basis of your request. You want to be able to get to R8 playing casually. Hit it a couple hours on Saturday afternoon and get roughly the same favor and prestige as someone that did a couple hours a night 6 nights that week.

The problem with that is that it would diminish the incentive to play and thus reduce the number of games that were going on at any particular time. What you're suggesting rewards not playing. You can watch TV, hit your Xbox, read a book and get the same benefit as someone that's busting their butt grinding.

PvP at 50 for many people that don't want to do the T1/T2/Raid gear grind is pretty much the only thing that gives them a sense of progression - in other words it's the only "XP" left in the game.

Anyway, I personally hope what you're suggesting doesn't happen because, from my perspective, it's another step toward making this game as bland and easy mode as many others have become.

Rift Master

Not to dismiss your response out of hand, but how so?

We have rested experience, yes? Does that completely trivialize the leveling treadmill? Of course not. If a hardcore player wants to ding 50 in a few days, he'll definitely still get there faster than someone who makes the whole trip on rested experience. There's just a built in incentive not to turn the grind into a 24/7 marathon session.

Think of it this way:

1. Player A is hardcore and fairly compulsive, so he's going to grind out P8 in the absolute shortest amount of time possible. He'll play roughly 12 hours a day, which means he'll accrue 12 hours worth of "rested bonus" (which amounts to, in this hypothetical, about 3 hour of bonus favor/prestige). Let's say he's earning 10k an hour for 9 hours and 20k an hour for 3, bringing his total daily gains to 150k.

2. Player B is casual by MMO standards, playing for around 6 hours a night. His 18 hours of "off time" generate 4.5 hours of bonus favor/prestige. In his 6 hours of nightly play, he'll generate 4.5x20k + 1.5x10k for a total of 105k favor.

3. Player C is even more casual, playing for 3 hours daily. His 21 hours of off-time translate into 5.25 hours of bonus favor. This means he'll always have that bonus, and his daily efforts will produce 60k favor.

In this hypothetical, the hardcore player will still cap out ahead of everyone else. He's earning 50% more favor than someone who plays half as often, and his hardcore reward will be the earliest possible access to the absolute best gear. But the casual B won't exactly be left in the dust, and C gets a very nice consistent boost just to stay somewhere in the neighborhood.

Plane Touched

The core of the problem is that the PvP is about grind and gear instead of skill.

How about this, to give incentive not just to participating, but to winning.

Each time a player wins a warfront or successfully closes a PvP rift, the amount of prestige/experience* and favor he gains from PvP is increased by 5%. There is no penalty for losing, you just don't get this buff. This buff can stack 20 times for a 100% bonus, and remains active for 1 hour**, refreshing upon each victory and obviously not counting any time spent not logged into the character.

The buff does not apply to max rank players, so they can't hoard marks and favor at an accelerated rate.

Something like this should provide an extra element of fun since there's something tangible riding on whether they win or not, and should hopefully result in fewer players giving up early on in matches.

* Prestige for level 50 characters, experience for lower levels.
    ** Adjustable. The idea is for it to be long enough to have a fair shot of keeping the streak alive, but not so much time that there's no sense of urgency in keeping it alive. I could see a fair argument for 2 hours.
    Last edited by Corian; 08-23-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Plane Touched

OP is looking for easy alternatives.

IE novice gameplay mode
    IE shortcuts
    IE you get the drill

What's funny is there are plenty others, hardcore and casual alike, that achieve their high ranks without coming to the forums qq for the grind to be reduced. They just did it.

To the post above stating PVP is about gear and not skill? Wrong. I used to enter WFs in pve gear simply because of the greater damage it would bring out until I reached rank 6. That's when I started wearing my valor gear.

Oh yeah, like Corian said, if you win, you get better rewards. So win more.

Not to mention you also get your bonus week next week, what more do you want.
    Last edited by kdps; 08-24-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Banned

For gods sakes its a p*ss easy game already - stop trying to make it any easier!

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by kdps View Post
    OP is looking for easy alternatives.

IE novice gameplay mode
    IE shortcuts
    IE you get the drill

What's funny is there are plenty others, hardcore and casual alike, that achieve their high ranks without coming to the forums qq for the grind to be reduced. They just did it.

To the post above stating PVP is about gear and not skill? Wrong. I used to enter WFs in pve gear simply because of the greater damage it would bring out until I reached rank 6. That's when I started wearing my valor gear.
    They did it when there were no R7-R8 or even R5-R6 geared people around. They did it in a gear-wise balanced environment. Try to go to a WF with ~200 valor and T1 gear to simulate an avarage R1-R2 and see for yourself how big the difference is compared to how it used to be 5 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    How about this, to give incentive not just to participating, but to winning.

Each time a player wins a warfront or successfully closes a PvP rift, the amount of prestige/experience* and favor he gains from PvP is increased by 5%. There is no penalty for losing, you just don't get this buff. This buff can stack 20 times for a 100% bonus, and remains active for 1 hour**, refreshing upon each victory and obviously not counting any time spent not logged into the character.

The buff does not apply to max rank players, so they can't hoard marks and favor at an accelerated rate.

Something like this should provide an extra element of fun since there's something tangible riding on whether they win or not, and should hopefully result in fewer players giving up early on in matches.

* Prestige for level 50 characters, experience for lower levels.
    ** Adjustable. The idea is for it to be long enough to have a fair shot of keeping the streak alive, but not so much time that there's no sense of urgency in keeping it alive. I could see a fair argument for 2 hours.
    Giving such a bonus to winning would only exacerbate the problem of lopsided faction PVP progression in most clusters. They won the match and already get more rewards, why increase that further?
    [Server] Faeblight
    [Retail] M_1=Chloromancer(D), M_2=Cleric(D), A=Rogue(D)
    [Beta 1-7] Tank (Reaver/Paladin)

Quote Originally Posted by hopp View Post
    They did it when there were no R7-R8 or even R5-R6 geared people around. They did it in a gear-wise balanced environment. Try to go to a WF with ~200 valor and T1 gear to simulate an avarage R1-R2 and see for yourself how big the difference is compared to how it used to be 5 months ago.
    The difference is huge. Recently (favorama weekend) I got another alt to 50 and started the PVP grind. I temporarily gave up at about 30k prestige into rank 2, due to frustration. Back to getting the main to R8...
    [Server] Faeblight

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by hopp View Post
    Reread my edited post. Stay with your group and focus off your teammate. You know, like you do in raid settings?

Plane Touched

dbl post 10cgar
    Last edited by kdps; 08-24-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Reread my edited post. Stay with your group and focus off your teammate. You know, like you do in raid settings?
    Staying with your group at low rank is fine and dandy, but once people find out you pop rather easy, they will find you again. Easy kills are free kills, eh?
    [Server] Faeblight

Plane Touched

You obviously did not read my entire post.

I didn't even start wearing valor gear until rank 6 because my pve gear simply gave me greater dps. There is a bit a skill involved in this game and I'm sorry if you didn't play any FPSers or anything alike that, which is probably why I at least see a lot of skill gaps in WFs.

Keyboard turners, slow reaction times, micromanaging, twitchers: these words actually bring some semblance of skill in this game although gear also factors in as well.

However, like I said, preR6 it is very possible to do well in WFs without valor gear (unless you're melee, then yeah, you'll need valor).

You're asking to make this game easier than it already is, and I'm sorry, that's just kind of whack.

Oh, btw, @R6+ there's still issues about game balancing.
    Last edited by kdps; 08-24-2011 at 07:38 AM.

You obviously did not read my entire post.

I didn't even start wearing valor gear until rank 6 because my pve gear simply gave me greater dps. There is a bit a skill involved in this game and I'm sorry if you didn't play any FPSers or anything alike that, which is probably why I at least see a lot of skill gaps in WFs.
    Hope you're not talking to me, because I have yet to reply to you, until that post.

That said, my main is rank 7, I am aware of the r6+ imbalances.

I personally feel that AoE is just so effective with high stats against low rank targets right now that grouping up is more of a risk at times than a benefit.
    [Server] Faeblight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast