+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Low Rank 50 PvP

Rift Disciple

Default Low Rank 50 PvP

So, it's time for me to be in the minority again.

I know you opened this, ready to flame another player for whining about being ineffective in PvP as a new 50.

I'm going to disappoint you.

I hit 50 over the weekend. As soon as I hit 50, I used the Favor I'd built up to acquire every piece of R1 gear that was available, and got my guildies to help me make sure I wouldn't be completely fail when I ran my first WFs.

I was in a ChloroLock spec up until 50... as soon as I hit 50, I bought a new role, and built up a Dom/Chloro spec, knowing that I was only going into Chloro for the extra HP, nothing to do with healing (though I will admit that the one burst heal I have is nice to keep me up a few more seconds now and then).

I go into my first WF, which was of course Escalation even though I queued for everything. And we won. Soundly. In fact, we won in about 5 and a half minutes.

Shocked, I sat back, and wondered what I had done wrong. I was expected to be completely stomped into the ground!!! Had I somehow miraculously bypassed the horrible R1 Warfront experience?

Was I effective? Hard to quantify.

Did I contribute to the win? Well... I like to think I helped a little with some Transmog and Mana Wrench on their blue bars, but I'm under no illusion that I'll be doing any noticeable damage. I also ran the stone once, which freed up folks of higher Rank to do the damage and heal.

I continued to WF all day... and thanks to Escalation, already hit R2 prestige and used Favor to buy every piece of gear I could, picked up a trinket, and now I'm wearing all purples, with a few blue Planar Essences and the blue trinket.

So I continue to WF, and I survive a little longer now. I'm still working my spec, rebuilding macros and doing whatever I can so that the folks of higher rank than me, can make sure we win. I've even gotten a few "Thanks" from folks because they've noticed that I'm actually sitting back and doing what I'm supposed to be doing, rather than trying to be DPS at R2.

I've seen a few of the higher rank folks ***** and moan... mainly at people who come in still wearing greens (which there's really NO excuse for). If you know you're going to PvP at fifty... start building favor early and be ready to get the gear.

No... we don't need brackets for lvl 50 PvP. Just need players who can suck it up, take their beatings, and get back up and charge back at them again, and again, and again. Working from the bottom of the tiers like this is actually, IMHO, kind of a good thing. I'm learning to support, rather than being DPS/Heals.
    "If you don't have enough respect for yourself and others to learn how to spell and use proper grammar, you're really not worth paying attention to."

- me

^^^

Pretty much my experience over the weekend too. Hit 50 in escalation. Bought RK 1 gear. Hit RK 2 and bought that gear too. I feel like I have some effect with my MM. Unless warriors are running rampant on the field and then we all die. I respect the heavier geared troops. Try to stay outta the way but not afraid to melee too if my team needs the few seconds I can give that way.
    Seastone (All Defiant; All the Time)
    [Seven Sisters] Guera, 70/100 Eth Rogue; Perlita, 70/100 Kelari Magician; Gitana 70 Eth Drugs/Outfits/Rings
    Carmelita 70/100 Eth Rogue Guns/Armor/Runes; Preciosa 70/76 Eth Magician; Chula 70/100 Kelari Rogue Survival

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Rheven View Post
    ^^^

Pretty much my experience over the weekend too. Hit 50 in escalation. Bought RK 1 gear. Hit RK 2 and bought that gear too. I feel like I have some effect with my MM. Unless warriors are running rampant on the field and then we all die. I respect the heavier geared troops. Try to stay outta the way but not afraid to melee too if my team needs the few seconds I can give that way.

Just for the record... I hate MM

Seems like every time I hit Split... suddely floating up my screen I saw

Swift Shot
    Swift Shot
    Swift Shot
    Swift Shot
    Swift Shot

Rapid Fire

You will respawn in .......

So I took Split Personality out of my macros...
    "If you don't have enough respect for yourself and others to learn how to spell and use proper grammar, you're really not worth paying attention to."

- me

Plane Touched

So basically your high rank team held your hand this weekend against low ranked teams?

come back in a couple weeks when you're singing a different tune.
    Surah - Lvl 50/P4/T2 Kelari Mage - Molinar
    Surax - Lvl 50 Bahmi Warrior - Molinar

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Akia View Post
    So basically your high rank team held your hand this weekend against low ranked teams?

I described 1 WF.....

I was in others where it was the opposite, and we were forced back to our base, and we were basically just hoping they'd cap instead of trying to farm.

Was it frustrating? Sure... but I just queued again and thought "Well, maybe this time it'll be our turn."

Then other games, It got to 2-2, and there was serious fighting and great work by rogues on both sides to steal the stones, and some we lost, some we won.

Basically... it was pretty much the same experience as every other bracket I've been in since 10th level. Some WFs we won soundly, some we lost soundly, and others were even fights.

I should also note that they were all PUGs.

I'm just not narrow minded enough to think I can run out there 1v1 and expect to survive. I try not to be a wasted slot in the raid by supporting my team as best I can, and that's all I can do. If people would just grasp that concept, and not expect to always top the charts, and maybe try to work WITH the team, instead of being a Rambo, the game would be a better place.

A low rank team member may not be able to win it for the team... but they can probably help lose it for the team.

- me

Quote Originally Posted by Akia View Post

Hey if thats what it takes to keep new people entering the warfronts im all for it..

However point to note is op is playing a support class so its easy to stand back and run support with little trouncing think how much harder it would be had you been a fresh 50 warrior in t1 armour!!

Still Im glad pvp experiance was not ruined.
    Sureen - Conspiracy

A post spoken from the Heart contains passion, A post spoken from the head leads to intelligent debate,
    but since the majority of what I read is full of crap I guess most talk out of thier Arse

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mlaar View Post
    Hey if thats what it takes to keep new people entering the warfronts im all for it..

However point to note is op is playing a support class so its easy to stand back and run support with little trouncing think how much harder it would be had you been a fresh 50 warrior in t1 armour!!

Still Im glad pvp experiance was not ruined.

LOL.. yea, I know.. my wife is a Warrior, and was right there with me.

She decided that she would be of best use keeping an eye on our clerics, and harrassing anyone who started in on them. She also got right in there and attacked with the group sometimes when things were under control for us.

Sure.. she got stomped. Of course she's not doing tons of damage. But she knew what to expect going in, and is just doing whatever she can to help the team. Whether it's going after their healers to interrupt them as much as possible, or protecting ours.

I guess it's all about mindset and attitude. We're older than most players, and we're career professionals. Our work environments are both high stress and high profile, so getting beat up in a game ranks pretty low on the list of things that can cause us to be outraged. We play 3 different games, so if we start to not have fun in one, we go to another one. Here, when we're getting squashed repeatedly, instead of raging over how it's unfair, it's more like "Holy hell!!! I can't wait until I can do that to someone! Where's my log so I can see what they did?"

- me

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Grisheub View Post
    LOL.. yea, I know.. my wife is a Warrior, and was right there with me.

She decided that she would be of best use keeping an eye on our clerics, and harrassing anyone who started in on them. She also got right in there and attacked with the group sometimes when things were under control for us.

Sure.. she got stomped. Of course she's not doing tons of damage. But she knew what to expect going in, and is just doing whatever she can to help the team. Whether it's going after their healers to interrupt them as much as possible, or protecting ours.

I guess it's all about mindset and attitude. We're older than most players, and we're career professionals. Our work environments are both high stress and high profile, so getting beat up in a game ranks pretty low on the list of things that can cause us to be outraged. We play 3 different games, so if we start to not have fun in one, we go to another one. Here, when we're getting squashed repeatedly, instead of raging over how it's unfair, it's more like "Holy hell!!! I can't wait until I can do that to someone! Where's my log so I can see what they did?"
    So you don't mind being farmed repeatedly over and over again. If you think thats fun, good for you, I do find it funny though that you think you are cool becuase you like being farmed.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ultraplop View Post
    So you don't mind being farmed repeatedly over and over again. If you think thats fun, good for you, I do find it funny though that you think you are cool becuase you like being farmed.

If you're getting "farmed repeatedly over and over again" then maybe the problem isn't the game.

- me

So, it's time for me to be in the minority again.

I know you opened this, ready to flame another player for whining about being ineffective in PvP as a new 50.

I'm going to disappoint you.

I hit 50 over the weekend. As soon as I hit 50, I used the Favor I'd built up to acquire every piece of R1 gear that was available, and got my guildies to help me make sure I wouldn't be completely fail when I ran my first WFs.

I was in a ChloroLock spec up until 50... as soon as I hit 50, I bought a new role, and built up a Dom/Chloro spec, knowing that I was only going into Chloro for the extra HP, nothing to do with healing (though I will admit that the one burst heal I have is nice to keep me up a few more seconds now and then).

I go into my first WF, which was of course Escalation even though I queued for everything. And we won. Soundly. In fact, we won in about 5 and a half minutes.

Shocked, I sat back, and wondered what I had done wrong. I was expected to be completely stomped into the ground!!! Had I somehow miraculously bypassed the horrible R1 Warfront experience?

Was I effective? Hard to quantify.

Did I contribute to the win? Well... I like to think I helped a little with some Transmog and Mana Wrench on their blue bars, but I'm under no illusion that I'll be doing any noticeable damage. I also ran the stone once, which freed up folks of higher Rank to do the damage and heal.

I continued to WF all day... and thanks to Escalation, already hit R2 prestige and used Favor to buy every piece of gear I could, picked up a trinket, and now I'm wearing all purples, with a few blue Planar Essences and the blue trinket.

So I continue to WF, and I survive a little longer now. I'm still working my spec, rebuilding macros and doing whatever I can so that the folks of higher rank than me, can make sure we win. I've even gotten a few "Thanks" from folks because they've noticed that I'm actually sitting back and doing what I'm supposed to be doing, rather than trying to be DPS at R2.

I've seen a few of the higher rank folks ***** and moan... mainly at people who come in still wearing greens (which there's really NO excuse for). If you know you're going to PvP at fifty... start building favor early and be ready to get the gear.

No... we don't need brackets for lvl 50 PvP. Just need players who can suck it up, take their beatings, and get back up and charge back at them again, and again, and again. Working from the bottom of the tiers like this is actually, IMHO, kind of a good thing. I'm learning to support, rather than being DPS/Heals.
    How did Black Garden treat you ? I think this is the worst WF for low rank PVP. Small confined area with nowhere to hide. Well you can be a ****** and stay on top of the hill if you wish and help your team lose.

Yes people concentrate on the fang, that is the goal after all, but once they realize that you are squishy, they will target you unmercifully and healers will not waste their heals on you. Not much fun at all.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas79 View Post
    How did Black Garden treat you ? I think this is the worst WF for low rank PVP. Small confined area with nowhere to hide. Well you can be a ****** and stay on top of the hill if you wish and help your team lose.

Yes people concentrate on the fang, that is the goal after all, but once they realize that you are squishy, they will target you unmercifully and healers will not waste their heals on you. Not much fun at all.

I actually only got 2 Black Gardens in all the WFs I had after I hit 50. I figure majority were queuing for Escalation for the bonus, so the queue there filled and triggered faster. Of those two, one was pretty much over by the time I got there.

The one I did from the beginning wasn't a ton of fun, I admit. Basically I used the same tactic... found their healer and started draining mana and all the other fun things Doms do. At which point I guess their healer said "Get that idiot off of me", which the warriors proceeded to do quite handily.

Unfortunately the team was full of quitters, and by the time the game was half way over, they pretty much gave up. 4 of the 10 just sat at the spawn point or just stood on the hill hoping some brain-dead guardian would come up alone and stand there not defending themself so they could get a kill when we were only down by 200, and there's not much 6 can do against 10, so it just got uglier.

Those are the times I wish I could flag and kill the people from my own faction. I'd rather lose fighting than act like a 5 year old who isn't getting their way yelling profanity at them, and telling the rest of the team how much they suck.

Of course, I also have a solution for that. I don't queue for Black Garden right now. It's never been my favorite anyway.
    Last edited by Grisheub; 08-22-2011 at 09:35 AM.

- me

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas79 View Post

I disagree. As a low rank mage, my most effective option is to run support. Players in Black Garden tend to clump well. The large the map, the harder it has been for me to find a group to run support with. Sure I get targeted, but I get targeted in the other maps too. At least if there is a group to support, I can do something.

A lot of PuGs in the large maps seem to end up scattered all over the place (unless they're bunched at the spawn point in WF, which isn't any more useful).
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

A low rank team member may not be able to win it for the team... but they can probably help lose it for the team.
    So very very true.

I tend to default to an Inquisicar spec on my cleric for similar reasons, I don't have much real support as a Cleric - no real CC and the like. But I have the best AoE Heal in our arsenal, the Justicar talents that allow me to survive another hit or two while I frantically try to eek out just one more of those heals, and the oh so very useful Purge and Impede macro that pisses off runners. Depending on need I also commonly change to a Reinforce the Flock role (Protect the Flock plus Reinforce plus spammable instant cast aoe heal = 11% damage reduction for all!).

In the 40s bracket, I rolled Shaman with Warden for self hot and aoe hot, but mostly killed people. I can't do that as a low rank - that's the higher ranks job. I am there to support them, until I can be one of them. My groups usually have plenty of people with healer tags beside them, and often a bard, too, so I look forward to the day when I can default my shaman pvp spec - but my inquisicar and Reinforce builds aren't going away, just because I can dps again.
    "You're right. Technically he has the right to cry about it. And I have the right to mock him for crying about something stupid." ~Bridgeburner
    "Try to hate other people less, you might enjoy life more." ~Tenet

73 Likes , 1 Infraction, Liked 228 posts, and counting...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    I disagree. As a low rank mage, my most effective option is to run support. Players in Black Garden tend to clump well. The large the map, the harder it has been for me to find a group to run support with. Sure I get targeted, but I get targeted in the other maps too. At least if there is a group to support, I can do something.

A lot of PuGs in the large maps seem to end up scattered all over the place (unless they're bunched at the spawn point in WF, which isn't any more useful).

I think in Escalation, it's a great time to be a low rank mage. Nice focused combat area. Until the stealing starts you know where everyone will be.

Codex also wasn't bad, because it seemed the groups I got actually understood the concept of protecting the squishy, and fighting at the flag (having a decent team makes ALL the difference, no debate there).

I only did 1 Port Scion, and it was half way done when I got there. I was also a total n00b and didn't research it first. So I basically just found a group, and ran around with them doing what I do until I got the hang of it, which only took about 2 minutes.

Whitefall normal will probably be a pain in the *** because of how people scatter so much after the initial push. I may actually resort to opening up my chat window again and asking for guidance on what they want me to do other than not queue in the first place. Probably I'll find myself staying back with our carrier while the harder edged folks go get ours back.

- me

thanks for the very good post. hopefully people will read it not be discouraged as a new 50.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast