+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The main problems with the PvP

Soulwalker

Default The main problems with the PvP

Hi

I have to decide to make a post about what I think is the main problems with the pvp in this game and what can be done about it. Just wanna start by telling that I'm a lvl 50 mage and have been so for 2 - 3 weeks, and that I before this game played Warhammer for about 2 years. A game which is based on PvP.

Lets move on to the first problem, population balance. Now this is something that a lot of servers are affected by currently. For example, on my current server I'd estimated that there's about 4 - 5 (it's probably less) defiants on each guardian. The problem with this is mainly focused to the PvP daily quests and the PvP rifts. What happen is that these two mentioned things becomes almost impossible to do when you are on the undersized side. This leads to that the dominant side earn more prestige and get stronger faster, making it even worse. This last mentioned thing, "power difference" is something I'll talk about later. And when people can't do their daily quest they'll do two things (often), quit or start doing PvE. This leads to no open field combat, making it boring for both sides.

Possible solutions to this is first, add a server bonus for the undersized side which increases xp, favor and prestige gain.
    This will increase the chance that new players start on the losing side instead of the dominant one and give players a reason to transfer to that server.

Secondly, add a buff that is giving to the side which lesser number out in the field, in these following zones: Stillmoor, Iron pine peak and Shimmersand. That buff increases prestige and favor gain based on the amount of players out in the field. For example, if there is 20 defiants and 40 guardians, then the defiants will get a buff increasing their favor and prestige gain by 100%. If it would have been 60 guardians the buff would have been 200%. The bonus will cap at 300%.
    This will give players a reason to go out in the field despite being outnumbered and help with getting gear. (Yes this is the famous AAO buff from Warhammer)

Third, remove character transfer to the dominant side on servers with imbalanced population. This won't of course apply if the balance is just of by a a few percentage.

Now lets talk about power difference between different prestige ranked players. As you all know, a fight between an P8 player and an P1 player is probably gonna end in just one way, the P8 winning and that big. However this is just as it should be, a player that's spend countless hours doing PvP versus a guy whom just hit 50, should and must have a big advantage in PvP. The real problem is that these two keeps on getting in combat with each other.

To fix this isn't to Nerf high ranked gear or buff low ranked gear, what you must do is to separate these two so they never (well at least rarely) meet.

First lets talk about warfronts, What I suggest doing is that you make three brackets. First bracket is P1 - P3, second is P4 - P6 and the last one is P7 - P8. So when you do warfronts you'll only end up with players from your bracket. Of course if you want to que with other brackets you can do so but only if it's a bracket above you, meaning a P4 ranked player can only que with his and the P7 - P8 bracket.
    A few of you probably wonder what to do with groups queuing with players from different brackets. You simply que in the bracket with the group average prestige rank(rounded upwards).

Lets also talk about PvP daily quests. I suggest doing a similar system as the one with the warfronts, a bracket system. You have the same brackets as mentioned before. Each bracket will have its own zone to do their daily quest in. For example, bracket 1 do their dailies in Shimmersand, bracket 2 do their dailies in Iron pine peak and bracket 3 do their dailies in Stilmoor. This will not only help with the power difference but also help with spreading out the players, making it less zergy.
    Another question is if you should have static zones for each bracket, meaning that each bracket will have its zone when it comes to pvp daily quests. This will however make it boring always doing the dailies in the same zone. So if you add a rotation with the zones you must also implement as system that automatically abandon the dailies if you haven't completed them during the day. This will help with a P6 player doing his dailies the day after in the zone where the P1 - P3 are doing their dailies.

While we're talking about PvP dailies I would also like to talk about changing them into becoming more of PvP quests instead of a PvE quests. I don't consider killing X amount of mobs and gather X amount of herbs being a PvP quest. I rather see quests like, activate this beacon and protect it for X amount of minutes. While the other side gets the quest to interrupt and destroy the beacon.

Almost done, bear with me

Last, lets talk about class balancing. Now this is a problem that all games has in the beginning and to be honest this is something that is almost impossible to "fix". Of course I don't mean that you shouldn't do something about, just that it is really hard. This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQRSGwB6VQ is just great when it comes to the balance discussion. I really suggest watching it.

There are a few things I would like to be changed though, concerning different classes and roles.
    First off, AoE damage. This is something that one must be very careful with when it comes to PvP. I think that currently there a few AoE abilities that must be toned down when it comes to damage. You must also look at the AoE channeling abilities, these shouldn't be able to stack, instead only the highest hitting should do damage.

I also want to mention one of the most overpowered skill I've ever seen in a game, at least concerning PvP. It is the champions skill "Lingering Wounds", this skill is way too strong. Those who don't know what it does I can say that it's a passive skill that gives the warrior 100% chance on each crit to apply a 50% incoming healing debuff. It doesn't require a GCD, it can't be cleansed, long duration and can be applied to several targets at once.
    This must be changed so it has a cool down and that it can be cleansed.

This is all i wanted to talk about today, there are still some things I think should be changed but I think it's already enough for this post. Please discuss and share your opinions. Do remember that this is what I see as problems and what I think can be done about them. If you don't agree, please write what you think and what you want to be done about it, instead of flaming me.
    Thank you all for reading.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmfog View Post
    Secondly, add a buff that is giving to the side which lesser number out in the field, in these following zones: Stillmoor, Iron pine peak and Shimmersand. That buff increases prestige and favor gain based on the amount of players out in the field. For example, if there is 20 defiants and 40 guardians, then the defiants will get a buff increasing their favor and prestige gain by 100%. If it would have been 60 guardians the buff would have been 200%. The bonus will cap at 300%.
    This will give players a reason to go out in the field despite being outnumbered and help with getting gear. (Yes this is the famous AAO buff from Warhammer)
    still reading but would like to point out that this will not work - say its 40 guardians and 1 defiant, if the defiant is an assassin he'd be gaining an INSANE ammount of prestige even though its 1 kill every 2 mins (or more if he doesn't waste his slip away)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Arrinx View Post
    still reading but would like to point out that this will not work - say its 40 guardians and 1 defiant, if the defiant is an assassin he'd be gaining an INSANE ammount of prestige even though its 1 kill every 2 mins (or more if he doesn't waste his slip away)
    Well I don't know if you might missed that I point out that the buff caps at 300%, meaning you can "only" get 4 times the normal prestige and favor despite being 40 guardians and 1 defiant. Otherwise it wouldn't work no

+ Reply to Thread