+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP Gear Nerf Suggestion

Telaran

Default PvP Gear Nerf Suggestion

After reading over the posts here, and reading over a lot of the ideas, concerns, gripes. It dawned on me.

We have 8 prestige ranks, each rewarding the players for there accomplishments. As an avid PvP'er, I feel this is justifiable and necessary. However, the barrier to entry for PvP is to great. We are halfway through the first year of Rift's release and PvP gear is proving to be problematic.

How so? Well look at the gear, right now gear allows players to stomp other players without any real skill. This is due to the bonuses granted by the gear. Characters below R6 have little no chance to survive and attack by an R6, further R8 characters just crush anything that moves, including other R8s. This drives new players from running warfronts.

Also players in R7 and R8 are not receiving any added benefit from valor with their rank increases. This shouldn't be the case. We are only a half year through the game and we are hitting caps? This should have never happened, what will PvP gear look like in a year or year and a half?

The benefits from PvP should be reduced between each rank, yes a nerf. This would allow skilled players to overcome better geared players.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Raudim View Post
    After reading over the posts here, and reading over a lot of the ideas, concerns, gripes. It dawned on me.

We have 8 prestige ranks, each rewarding the players for there accomplishments. As an avid PvP'er, I feel this is justifiable and necessary. However, the barrier to entry for PvP is to great. We are halfway through the first year of Rift's release and PvP gear is proving to be problematic.

How so? Well look at the gear, right now gear allows players to stomp other players without any real skill. This is due to the bonuses granted by the gear. Characters below R6 have little no chance to survive and attack by an R6, further R8 characters just crush anything that moves, including other R8s. This drives new players from running warfronts.

Also players in R7 and R8 are not receiving any added benefit from valor with their rank increases. This shouldn't be the case. We are only a half year through the game and we are hitting caps? This should have never happened, what will PvP gear look like in a year or year and a half?

The benefits from PvP should be reduced between each rank, yes a nerf. This would allow skilled players to overcome better geared players.
    The problem is not the gear but the damage.

If you want a game to be skill based and rely on someones ability to out think and out play the opponent.

When a game is based on skill a lesser geared character can kill a well geared player through proper use of cooldowns, abilities and class knowledge. Right now people die in a stun vs certain classes. If break free is on cooldown then you lose? Where is the skill in that?

I don't think anyone will argue that chess takes skill and the more skilled beat the less skilled but look how the games play out. Games are not won in minutes(speed chess aside) because to kill a skilled player it takes smarts and the longer a game plays out the more opportunities a person has to make a mistake which can cost them.

The pace of PvP as it stands even in 1000+ valor is too fast. TOO much damage is flying around and healthpools are too low to combat it even with full PvP valor gear. Nerfing pvp gear will only allow PvE players to dominate which shouldn't be the case. Only when the damage is toned down will the game become more balanced(along with class changes ect).

Trion has screwed itself.

It can't make PvP more balanced without a complete gear/valor overhaul to make the progression through ranks much, much smaller. (which is what is obviously needed). Of course that affects all their endgame PvE content.

So the problem is, in effect, too big for them.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Delillo View Post
    Trion has screwed itself.

It can't make PvP more balanced without a complete gear/valor overhaul to make the progression through ranks much, much smaller. (which is what is obviously needed). Of course that affects all their endgame PvE content.

So the problem is, in effect, too big for them.
    Nah. It's their game and they can do anything they want with it. The issue at hand is probably going to be solved with an expansion. That should give every class a skill/gear/talent/valor reset and turn things around. Look at WoW, it took them YEARS to get PvP at a balanced level and yet everyone expects a game to be PERFECT like WoW is now and it's not even a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Raitoken View Post
    ... PERFECT like WoW is now ....

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyac View Post
    Oh so sue me. Yes I know its not perfect but out of all the games I played the PvP system does reflect a good level of skill.

High end arena is what I'm referring to.

No game is perfect though but wow is coming closer then most in terms of pvp balance.

Maybe then.. even if it is just for the time being.. they should pair ranks 1-4 then 5-8s?
    being lower ranked myself, i don't have much fun in warfronts when a r8 stomps me.
    its not the fact that i failed.. its more of a fact that i have let my team members down and are feeding kills.
    I end up just sitting in the background fearing people who come cose to my team... whipee

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Raudim View Post

You just don't get it. They have to adjust the stats of the pvp gear to keep it inline with the PvE gear that is available so that PvE gear isn't the best gear in every slot for pvp. They can't simply hand out the gear because it can be used for PvE and PvEers would cry even more about "welfare epics".

+ Reply to Thread