+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Corian

Thread: The constant demand for change

Default The constant demand for change

The fact is that every class has its weakness and players will always cry for nerfs to their nemesis class.. Guess what? That's what happens in MMO's.... rogues stun locking clerics kill them, mages nuking warriors from afar kill them... and no matter what your player skill, sometimes there's nothing you can do about it.

Be careful players in your constant demands for nerfs and modification to any skill that slightly displeases you once in a wf, that you dont force the coders into a corner where they nerf everything to the point only DD matters and every match becomes a dumbed down nuke fight where only the fastest spammer of their highest DPS ability can win.

To me this game is fairly balanced and its a clear case of "if its not broken dont fix it" Sure, a couple of the specs are over powered compared to some of the others.... like thats in any way possible to prevent without normalising every single spec.

Good work Trion, keep it up! Dont listen to the constant QQ of some in the community who seem to want you to destroy the great pvp environment you have created. They will whine after you hand them everything on a plate because the plate isnt big enough, then moan that you've dumbed down the game and quit... just ignore them.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Everstar View Post
    The fact is that every class has its weakness and players will always cry for nerfs to their nemesis class.. Guess what? That's what happens in MMO's.... rogues stun locking mages kill them, mages nuking warriors from afar get charged and killed by them... Mages get outhealed by the clerics who are killing them... and no matter what your player skill, sometimes there's nothing you can do about it.
    Fixed it.
    WARNING: Contents may be Irish.
    <Bountiful> on Faeblight, 50 Mage Bahmi
    taking some time off in a galaxy far, far away.
    We're tiny but mighty! RAWR!

rogues stun locking clerics kill them
    There is no such thing as stun lock.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Well, right now direct damage is the thing being nerfed, and we're already starting to see control become more useful.

Then control is going to be nerfed, completely borking the metagame and putting healing on top.

Then healing's going to be nerfed. Repeat until we've just got this massive cluster**** of PvP-specific nerfs across the board--which probably means that the balance was fine to begin with.

So my thing right now is that Trion needs to undo the instant healing nerfs, and undo the previous nerfs to skills like fulminate, titan's strike, whatever beastmaster had that got it nerfed, paragon of course, even going all the way back to the beta nerfs for classes like ranger (marksman was already addressed), and re-evaluate the original vision for the game now that the competitive players for the most part are geared.

Then look at the classes that are underperforming or underutilized in PvP, and buff them for PvP only. Right off the bat I can think of archon and its debuffs that were nerfed for PvE. These debuffs should be made stronger for PvP because nerfing 5% of a player's damage or whatever isn't jack, unlike on raid bosses. Purifier might be worth looking at. Tanking or support classes such as warlord and paladin are probably worth a look in that regard. I mean, it'd be better to bring those classes up to the level of the more successful ones, instead of bringing everything down to their level of relative uselessness.

I think they'll find that we're in a pretty good spot without all that extra headache.
    Last edited by Corian; 08-21-2011 at 12:27 PM.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Deleting rogues would remove 80% of garbage from the Rift community. Problem as well as resolved imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    Well, right now direct damage is the thing being nerfed, and we're already starting to see control become more useful.

Then control is going to be nerfed, completely borking the metagame and putting healing on top.

Then healing's going to be nerfed. Repeat until we've just got this massive cluster**** of PvP-specific nerfs across the board--which probably means that the balance was fine to begin with.

So my thing right now is that Trion needs to undo the instant healing nerfs, and undo the previous nerfs to skills like fulminate, titan's strike, whatever beastmaster had that got it nerfed, paragon of course, even going all the way back to the beta nerfs for classes like ranger (marksman was already addressed), and re-evaluate the original vision for the game now that the competitive players for the most part are geared.

Then look at the classes that are underperforming or underutilized in PvP, and buff them for PvP only. Right off the bat I can think of archon and its debuffs that were nerfed for PvE. These debuffs should be made stronger for PvP because nerfing 5% of a player's damage or whatever isn't jack, unlike on raid bosses. Purifier might be worth looking at. Tanking or support classes such as warlord and paladin are probably worth a look in that regard. I mean, it'd be better to bring those classes up to the level of the more successful ones, instead of bringing everything down to their level of relative uselessness.

I think they'll find that we're in a pretty good spot without all that extra headache.
    So...Warriors and Mages 1 hitting everyone, while Clerics are unkillable and still do a substantial amount of damage. That will be a fun day for a Rogue.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Timukas View Post
    Deleting rogues would remove 80% of garbage from the Rift community. Problem as well as resolved imho.
    Agreed. Keep getting in warfronts on the sunrest cluster where guardians have 15 rogues. Its funny seeing 15 guys with specced for dps and not one of them can make it into the top 10 damage done per match. Rogues are seriously terrible in this game and should just be removed and people given a voucher which allows them to switch to cleric\warrior\mage. Although might as well delete clerics too and let everybody just play a warrior\mage since those are the only two worth playing anyhow.

The fact is that every class has its weakness and players will always cry for nerfs to their nemesis class.. Guess what? That's what happens in MMO's.... rogues stun locking clerics kill them, mages nuking warriors from afar kill them... and no matter what your player skill, sometimes there's nothing you can do about it.
    Actually, that is not what happens in MMOs. That's what happens with Paper-Rock-Scissors. Given that there are four Callings with nine Souls per Calling, it makes little sense to apply such a blanket PRS mentality to the game.

Be careful players in your constant demands for nerfs and modification to any skill that slightly displeases you once in a wf, that you dont force the coders into a corner where they nerf everything to the point only DD matters and every match becomes a dumbed down nuke fight where only the fastest spammer of their highest DPS ability can win.
    Oddly enough, that sounds like a complaint about Warriors...just saying.

To me this game is fairly balanced and its a clear case of "if its not broken dont fix it" Sure, a couple of the specs are over powered compared to some of the others.... like thats in any way possible to prevent without normalising every single spec.
    To be honest, if they were to fix the broken items - we would be able to better judge where things stand. The simple fact of it though, is there simply is that much that is broken that it really is all but impossible to tell at this point. I'm not talking balance here. I'm talking about actual broken elements of the game.

Good work Trion, keep it up! Dont listen to the constant QQ of some in the community who seem to want you to destroy the great pvp environment you have created. They will whine after you hand them everything on a plate because the plate isnt big enough, then moan that you've dumbed down the game and quit... just ignore them.
    All things considered, Trion would never have gotten the VC funding for the game if they had taken your kind of advice...
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Mages kill warriors?

+ Reply to Thread