Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: You're letting cheaters keep their gear, prestige, rep and favor

Rift Chaser

Default You're letting cheaters keep their gear, prestige, rep and favor

After the big PvP rift blow-up, I saw several known cheaters on my server still walking around in their shiny new gear that took them two nights to get.

Since I'm still more than 100k away from R7 and I'm doing it the old-fashioned, sucker way, I reported two of them, the two organizers of Patch weekend's cooperative cheating on my server.

Last night, one of them shows up to a PvP rift. He was still wearing his ill-gotten gear. He was bragging that he was 200 rep away from max rep with Order of the Eye. He had a synergy crystal, which I don't have, he had all the great PvP planars, the PvP boot enchants, and all the gear he got by cheating.

But wait...this is not someone who happened by a group of cheaters at a PvP rift. This was a person who ORGANIZED the cheating and said, in the game world, "I am on vent with the Defiants right now." This is a person who cheated without ambiguity, who actively encouraged others to cheat, and who got rank, favor, prestige, gear and rep by cheating.

This is a person who made it impossible for the rest of us to play PvP rifts properly in an entire zone for a weekend, because the cooperating Guardians and Defiants were killing anyone who didn't play by their rules and cheat along with them. ("This person is messing it up and killing our rezzer...kill him.."

And you let him keep everything.

What kills me is that the rest of us, those who walked away from the cheaters because we knew it wasn't right, are still getting screwed because we are leveling up the slow, grinding way while we're surrounded in WFs and PvP rifts by all the new R8s in their shiny, free gear.

What also kills me is that you may very likely delete my post and prevent me from expressing genuine dissatisfaction, while you allow these players to continue on with impunity.

What are we supposed to take away from this? That cheating is fine and there are no consequences? That we are suckers for playing by the rules? I am not the type of person who threatens to cancel my account, but I do think this is enormously demoralizing, frustrating, and has been a huge blow to PvP and the people who genuinely enjoy PvP for what it is.

If several thousand people exploited a bug tonight and got every drop in Hammerknell by cheating, would you let them keep that gear and tell everyone else they have to spend weeks or months learning boss fights and doing it the legitimate way?

Rift Master

Amen to this post.
    Last edited by Walsingham; 08-16-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Calling for Petition

-deleted for being completely wrong-

Something needs to be done about this. Trion will lose more customers by letting the cheaters keep their gear than by setting them back.
    Last edited by AngelOfTheGuardians; 08-16-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Don't get stuck in the hay.

Shadowlander

*sigh* At some point people will have to realize that being one of the good guys sucks. You play fair because it's the right thing to do, not because it's the most advantageous. Can we please stop whining about this?

Telaran

Yes, this is a huge problem on bloodiron as well.

So far, nothing has been done about the people who used the exploit.

Probably, nothing will be done either.

All they`ve done so far is preventing it from happening any more with the change to dropped stones.

So the rest of us is getting stuck with the ****ty end of the stick, gg trion, thanks for letting people know its perfectly fine to use exploits for as long as they are available with no negative repercussions whatsoever.

In the end, only the people who chose not to use the exploit gets punished by being steamrolled by the rank 8-geared cheaters.

Next time something exploitable emerges, every single player on any server better jump on the exploit bandwagon or suffer the consequences.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyRussian View Post
    *sigh* At some point people will have to realize that being one of the good guys sucks. You play fair because it's the right thing to do, not because it's the most advantageous. Can we please stop whining about this?
    But we also have a right to expect basic respect and customer service from a company whose reps tell us, "We're taking this very seriously."

Just because the PvP community is smaller doesn't make it right. If thousands of people exploited Hammerknell tonight and got full BiS by cheating, do you think Trion would shy away from communicating with the massive PvE player base and hope it just all blows over?

Even if they're sitting in an office meeting, discussing ways to fix the issue, they should communicate with the PvP playerbase beyond a "We're looking into it" from almost two weeks ago. A little communication can go along way toward building good will, and save the company from the perception that they honestly don't give a $#!& about widespread cheating in their game world.

I know huge swaths of the player population are former WoW subscribers who love a good Blizzard-bashing, but one thing to be said for Blizzard is that they have a reputation for cracking down on stuff like this, and coming down hard on cheaters. Trion has a long way to go before we have that kind of faith in them.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSeoul View Post

Even if they're sitting in an office meeting, discussing ways to fix the issue, they should communicate with the PvP playerbase beyond a "We're looking into it" from almost two weeks ago. A little communication can go along way toward building good will, and save the company from the perception that they honestly don't give a $#!& about widespread cheating in their game world.
    Thats the BIGGEST problem, no one communicates as to what goes on in the Ivory Tower of Trion development...

Already have said in other threads they can figure it out but sometimes it can take a while. As I said, i've seen some exploits take days to have result taken. Sometimes they discuss to what extent the action taken will be while checking logs. They also usually don't share this stuff beyond saying that they will take action against people they find exploiting. At most they might say they found several people using it through logs and action was taken. They won't detail you the action taken against people i'd wager. Plus by this time there are a lot of legitimate people at r8 anyway, could be a lot of crying wolf going on. I also think if you put in serious time you could have done it legitimately before this blew up.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AngelOfTheGuardians View Post
    -deleted for being completely wrong-

Something needs to be done about this. Trion will lose more customers by letting the cheaters keep their gear than by setting them back.
    It's more than just losing customers.
    When a game doesn't punish ( or at least, roll back ) exploiters, it's a HUGE invatition to find every single exploit in the game and abuse it 24/7 until trion fixes it, because heh, there will not be any consequences anwyay, and better abuse it before it's fixed.

AoC made that mistake many times, with people exploiting dungeon's boss for AA expe.

Hopefully Trion will be smarter.

Keep bumping this up guys, think about the game you want to play in.

Telaran

Already stopped playing (long before my headstart sub runs out in Oct....like many others who will be leaving). Not coming back. This game had no real PvP before and if/when they fix this exploit, it still won't. This "lack of response" spoke volumes on Trion's part. Final nail for me. Get out while the gettin' is good. On to the next one...

Shadowlander

What makes it even worse is the fact that R8 is so OP compared to even R6 that anyone who doesn't have it, pretty much is a gnat on a wall for the R8. I wish trion would realize that the whole prestige rank thing isn't going to work in the long run and come up with a solution to fix it. Shoot, even PVE got some sort of work around to be able to get geared up for HK. They need to find a solution that doesn't involve hours of mindless grinding getting stomped in a WF to get to R8.

What they need to do is just do shifting gear or something. Fine, you have a new prestige rank, but then the current R1-2 gear goes away and 3-4 takes its place. At least that would give people just starting out a chance. Cause if they do 9-10, can you imagine what someone will be like against a R1. Aint' gonna work.

Ascendant

What a tragedy. You go to one thread in the PvP forums and find some guy complaining that Trion doesn't communicate enough. You go to another thread (this one) where people are complaining that Trion hasn't responded to the issue when they have, in fact, responded to it on the forums and explained the situation.

They're aware of the exploit. They're investigating to be absolutely certain that they don't roll back/suspend/ban the wrong people, and then they're going to be making sure the exploiters get a clear message that what they did was not kosher.

You don't need to cry about it. You don't need to assume that just because they haven't finished gathering the necessary information that nothing is being done about it. You just need to be a little more mature, get your jammies unwadded, and be patient.

None of this would matter one little bit if we had valor segregated warfronts right now, would it? Valor segregated because people would exploit rank segregation by changing to higher valor gear (unless somehow disallowed from the get go) after queuing into a lower bracket warfront, yet you need to be able to change gear and Role at any time when out of combat. But there should be auto kick with warfront queue debuff penalty if you change into higher valor gear than is intended for a segregated warfront that you queue for, imo.

I would have lmao if those who got their gear the cheating way had ended up, via a quick game patch, the next Monday or Tuesday in warfronts against other R7/R8's who really know how to play instead of just bragging about all the kills of much lower ranked players.

Maybe the silence is because there should now be, or almost be, sufficient numbers of R6 through R8 players to make those kind of valor segregated warfront queues practical and without really excessively long queue times. Not holding my breath that this gets done, or done properly (without a way to be exploited) if it does get done, but it makes for great lol dreams when I'm not actually playing.
    Specter
    R87 Mage - Wolfsbane, Guardian

Plane Touched

put the cheaters back to P6 at least!

Rift Chaser

Yeah I've had to deal with about two weeks of a particular group on my shard bragging openly in general chat about abusing this exploit and nothing being done about it. If they go unscathed, hopefully they can pay Trion the difference for all the people that actually play by the rules when they leave.

Not gonna listen to a bunch of lazy tardz bragging in chat because a company can't enforce their own rules.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast