+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Please advise me, what a low prestige player is supposed to do in Rift PvP?

Default Please advise me, what a low prestige player is supposed to do in Rift PvP?

I'm struggling, I really am. To cope with being repeatedly stomped into the dirt by other players because I've dinged lvl 50 and only have the basic starter PvP gear. I'm literally getting one shotted left right and centre, it's no longer funny. I can't do anything about it, I'm trying to spec for survivability and still I go down like a cheap hooker.

I'm a Cleric, I'm not new to PvP, very successful in other mmo's. So what are my options? Guardians seem to get stomped 80% of the time in warfronts, so I'm not getting a lot of prestige or favour, I really don't know what I possibly can do to have a chance in PvP.

Please give me some advice / help.

Ascendant

turn in port relics and kill NPCs in port of scion until glorified reputation, doing this grind should also get you a few prestige ranks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    All I see is your team gettin rolled but managing to win anyway.

Default If

Your healing make a Warden spec and stay in the back the best you can broadcast heals until you die. Respawn and come back to try and help again..

If you dps'ing.. Which i don't recomend until r6.. But let us assume you are stubborn... Learn to assist the best Warrior in your group..

Ascendant

make a wardrobe out of the costume items available as the "new 50 gear" is a dead give away.

I always check the health pool of clerics that look like my cleric alt first
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    All I see is your team gettin rolled but managing to win anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmosis View Post
    I'm struggling, I really am. To cope with being repeatedly stomped into the dirt by other players because I've dinged lvl 50 and only have the basic starter PvP gear. I'm literally getting one shotted left right and centre, it's no longer funny. I can't do anything about it, I'm trying to spec for survivability and still I go down like a cheap hooker.

I'm a Cleric, I'm not new to PvP, very successful in other mmo's. So what are my options? Guardians seem to get stomped 80% of the time in warfronts, so I'm not getting a lot of prestige or favour, I really don't know what I possibly can do to have a chance in PvP.

There's really nothing you can do except grind out the ranks until you can survive long enough to be useful. Survivability starts to get better around R3, but your spell power will still be too low for your heals to really matter. My advice is to avoid healing people with small HP pools or healing debuffs on them. Concentrate on the people that you can actually keep alive, rather than helping the walking corpses last a couple seconds longer.

If that doesn't work, do what I did - cancel and go play a game that's actually fun.

Rift Disciple

Not pvp...but if youre a masochist: afk (highly recommend watching entourage while randomly mulling about), bot, cheat with pvp rifts....100% legit (or at least Trion wont do squat about it).

Quote Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
    Your healing make a Warden spec and stay in the back the best you can broadcast heals until you die. Respawn and come back to try and help again..

If you dps'ing.. Which i don't recomend until r6.. But let us assume you are stubborn... Learn to assist the best Warrior in your group..
    The combination of nerfs and LW kind of make R1/2 healing pointless. Like trying to treat a decapitation with a Sesame Street band-aid.

While at the same time, yes - R1/2 DPS is kind of pointless as well.

It is the perfect opportunity for the hybrid DPS/heals/support... a little DPS, a little HPS, and some buffs/debuffs.

Cause why just do a little DPS or just a little HPS, when you can do both and more!
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

It's going to suck for a while. Luckily, with the new daily pvp quests you are pretty much garaunteed 3600 prestige a day and can make it to rank 3 pretty quick. Just do what you can in warfronts. I would see who has the highest kills/damage after a couple minutes then stand back and concentrate heals on them. I know that with even a rank 2 guy healing me I do a whole lot better.

Just be glad that you don't have to save all your favor until you hit rank 5 and can pick up the gear as you go. At rank 3/4 gear you notice a difference, then at 5/6 another jump.

Soulwalker

I know exactly how you feel.
    I was a Field Marshal Back in the early PVP days of WOW.

I have some how managed to grind it out to rank 5. Clerics are always the first targets. Doesn't matter if your healing or not and to be truthful the difference between r1 and and r5 in terms of survivability is small when players focus you.

I have even focused my build around survivability, Not Damage, Not Heal others, Purely a Stay alive build because i can't stand dying 10 time a game.

And still warriors can just cut me in half.

PVP in this game is not balanced, not even close and the disparity between prestige gear makes you ask the question why am i suffering making it fun for others?

So my advice to you would be quit before you get in too deep.

My advice for Trion is to move R7-8 into their own league. A R8 warrior/Rogue hitting a r1-r6 Cleric is equivalent to Mike Tyson beating up kids outside an orphanage. Its just sad.

Good news: Swtor is not too far away.

Telaran

I gotta say having so big difference between r1-r8 gear is a little like - for example - always letting Federer start with 1-0 in sets, just because he was so darn good last season. Nice for Federer but fun for the "sport" ?

Default some kind of

Healing is always helpful.. No matter how many times you die.. Casting every spam heal you have til you die is more helpful than you think.. Maybe try to keep a caster alive.. That kind of stuff matters and even at R1 you are contributing. You are going to die in 2 hits, so get used to the graveyard, but don't give up.. R1-3 pass fast as hell.. Even using your fear button as often as it pops is helpful.. button mash em all!!

Champion of Telara

You forgot to add bad to the title but you are supposed to die.

Telaran

Default What to do

1. You get farmed and crushed by all the kiddies that exploited PVP rifts and are now P8 with full gear (that Trion will never do anything about).

2. You continue doing that for about 8 months as you grind out a set of gear, losing about 90% of the games you play in (especially if you are on a server that did NOT have an active PVP Rift exploit group going), feeling like you are being punched in the face over and over again as you are spawn camped.

3. All the while you watch your class get nerfed again and again and again.

4. After those 8 months of grinding and losing and grinding and being spawn camped by exploiters, you MAY get a glimmer of a chance of actually enjoying PVP in this game. That is unless you get nerfed again. Which you will.

5. Hopefully before all this happens, you find a new game to play that is actually fun.
    Last edited by onihero; 08-15-2011 at 03:51 PM.

The R1-R6 gear discrepancy was a broke mechanic on Trion's part. The R1-R8 even more so. I applaud you for asking for advice instead of pointing out the obvious. As many have suggested, the only thing you can really do (other than eating it for 6 levels of prestige) is support those players who are better geared.
    I wish this wasn't true. Sadly it is.

Good luck.

I'm using my warden PvP spec and spam healing like a mad man, at least I'm contributing something until a defiant see's me and promptly punches my face in.

I'm not getting a good overall vibe about PvP at 50, I hit R2 BTW!! I'm still a punching bag for 12 yr olds though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast