+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chomag

Thread: Starting Pvp at lvl 50

Soulwalker

Default Starting Pvp at lvl 50

Is starting to PvP at lvl 50 possible? without any valor and pvp gear can I do anything or will I just be a hinder on the team? I am a cleric by the way

You could pick flowers till P2.

Healing is good no matter what quantity or quality it comes in.
    Even free cost too much now

Plane Touched

Stay in the back as much as you can and heal.
    Eldritch Knight Brod - 50 Mage Rank 8 Briarcliff

Banned

You have as more fun dieing as a new dps vs a new healer.

Soulwalker

Alright I guess I will try my 51 warden and hope I can earn some favor fast before I get bored of dieng!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jreedthebeast View Post
    Is starting to PvP at lvl 50 possible? without any valor and pvp gear can I do anything or will I just be a hinder on the team? I am a cleric by the way
    your deaths will fertilize the ground beneath your feet, thus you are doing something

Stay back healing, think good thoughts and hope at least some will protect you (as if )

I like the protect-argument. As if that would be even remotely possible.

So I see a low valor target being attacked by a warrior. I cast one CC on the warrior, he breaks it, bambam, low valor target kapoot.

What now?

Plane Touched

If you are used to topping the boards, you'll be disappointed when you hit level 50. You're never going to do that again until you're in the max rank PVP gear again, which is going to take a fairly ridiculous grind considering that some of my PVP breathren would like to claim that it is a game of skill (ha! ;)).

That said: it is still a game of STRATEGY, at least anywhere but Black Garden where there is only ever one objective (and therefore, only ever one place for you to be - where all the higher geared folks are). I love Black Garden, so it's unfortunately true that this particular warfront suffers all the problems everyone complains about.

However, because the other games have various elements of gaming strategy that have nothing to do with your ability to kill people, I have found the notion that I can't contribute to a warfront to be GREATLY exaggerated (I just turned level 50 a few days ago). In the Codex, whether or not you win often comes down to how much harrassment you can place on either the Statue of Thontic or Translation Scope. That's a job you can still do. In Escalation: Whitefall, having a spec that can quickly return a shard you pick up can make you the most important person on the team. Similarly, if you find someone stealing your flag and even just slow him down for 10 seconds for 3-4 more teammates to help, you can contribute that way too.

Is it irritating when you know you totally outplay someone and die anyway? Sure. However, if you stick to doing objectives (which are important enough you should be willing to die for them if necessary anyway - that's why you respawn), or fight with your team (where coordinated focus fire and crowd control will win regardless of gear), then you'll still have fun.

I've been in a few steamrolls myself, but honestly, the reason we lost those fights wasn't because of the gear. It's that the kinds of people you play against which have R8 already (not the exploiters) tend to simply be better players with more practice anyway - that's why they're already R8. Their superior tactics would've killed us during those steamrolls even if they were using pointy sticks and loincloths.

SHAMELESS PLUG HERE: In spite of all of that, I'm STILL a big advocate for removing gear as a consideration entirely. This system should have died a long time ago. It's a horrible kludge resulting from the way everyone thinks about PVE gaming. This is supposed to be a game of skill. Make it so!

Quote Originally Posted by Jreedthebeast View Post
    Do as I did:

Spam port scion and hide in the crowd. You're bound to get favor and prestige while thinking you're contributing.
    Don't bother with other wfs as you're bound to have your *** handed to you.

+ Reply to Thread