+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: **My thoughts on why Defiant are winning 72% of the warfronts I play- my suggestions

Lightbulb **My thoughts on why Defiant are winning 72% of the warfronts I play- my suggestions

So I have amassed about 1.4 million favor and I've been keeping my records on win/losses in excel and Defiant are at a 72% win ratio right now.

Here are the possible reasons in my mind.

1. The Bahmi look MUCH cooler for warriors, hence more warriors exist on the defiant side.
    2. Archtype. We all know Defiant is the "evil" side right- so it makes sense that people who have a bit more of a mischevious and pvp "spirit" play that side.
    3. Women generally play "cute" characters and gravitate towards pretty hair, outfits, scenery, cities. You are right that the % of women that play is small but the carebear GUYS that like to play with girls pick guardian due to this imho. Ok this third one was a stretch of a hypothesis- I agree.

Trion should develop some dynamic reactive methods to fix EITHER side that has such a drastic win/loss- whether it's guardian or defiant. Dynamic in that it's not static- it changes based on who is winning/losing often. Reactive in that it feeds off the current data.

Here are some examples
    1. You know how when you die, you lose your armor until eventually it's 0% and you have to fix it? Well, if you lose 3x in a ROW, your character gets a 10% buff for 20 minutes. It's not by side, it's by character.
    2. Timers change based off of how quickly a side is winning. In Black Garden, if score is 350 to 5, then the side with 350 will find the stone will start hurting them more. In Codex, points slow down the greater the spread. In Port Scion, more "troops" spawn when a larger spread occurrs or if one side gets the kill on the dragon, takes the flag and kills xx number of opposition within x amount of time.
    3. If % or xx# of people spawn at a grave yard at a certain time, it creates a group buff for x minutes. This would happen if one side completely annihilated the other team at one time, typically meaning one side is far more powerful than the other.

You don't want to make it 100% balanced- and winning big is fine. What you have to try and do is fix the outliers. If 5-8% of the time, you have an extremely lopsided battle, then you try and fix the 5%, not create overall balanced with everything.

Any other suggestions?
    Rogue: 0/0 HK or any other PVE content. Over 120+ days /played in PVP content exclusively as an Assassin. (yes, 2800 hours)
    Yes, I know MM and NB rule. No, I don't want to switch to a MM. Yes, I know they are the best. No, again, I'd rather improve Assassins.

Default ..

PS. #3 about the women was my attempt at humor. I don't really think it's due to that.
    Rogue: 0/0 HK or any other PVE content. Over 120+ days /played in PVP content exclusively as an Assassin. (yes, 2800 hours)
    Yes, I know MM and NB rule. No, I don't want to switch to a MM. Yes, I know they are the best. No, again, I'd rather improve Assassins.

Champion

I'll trade you. You can come to my war group and I'll go to yours. In mine guardians win pretty much every game. If they're not out healing us they're out dpsing us.

It's usually the opposite on my battlegroup, especially lately.
    what is this I don't even

Guardians on my cluster have been winning so many we've been moonwalking in the stones in the new Whitefall.

Prophet of Telara

From Glory and I's MMO analysis the evil faction ALWAYS has better pugs, but the good side has better PREMADES. This is because people roll evil to pvp, but people roll the good side to be "outnumbered/premade versus the masses"

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    PS. #3 about the women was my attempt at humor. I don't really think it's due to that.
    But...that was the best part of your post

Default ..

Well, regardless of the reasons (mine were half heartedly jokes)

my suggested solutions aim to solve it for everyone, any server, any side. Dynamic, reactive coding is the key.
    Last edited by DiamondDog; 08-14-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiraden View Post
    From Glory and I's MMO analysis the evil faction ALWAYS has better pugs, but the good side has better PREMADES. This is because people roll evil to pvp, but people roll the good side to be "outnumbered/premade versus the masses"
    ...Rift doesn't have a playable evil faction.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDog View Post
    So I have amassed about 1.4 million favor and I've been keeping my records on win/losses in excel and Defiant are at a 72% win ratio right now.

Here are the possible reasons in my mind.

1. The Bahmi look MUCH cooler for warriors, hence more warriors exist on the defiant side.
    2. Archtype. We all know Defiant is the "evil" side right- so it makes sense that people who have a bit more of a mischevious and pvp "spirit" play that side.
    3. Women generally play "cute" characters and gravitate towards pretty hair, outfits, scenery, cities. You are right that the % of women that play is small but the carebear GUYS that like to play with girls pick guardian due to this imho. Ok this third one was a stretch of a hypothesis- I agree.

Trion should develop some dynamic reactive methods to fix EITHER side that has such a drastic win/loss- whether it's guardian or defiant. Dynamic in that it's not static- it changes based on who is winning/losing often. Reactive in that it feeds off the current data.

Here are some examples
    1. You know how when you die, you lose your armor until eventually it's 0% and you have to fix it? Well, if you lose 3x in a ROW, your character gets a 10% buff for 20 minutes. It's not by side, it's by character.
    2. Timers change based off of how quickly a side is winning. In Black Garden, if score is 350 to 5, then the side with 350 will find the stone will start hurting them more. In Codex, points slow down the greater the spread. In Port Scion, more "troops" spawn when a larger spread occurrs or if one side gets the kill on the dragon, takes the flag and kills xx number of opposition within x amount of time.
    3. If % or xx# of people spawn at a grave yard at a certain time, it creates a group buff for x minutes. This would happen if one side completely annihilated the other team at one time, typically meaning one side is far more powerful than the other.

You don't want to make it 100% balanced- and winning big is fine. What you have to try and do is fix the outliers. If 5-8% of the time, you have an extremely lopsided battle, then you try and fix the 5%, not create overall balanced with everything.

Any other suggestions?
    Trions already fixed this for you. Apparently, the only "escalation" that exists in this game is Whitefall Steppes. Just do what every single other Guardian is doing, grab on to the coattails of a premade, and get P8 before you have to brush your teeth again.

Once all the Guardians have gotten all the favor they need, I'm suspecting that other WFs' escalations will miraculously start popping.

And to all the Guardians who think PvP is talking smack behind your three dedicated healers and running away from your shadow if it's in the wrong position: enjoy your 2 week head start. Once gear is equalized on Defiant side, you'll be right back at where you started... never winning.

Edit: O yeah. Don't forget throw in a healthy does of exploiting PvP rifts. Don't worry, these Devs aren't gonna do jack about it.
    Last edited by Stewy; 08-14-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Soulwalker

I am Defiant and I played all weekend and we never had a single win..... not one.

Hey now, I take offense to your comments about women players!

Its obvious that the most attractive female races are Defiant. Also male Bahmis are hawt - much hotter than dorfs or high elves - why would women roll the side of the ugly male toons? Seriously OP - you are so off base.

So, your reason #3 could be more like, Defiant win more in your battlegroup because women are better pvpers, and there are more female Defiant players. That I approve of.
    Claw of Sunrest <Princess> Rank 8 Cleric Healer

Lava of Sunrest - 50 DPS Warrior (retired)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Tohrid View Post
    Guardians on my cluster have been winning so many we've been moonwalking in the stones in the new Whitefall.
    What shard/cluster are you on?

We could do a prisoner exchange.......me for you.

Banned

I would suggest then the only common factor in that 72% losing streak is the OP.....

@Mournblood

K im gonna show my noobness here for PvP, but I dont know if there is a certain name for my cluster lol, but here are the servers in it that i know of: Crucia(my server), Molinar and Freeholme. There are probably other server but I rarely see them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast