+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: So sick of seeing "It takes to long to gain rank"

Default So sick of seeing "It takes to long to gain rank"

To long as compared to what? Who are you racing?

Thank god you cant hit p8 in a weekend. Believe it or not, while you are going through the ranks, you are LEARNING your calling.

Stop looking for a WoW type hand-out.

Earn your stuff, stop crying and have fun while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompei View Post

Thank god you cant hit p8 in a weekend. Believe it or not, while you are going through the ranks, you are LEARNING your calling.

The problem isn't the grinding per-se. The problem is the grinding while getting 3 shotted by high ranked players whose only skill is at managing to have a ton of free time on their hands, or had been grinding for months before.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    The problem isn't the grinding per-se. The problem is the grinding while getting 3 shotted by high ranked players whose only skill is at managing to have a ton of free time on their hands, or had been grinding for months before.
    Oh I agree but what difference does that make when PvP isn't competitive to begin with? You know, when you "level your rank" rather than compete for it.
    Everyone wants an

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfetx View Post
    I also have no issue with every one getting a trophy. I think its a wonderful concept even in the real life version.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    The beauty of this game is that there is ALWAYS a way. You have so many tools at your disposal, you just have to learn to use them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but learning to survive is very important in PvP. Learn to survive at lower ranks. Sure you are gonna get stomped sometimes, learn to avoid bad situations.

Why should you have the same advantage as someone who has played for 100 more hours than you?

Master & Blaster huh Erszebet ;)
    Last edited by Pompei; 08-14-2011 at 02:05 PM.

Plane Walker

I don't mind grinding out t2 gear or even raid gear since there is something different about it most of the time.

Getting rank 1-4 is just dying over and over again or luck out and kill someone else that is enduring the pure hell that is being cannon fodder.

Or of course you can afk in WF and exploit pvp rifts because those 2 mechanics sure don't scream that the grind is a waste of time and needs exploiting
    Last edited by XEshamX; 08-14-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Telaran

WoW requires you to actually be good at pvp to get the best gear. Lets get something straight. This is my opinion but the pvp system in WoW is far superior. First off, you cannot compete in rift with R1 gear if you're going against R5+. There's not a slight chance in hell to compete. In WoW, its easy to get the previous seasons set of gear in a week of honor farming. This does 2 things. It makes pvp accessible and enjoyable.

Secondly, the ABSOLUTE BEST gear requires skill to obtain. You cannot be 2600+ arena rating in WoW and not be good, if you look at some of the previous MLG videos, some of the top wow arena players were just outright amazing. You have to earn the top tier gear in WoW.

The problem in Rift is that if you're new starting out you CANNOT compete. You will get 1 shot left and right. The gear gap is FAR TOO BIG. The second issue is IT TAKES NO SKILL TO GET R8 gear. All you have to do is lock yourself up in a basement and not have a life. Period. Say what you will about WoW but the best gear DOES take skill to obtain, and those new players starting out have a FIGHTING CHANCE. They do LESS DAMAGE / HEALING Than tier 2 players BUT they're not totally outclassed. Don't be deluded into thinking that R8 gear is anything but a grind....because THATS ALL IT IS. Rift needs a ranking/skill assessment system - in addition to not having a ridiculously huge gear gap.
    Last edited by velias; 08-14-2011 at 02:20 PM.

"WoW requires you to actually be good at pvp to get the best gear. [...] In WoW, its easy to get the previous seasons set of gear in a week of honor farming."

Wat?

I agree with the non-competitive nature that is PvP Pre-rank X, but that's a silly argument.
    Last edited by Naria; 08-14-2011 at 02:24 PM.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Naria View Post
    "WoW requires you to actually be good at pvp to get the best gear. [...] In WoW, its easy to get the previous seasons set of gear in a week of honor farming."

Wat?
    Read what I said. Getting starter gear in WoW is easy and allows you to compete without being completely outclassed. However, to get Tier 2 2200+ rating gear you have to be GOOD at the game.

Those are the critical 2 differences between wow and rift. Rift doesn't allow beginners to be anything competetive and it takes absolutely ZERO skill to get r8 gear. Its a grind, nothing more.

Plane Walker

Wat?

I agree with the non-competitive nature that is PvP Pre-rank X, but that's a silly argument.
    The previous season of gear is not the best gear. Not sure why thats hard to understand.

As new seasons came out the previous stuff got easier to get. In Rift R8 was added but 1-7 is still the same old grind. Tbh pvp is an afterthought in this game and its just tossed in for giggles.

Its shoddy on so many levels that it just can't be taken seriously.
    Last edited by XEshamX; 08-14-2011 at 02:26 PM.

The beauty of this game is that there is ALWAYS a way. You have so many tools at your disposal, you just have to learn to use them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but learning to survive is very important in PvP. Learn to survive at lower ranks. Sure you are gonna get stomped sometimes, learn to avoid bad situations.

Why should you have the same advantage as someone who has played for 100 more hours than you?

Ok, enough of this crap condemnation by Mr. Perfect Pompeii here. Instead of damning people for voicing complaints, why not offer a solution or some tips instead of the learn this, learn that, crap? Some folks may have a difficult time in PVP, so they might need a little longer. And yes, there are the ******s that have been doing this for months and months, and have NOTHING better to do than run around and kill low level players for free honor, valor, or w/e. That to me is a fail, scrub method of doing things, and a ******ed way to get you honor. Not to mention, it's a dispicable way to treat people. No wonder so many try out PVP, and then they say screw this crap. So, Pompeii, if you have the perfect skill and perfect way to survive at low levels, against epic geared idiots, then PLEASE, PLEASE expound on the method we need to start practicing.

Telling people to avoid bad situations is not NEAR enough of info. Trying to hide and survive a WF, is NOT any fun. Besides, you still have the uber geared, running around, looking for an easy kill to boast about to their other scrub friends that do the same crap in looking for low level, non epic geared players to kill. Wow, that takes some kinda skill, I tell you. "Hey guys, I'm a ranked 9 player with epic, epic EPIC gear, right, and I saw this new guy come in and I ran up to him and 1 shotted him with a hit to the head with my thumb. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" That's not fun, that's a scrub move. Nothing to brag about there, except their immature outlook on the game.

If I go into a WF, I don't give a rat's *** how many times I get killed, I'm farming the honor, valor. I get up and try again. Sooner or later, I will be at the top, so I give no kudos to the children that think it's epic to mow down players in less than epic gear, with unfamiliar skills, and surroundings. Did you fall into the skills you are in? I think not. It's a lengthy, drawn out mind numbing process, and everyone has their own way of dealing with it. Some don't do well. So what. It's not honorable to make fun of them or laugh at them. I try to have an optimistic outlook on things, until I'm pushed over the edge, and then I get retaliatory. But this is not about me.

I do entertain thoughts of high level PVP gear, and skills, and sometimes I run with it for days, weeks at a time, other times, I don't wanna discuss it. People are gonna talk and voice their opinions about things, and there is NOTHING on this planet we can do to stop them. So, you gettired "tired" of hearing it is lame. What does it do, take minutes away from your life? Cause you to run out and rob banks, kill people, hurt babies, animals? No, it does nothing to harm you in RL at all. Just let them vent. Sometimes it is better to listen than to condemn.

Sorry, but that is all the time we have for today, see the receptionist out front for your next scheduled appt. Have a nice day, and don't forget to take your medications....

Could there ever be a more epic mount? Gotta give you props on junkyard dog too.
    Last edited by Erszebet; 08-14-2011 at 02:44 PM.
    Everyone wants an

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfetx View Post
    I also have no issue with every one getting a trophy. I think its a wonderful concept even in the real life version.

Quote Originally Posted by XEshamX View Post
    The previous season of gear is not the best gear. Not sure why thats hard to understand.

As new seasons came out the previous stuff got easier to get. In Rift R8 was added but 1-7 is still the same old grind. Tbh pvp is an afterthought in this game and its just tossed in for giggles.

Its shoddy on so many levels that it just can't be taken seriously.
    Because it's only slightly below it. Sure technically it's not the best, but there was always MUCH less incentive to me in WoW, in PvP and PvE knowing in a few months that everyone would be getting what I worked hard for for free.

and I know that comes off as elitism, and maybe it is in a small way. but I don't think Making last seasons gear basically free is the answer. Comparable gear? Sure. but not the same actual items. Hell it could have the same stats, but it just diminishes the drive to me to know someone will be wearing the same exact piece visually and in name for free in only a few months time.

If you want to accelerate the upgrade path, make it similar items, different visuals (hard in this game, I know) and different names. It sounds silly but would make a world of difference in the resistance against it.
    Last edited by Naria; 08-14-2011 at 02:57 PM.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

Telaran

Because it's only slightly below it. Sure technically it's not the best, but there was always MUCH less incentive to me in WoW, in PvP and PvE knowing in a few months that everyone would be getting what I worked hard for for free.

and I know that comes off as elitism, and maybe it is in a small way. but I don't think Making last seasons gear basically free is the answer. Comparable gear? Sure. but not the same actual items. Hell it could have the same stats, but it just diminishes the drive to me to know someone will be wearing the same exact piece visually and in name for free in only a few months time.

If you want to accelerate the upgrade path, make it similar items, different visuals (hard in this game, I know) and different names. It sounds silly but would make a world of difference in the resistance against it.
    There is a pretty big difference between T1 and T2 gear in WoW....but the difference is not so big that someone who gets the tier 1 set gets 1 shot left and right. Basically the gear gap isn't as large and allows someone starting out to have an enjoyable experience.

What you're saying would be fine except that this is pvp we're talking about. To be enjoyable it should foster and encourage competition, the way the system is now its nothing more than a grindfest. WoW had this same problem during vanilla and they by a large fixed it. While i'm not saying rift should completely copy WoW in this respect, the current system is garbage. IF you're starting out a new toon you just get 1 shot over and over and over until you get to rank 5, and then you STILL are so far behind the curve that its just not fun. This might be ok if pvp rank required any skill - BUT IT DOESNT. Trion needs to find a better balance to allow newcomers to have an enjoyable experience and making sure only the best players get the best equipment. WoW does that pretty well. Whereas rift is chock full of keyboard turning 2 button macro scumbags with rank 8 gear, because they don't have a life.

To be honest I don't think pvp in rift is salvagable. With the 1 button rogues/warriors running around foamting at the mouth and screwed up DR's, like someone else said pvp was tacked on this game as an afterthought. I don't think Trion can fix it at this point, its just a bloody mess.
    Last edited by velias; 08-14-2011 at 03:11 PM.

I left PVP to the end for me. When I started doing the grind (that's ALL it is) we only had R6 to contend with and each PuG match was determined by the amount of R6. The gear made a huge difference. Really bad players in R6 gear were still really hard for good players to kill.

However I endured and pushed to R4. At R4 you aren't as squishy. You can start to make a difference. I'm 100k from R6 now and the R5 gear + Synergy crystal made life even better.

In the end though, it's not that it takes to long to gain a rank, it's just that there's little point in grinding it out. I'll be stopping at R6 and waiting for future content to give more purpose to PvP.
    Last edited by Redrowen; 08-14-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    PVP: R8
    GSB 5/5 | RoS 4/4 | HK 4/10 | GP 4/4 | DH 4/4 | RotP 1/4

Rift Disciple

people blast their way to the rank caps then complain that they are bored and those of us with lives, well we will get there when we get there. Im having fun and feel like im making progress. I do like the bonus credits from the one warfront so maybe ill just focus on pvp whenever thats going on.
    Last edited by buffalozap; 08-14-2011 at 03:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast