+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fuller

Thread: Battlegroup Configurations - Why not PvP vs. PvP and PvE vs. PvE??

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    116

    Default Battlegroup Configurations - Why not PvP vs. PvP and PvE vs. PvE??

    I honestly want to know why the battle groups have a mixture of PvP and PvE servers.

    On Briarcliff we PvP, incase anyone didnt notice. I think it gives us an unfair advantage in a warfront when we have people on our teams that do not take PvP as serious as we do.

    From a healers standpoint its pretty serious business. You definately know when someone has PvP gear on and when someones wearing PvE gear because they go down quicker than my mom did on prom night.

    Wouldnt it make more sense for PvP servers to fight PvP servers and PvE servers to fight PvE servers in warfronts?

    Wouldnt it be more competitive between the two groups because a larger number of the players in the warfront are PvP oriented?

    I am by no means saying that PvE'rs "suck" or they dont know how to PvP. Ive ran across many that were great, but how is it fair when I have 10 of 15 players from PvE servers wearing PvE gear on my team and the whole team across from us are PvP players?

    Here's a good example..
    Two nights ago some guildies and I were doing premade warfronts. We have all been playing together for several years now and know how each other reacts in PvP situations, we are all also P6+. We take a Whitefall queue and we are put with another guardian premade from Threesprings while the defiant side has 10 players all from Briarcliff. We get dominated because our team mates were not PvP geared, dropped like rocks and could not hold their own against our opponents.

    Ill be the first to admit, I dont mind losing in PvP. I lose alot of warfronts and I get steamrolled in PvP all the time. Its ok to me.. in fact I love it. But what I dont love is having an unfair advantage for one side or the other in a warfront because some of the other players are under geared due to playing on a different server ruleset.

    Does anyone else agree that it should be PvP vs. PvP and PvE vs. PvE besides my guildies and I?

  2. #2
    Ascendant VirusDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    There is no difference between a PvP shard and a PvE shard. Some might say you are subject to the non-consensual gank on a PvP shard, but by rolling on a PvP shard... you consented to that.

    As for the gearing of fresh 50s, again - what kind of shard a person is on would not affect that. The person on the PvE shard can just as easily run WFs on their way to 50 as the person on a PvP shard might not run any.

    If anything, it looks more like you should be asking for Rank(Gear) separation than separation based on shard type.

    A group of fresh 50s even if they farmed favor along the way, are only going to be able to pick up a few pieces until they hit R2 to complete the set. That being said, they're likely to be a mix of green/blue unless they also farmed rifts/instances before queuing up.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    There is no difference between a PvP shard and a PvE shard. Some might say you are subject to the non-consensual gank on a PvP shard, but by rolling on a PvP shard... you consented to that.

    As for the gearing of fresh 50s, again - what kind of shard a person is on would not affect that. The person on the PvE shard can just as easily run WFs on their way to 50 as the person on a PvP shard might not run any.

    If anything, it looks more like you should be asking for Rank(Gear) separation than separation based on shard type.

    A group of fresh 50s even if they farmed favor along the way, are only going to be able to pick up a few pieces until they hit R2 to complete the set. That being said, they're likely to be a mix of green/blue unless they also farmed rifts/instances before queuing up.
    I disagree.. this is a difference between PvP and PvE shards. Its not just the ruleset but the mindset of the players.

    Its obvious that you roll on a PvE shard because you are more PvE focused then PvP.

    I guess I should have been a bit more clear. I am not talking about fresh 50's.. I can totally deal with that, Thats part of it. In my example above all of these characters were raid quality+ geared some had oranges which not even 1 person in my guild has =/

  4. #4
    Ascendant VirusDancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    I totally misread what you said... I saw PvE greens when you had said PvE gear.

    As for the mindset though, I'd have to disagree on that. Many people that roll on a PvE shard do so because they're not interested in being ganked - they do not see that as PvP. They spend as much if not more time in WFs than those on PvP shards.

    You mentioned Threesprings, it was one of the original three shards in the Carrion-Millrush-Threesprings cluster. Both Threesprings and Millrush are PvE shards - Carrion is a PvP shard. There was always more representation in WFs from Threesprings and Millrush than there was from Carrion. The Carrion folks were mainly off running PvE instances.

    I leveled my first 50 on Carrion. He did perhaps 3-4 instances. Never completed an Expert. He was the first R6 on Carrion. All I did was WFs with him. After the merger with Asphodel-Galena-Rasmolov and FCTs, there was an increase in ganking. I wanted to level alts free of that. So I moved my toons to Threesprings.

    I finished leveling my Warrior to 50. She has never been inside a PvE instance.
    I created a new Cleric and took her to 50. She has never been inside a PvE instance.
    I created a new Rogue and he is currently up to 45. He has never been inside a PvE instance.
    I have a handful of 20s-30s on various PvE shards as well, that have never been inside a PvE instance that I play in the lower WF brackets.

    When they did the shuffle, they put Threesprings in with a cluster that lacked a clue. It was terrible. Looking to play with as many folks as possible from the original and merger cluster, I moved over to Galena. The queues were painful though. So I ended up moving to Millrush in the hopes of getting in on that Dayblind action in WFs. Queues have been pretty good.

    Given the number of folks that are leveling alts on PvE shards to get them to 50 and transfer to a PvP shard, I just do not see the difference between the two shard types.

    It is possible that with your group of raid geared folks, they were there because they had read that certain PvP gear is BiS for them....so they might be around for a bit, eh?

    Outside of fresh 50s and the occasional orange weapon, I have not seen anybody in PvE gear in a very long time - back before there were any R4s and folks were running around in T1/T2.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

  5. #5
    Soulwalker Synfain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I am on a pve server and the only pve I do is crafting. I level stictly through pvp as does the guild I am in. The only reason I choose to do so is because I want pve seperate from pvp like the previous games I am used to- DAOC, War, etc.

    I thought at least on Millrush that this was the norm? I was of the opinion that there is a significant amount of players who prefer to seperate pve from pvp from server populations in previous mmos.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Lilisette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    271

    Default

    People on PvE servers are more interested in warfronts than disorganised world PvP. My guild regularly runs Warfront Premades as often as we run dungeon and raid groups.

    Basically it's people on PvE shards dislike zerg vs zerg or ganking and prefer organised team vs team battles. The amount of coordination you need for raiding is actually higher than the coordination required for PvP until you get to high ranked Premade vs Premade.
    Lilisette High Elven Rogue - Argent EU | Laretha: High Elven Cleric - Argent EU
    Rahal: High Elven Warrior - Argent EU | Lilaeath: High Elven Mage - Argent EU
    If any fellow Roleplayers want to meet up to RP, let me know.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    107

    Default

    I say keep it as it is. PVE players don't seem to AFK leech nearly as often as PVP in warfronts.

  8. #8
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaaos View Post
    I disagree.. this is a difference between PvP and PvE shards. Its not just the ruleset but the mindset of the players.

    Its obvious that you roll on a PvE shard because you are more PvE focused then PvP.

    I guess I should have been a bit more clear. I am not talking about fresh 50's.. I can totally deal with that, Thats part of it. In my example above all of these characters were raid quality+ geared some had oranges which not even 1 person in my guild has =/
    idk what battlegroup or server you are on, but every pvp server ive been on, there is always tons of pve carebears pvping in pve gear. ive also seen people from pve servers in warfronts wearing full rank 6 + gear and the majority of them werent completely awful like you are insisting.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    I totally misread what you said... I saw PvE greens when you had said PvE gear.

    As for the mindset though, I'd have to disagree on that. Many people that roll on a PvE shard do so because they're not interested in being ganked - they do not see that as PvP. They spend as much if not more time in WFs than those on PvP shards.

    You mentioned Threesprings, it was one of the original three shards in the Carrion-Millrush-Threesprings cluster. Both Threesprings and Millrush are PvE shards - Carrion is a PvP shard. There was always more representation in WFs from Threesprings and Millrush than there was from Carrion. The Carrion folks were mainly off running PvE instances.

    I leveled my first 50 on Carrion. He did perhaps 3-4 instances. Never completed an Expert. He was the first R6 on Carrion. All I did was WFs with him. After the merger with Asphodel-Galena-Rasmolov and FCTs, there was an increase in ganking. I wanted to level alts free of that. So I moved my toons to Threesprings.

    I finished leveling my Warrior to 50. She has never been inside a PvE instance.
    I created a new Cleric and took her to 50. She has never been inside a PvE instance.
    I created a new Rogue and he is currently up to 45. He has never been inside a PvE instance.
    I have a handful of 20s-30s on various PvE shards as well, that have never been inside a PvE instance that I play in the lower WF brackets.

    When they did the shuffle, they put Threesprings in with a cluster that lacked a clue. It was terrible. Looking to play with as many folks as possible from the original and merger cluster, I moved over to Galena. The queues were painful though. So I ended up moving to Millrush in the hopes of getting in on that Dayblind action in WFs. Queues have been pretty good.

    Given the number of folks that are leveling alts on PvE shards to get them to 50 and transfer to a PvP shard, I just do not see the difference between the two shard types.

    It is possible that with your group of raid geared folks, they were there because they had read that certain PvP gear is BiS for them....so they might be around for a bit, eh?

    Outside of fresh 50s and the occasional orange weapon, I have not seen anybody in PvE gear in a very long time - back before there were any R4s and folks were running around in T1/T2.
    Again I disagree.. People that play on PvE shards do not PvP on a more consistant basis then people that play on a PvP shard.

    Its like saying people that goto Jenny Craig for their services arent fat or dont desire to lose weight but rather just hang out there and see what its all about. It just doesnt work that way. If you join a PvE server you dont join because you are scared of get ganked in the open world. I think thats just an excuse.

    I didnt say every PvE server player was strictly PvE. I know P7+ people from PvE servers. But a majority of the players from PvE servers are more focused to PvE with the exception of some.

    Often my guildies and I try to duo queue for warfronts, since premade queues take forever, and get 6-10 of us in the same warfront. You can definately tell the difference as a healer when 10 of the 15 people are wearing P6 gear.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuller View Post
    idk what battlegroup or server you are on, but every pvp server ive been on, there is always tons of pve carebears pvping in pve gear. ive also seen people from pve servers in warfronts wearing full rank 6 + gear and the majority of them werent completely awful like you are insisting.
    Im on Briarcliff

    Our battle group consists of:
    Threesprings - PvE
    Silkweb - PvE
    Gnarlwood - PvE
    Byriel - PvE

    We used to have Harrow and Snarebrush which were both PvP servers and had some good competition.

    A PvP server gets clustered with 4 PvE servers - that doesnt make sense to me =/

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaaos View Post
    Im on Briarcliff

    Our battle group consists of:
    Threesprings - PvE
    Silkweb - PvE
    Gnarlwood - PvE
    Byriel - PvE

    We used to have Harrow and Snarebrush which were both PvP servers and had some good competition.

    A PvP server gets clustered with 4 PvE servers - that doesnt make sense to me =/
    I guess Snarebrush is there still but so few ever join from their server anymore.

    So its 2 PvP Shards and 4 PvE shards

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts