+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is RIFT any good for PvP yet?

Shadowlander

Default Is RIFT any good for PvP yet?

just bought a 60 day time card in hopes it would be by now, i quit the first month because I felt it wasnt balanced and didnt have promising end game pvp

Hmmm well hopefully others will answer your question as well to give a broader feel for the games current state in PvP. However from my experience the PvP is currently in a type of flux with recent changes. I'm sure it'll settle in a few days or maybe a week or two, but personally I've just felt like PvP is just a decent little thing to do on the side at the moment. World pvp was jsut put in recently and it's been pretty fun to do every now and hen, but from what I've heard if you're on a server with a very lopsided population they can be a bit frustrating to do PVP Rifts on. I'd say there are minor things with each soul that are a bit under or over performing, but it's not too bad.

Other than that PvP hasn't changed much, we've had an alternate whitefall put in, two more prestige ranks were added, and that's about it. Personally I think it'd be worth a try, but I'd wait for more opinions on the state of the game before deciding.

"Creation is a paradox. It hatches from its opposite."—Olka, Mistmeadow witch
    CGhub Portfolio | My Sketchbook | RIFT related sketches and art | Rift Gear and wardrobe concept sketches

Soulwalker

No it's not.PVP is at an all time low.Premade weekend started yesterday and Trion is still rewarding premades with quicker favor and gear for camping spawnpoints when the other team gives up due to boredom of being rolled over and over again.

If your a warrior or cleric and are atleast rank 6 sure go have some fun until the pvp ques skyrocket due to less ppl pvping but if your a rogue or mage and you pug be warned.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by seethyr View Post
    No it's not.PVP is at an all time low.Premade weekend started yesterday and Trion is still rewarding premades with quicker favor and gear for camping spawnpoints when the other team gives up due to boredom of being rolled over and over again.

If your a warrior or cleric and are atleast rank 6 sure go have some fun until the pvp ques skyrocket due to less ppl pvping but if your a rogue or mage and you pug be warned.
    Yeah pretty much this.
    The endgame quality of pvp is more like a F2P game.

But to make it short this game is all about premade vs. pug and warriors killing everything in sight and heal clerics focus healing warriors. Everything else doesn't have a place in this game.

But i like the new escalation whitefall, i think it's more fun than the old one.

Rift Disciple

It is tough to answer that broad of a question. It really depends on what you like to do in PvP. For me the lack of multiple world PvP objectives is totally lacking making world PvP (where i find the most fun pvp wise) not fun. Now lets say you play a rogue who enjoys ganking people who are questing, then I would say this game has good PvP for you. Lots of variables

Rift Master

PvP is horrible, completely unbalanced.

If you're a mage and a rogue being killed, then you're doing something wrong. World pvp, rogue comes up stun locks you, bleeds you and then slips away.

Mage just goes chloro/lock and heals and puts dots on you whilst running like a pansy.

Clerics... well, they're just OP. Cabalist anyone? Not to mention WF healing. It's either you have cleric healers and you win or you don't have cleric healers and you get farmed.

Warriors could lawn mow down people until the paragon nerf bat with hotfix 6 (they messed up hotfix 5 and buffed paragons instead. Yay for QA testing!)

Unfortunately with the new prestige ranks, gear is ever more important... rather than skill and timing (which isnt the case for any class anymore) - Not to mention they have also made a lot of PvP items BiS for PvE!
    A remnant of special olympics world first hammerknell - 27th July 2011 - Best raid ever to be opened. I was a mighty warrior tank. Had many friends and was appreciated in the community.

Looking back at RIFT is bittersweet. Ah damn.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dandroid View Post
    just bought a 60 day time card in hopes it would be by now, i quit the first month because I felt it wasnt balanced and didnt have promising end game pvp
    You wasted your money. If you can return the card or exchange it for another mmo then do so immediately.

Plane Touched

PvP is honestly the worst in any game I have ever seen. At this point, WoW's end-game PvP is better in my mind and that is truly sad. Everyone thinks every calling is overpowered, constantly crying for nerfs. Healing has been nerfed almost into the ground (save for Bards), Cabalist was excellent, but people can't handle Clerics doing anything well so that got nerfed and one of its abilities made entirely useless.

Warriors are obscene... heavily favored by developers.

They can't seem to make up their mind about Mages, so I suspect they'll smack them into the ground soon too.

Can't say much about Rogues, but I feel they are relatively ignored by the developers for good or for ill.

Prophet of Telara

as always, premades and gear trumps everything. you better have one of these or it won't be fun at L50.

Plane Touched

There is not enough fun for the casual PvP'er. If your not in an organized pre-made with ventrilo/teamspeak then most times you get rolled.

Warfronts are competitive PvP, open world PvP is always more fun for the casual player... unfortunately Rift has no specific designated areas for open world PvP and objectives. The PvP rifts help, but there is simply to much NPC aggro in the open world... they designed the world for PvE and are trying to squeeze PvP in there and it's not working well.

You need to separate PvP from PvE and create an area with PvP objectives and mechanics that doesn't involve ganking people questing or getting tons of NPC aggro at every turn.. Can Trion do it? Perhaps... but it's not there yet.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by ahmrill View Post
    There is not enough fun for the casual PvP'er. If your not in an organized pre-made with ventrilo/teamspeak then most times you get rolled.

Warfronts are competitive PvP, open world PvP is always more fun for the casual player... unfortunately Rift has no specific designated areas for open world PvP and objectives. The PvP rifts help, but there is simply to much NPC aggro in the open world... they designed the world for PvE and are trying to squeeze PvP in there and it's not working well.

You need to separate PvP from PvE and create an area with PvP objectives and mechanics that doesn't involve ganking people questing or getting tons of NPC aggro at every turn.. Can Trion do it? Perhaps... but it's not there yet.
    I would have to agree. Warfronts are not for the casual player. Get in a pre-made or you're going to be in for a rough ride most times.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Nuxt View Post
    PvP is horrible, completely unbalanced.

If you're a mage and a rogue being killed, then you're doing something wrong. World pvp, rogue comes up stun locks you, bleeds you and then slips away.

Mage just goes chloro/lock and heals and puts dots on you whilst running like a pansy.

Clerics... well, they're just OP. Cabalist anyone? Not to mention WF healing. It's either you have cleric healers and you win or you don't have cleric healers and you get farmed.

Warriors could lawn mow down people until the paragon nerf bat with hotfix 6 (they messed up hotfix 5 and buffed paragons instead. Yay for QA testing!)

Unfortunately with the new prestige ranks, gear is ever more important... rather than skill and timing (which isnt the case for any class anymore) - Not to mention they have also made a lot of PvP items BiS for PvE!
    You do realize the four OP classes you QQ'd about are the only ones in the game?

Plane Touched

the endgame pvp is repetitive and and boring. im only playing because theres nothing else atm.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Nuxt View Post
    PvP is horrible, completely unbalanced....
    The only thing thats unbalanced IMO is the rank gear/valor. At rank 4, youll barely dent a rank 6+. Imagine trying to stick a knife into a Warrior plate with Valor of 1000+. Its like trying to stab someone with a straw. Anyways, it just gets tiresome when you feel useless. Most of the time, people will just end up staying put when they are out ranked during a PVP clash.

Basically, if you just got to 50 and want to PVP, be ready to die almost instantly during big clashes. And if you feel like grinding it out, youll have to do if for 2 months or so just to get high rank gear. Thats if you are 20 hour a week rift gamer.

Its a problem that needs to be addressed. A solution would be to set up two different tiers...rank 1-4 / rank 5-8. This will automatically fix the problem. I feel that theres enough rank 5-8 players to get constant queues going.

Good luck.

P.S. The one thing they did well from level 10-49 is PVPing and leveling up. It fixed the twinking and it kept leveling you up. Now if they can just find a solution for 50...then I'll keep playing.

+ Reply to Thread