+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: PvP Nerfs -- Good or Bad?

  1. #1
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default PvP Nerfs -- Good or Bad?

    Hey guys. I wrote up an article about the recent PvP nerfs (from 1.4 and Hotfix 5). Check it out and let me know what you think!

    The tldr; of it is that I feel they are a great step in helping balance the game.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Cromagis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,793

    Default

    I think it's crap. Now warrior's are just things to get beat on.

    What happened to the diversity of classes? All I see is every one of my souls hitting for 500-800 crits. :I
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

    Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara Morituri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    Trying to balance pvp in an MMO is like playing the bubble game. When you push one thing down, another thing pops up that wasn't an issue while the previous bubble was operating. So on to the next bubble, etc.

  4. #4
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morituri View Post
    Trying to balance pvp in an MMO is like playing the bubble game. When you push one thing down, another thing pops up that wasn't an issue while the previous bubble was operating. So on to the next bubble, etc.
    Right, but I feel it's still a move in the right direction. The separation between PvE and PvP opens up a lot more doors for balancing things better.

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,414

    Default

    I wish they would realize that nerfing classes is not the best solution. Giving mages more tools to stay out of range, and changing the diminishing return effects would have been a positive approach. Warriors wouldn't be pissed because they'd be left alone, and mages would be happy because they got new toys to play with. One would assume that PVP Souls were included in the game for exactly that reason, so new abilities could be added which only effect PVP. However, as it is, the PVP souls seems to get the least amount of changes while they balance PVP, which is strange.

    I will say that I played LOTRO for two years and there were maybe... one or two nerfs. Their response to everything was to buff the weaker classes, not to punish the stronger ones. The general attitude of the players toward the devs was much, much happier than we're seeing on the forums for Rift now.

    It doesn't help the general uneasiness of many players that just a month ago "The developers were generally happy with the state of warriors," and then shortly afterward issue this massive nerf across all the damage specs for warriors.

  6. #6
    Plane Touched Basalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boondocks
    Posts
    195

    Default

    You write:

    •Players hate nerfs in general. This doesn’t matter if it’s PvE or PvP related
    I would amend it to read

    •Players hate nerfs in general,other than the ones they personally want to see. This doesn’t matter if it’s PvE or PvP related
    Last edited by Basalt; 08-12-2011 at 12:22 PM.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Fujitasix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morituri View Post
    Trying to balance pvp in an MMO is like playing the bubble game. When you push one thing down, another thing pops up that wasn't an issue while the previous bubble was operating. So on to the next bubble, etc.
    This paints a great mental picture.

    I can however also see using an extra finger and applying even pressure to both points and attaining something close enough to a level surface.

    I'd greatly prefer the Trion approach with open and inventive builds instead of canned Spam such as Blizzard reducing their PvP builds to required 31 point trees, and *still* not reaching any semblance of balance.

    This game doesn't have brackets/ratings/arena for a reason, and I accept the shortcomings to a greater degree because they aren't coming at the expense of choice.

  8. #8
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Lol warriors are a joke now, cabs are fine as long as you don't use maelstrom or sign of asias. Wich in retrospect means I can now hybrid my cab instead of going 51 or bust.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

  9. #9
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Basalt View Post
    You write:



    I would amend it to read

    •Players hate nerfs in general,other than the ones they personally want to see. This doesn’t matter if it’s PvE or PvP related
    lol, but then after that nerf, it's always their turn, and then they're back to hatred. The general consensus on nerfs in general is that they're bad and should be avoided. Which I, to a point, agree with. But in situations where it's a lot easier to toss out a nerf, it's better than boosts.

    Really it can go either way though, with both having the same overall effect, but with boosts have a more positive vibe and nerfs having a more negative one.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Laughingstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    I think the nerfs are good.

    The hilarity from the rage posts are making my ribs hurt.

    One guy can't do anything, another guy wants a refund and yet another guy now has a bad name from the nerfs and people in Sanctum throw rotten apples and eggs whenever he walks by because now he can't "heal himself" in matches.

    Stuff is funny to read.

    The clerics claim they die to much, the warriors say they suck and the mages say they stink. Even seen some rogues mad.

    I can only guess the only things winning in the PvP matches in RIFT are the squirrels. They are OP.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 08-12-2011 at 12:33 PM.

  11. #11
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    I think the nerfs are good.

    The hilarity from the rage posts are making my ribs hurt.

    One guy can't do anything, another guy wants a refund and yet another guy now has a bad name from the nerfs and people in Sanctum throw rotten apples and eggs whenever he walks by because now he can't "heal himself" in matches.

    Stuff is funny to read.

    The clerics claim they die to much, the warriors say they suck and the mages say they stink. Even seen some rogues mad.

    I can only guess the only people winning in the PvP matches in RIFT are the squirrels.
    I should screenshot some of these warfront chats. Every time I enter the whole time it's being flooded by people crying about Warriors (and their bugged buff now) and how everyone is OP'd.

    "Why do you guys always stop before the effing water? I just don't understand it"
    "Too busy reading you QQ"


    lol -- just got said while I was typing this.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Fujitasix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    I think the nerfs are good.

    The hilarity from the rage posts are making my ribs hurt.

    One guy can't do anything, another guy wants a refund and yet another guy now has a bad name from the nerfs and people in Sanctum throw rotten apples and eggs whenever he walks by because now he can't "heal himself" in matches.

    Stuff is funny to read.

    The clerics claim they die to much, the warriors say they suck and the mages say they stink. Even seen some rogues mad.

    I can only guess the only things winning in the PvP matches in RIFT are the squirrels. They are OP.
    If everyone is pissed off, you're probably pretty close to balanced.

    If I had a vendetta against any particular class, it's my own (rogue). I despise assassin "style" of gameplay, being the worst to balance of any sort of combat mechanics. Opening on someone to 50% while incapacitated, leaving the fight, and then watching them bleed out from stealth might be fun if you don't enjoy competition. It's not for me.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Laughingstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raptorak View Post
    I should screenshot some of these warfront chats. Every time I enter the whole time it's being flooded by people crying about Warriors (and their bugged buff now) and how everyone is OP'd.

    "Why do you guys always stop before the effing water? I just don't understand it"
    "Too busy reading you QQ"


    lol -- just got said while I was typing this.
    It's just.. how can all these classes be bad at the SAME time?

    Clerics, warriors, mages, rogues.. they all say they suck.

  14. #14
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raptorak View Post
    Hey guys. I wrote up an article about the recent PvP nerfs (from 1.4 and Hotfix 5). Check it out and let me know what you think!

    The tldr; of it is that I feel they are a great step in helping balance the game.
    I don't understand your argument that this is automatically a good thing just because of the fact they are only changing it for PVP and not for PVE. By that logic, you could make all warrior abilities only do 1 damage in PVP, and it's great because it's not changing PVE damage at all. Some of your other points don't seem to make a lot of sense either... I do, however, agree with your general conclusion, that the nerf was a good thing.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched Basalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boondocks
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raptorak View Post
    lol, but then after that nerf, it's always their turn, and then they're back to hatred. The general consensus on nerfs in general is that they're bad and should be avoided. Which I, to a point, agree with. But in situations where it's a lot easier to toss out a nerf, it's better than boosts.

    Really it can go either way though, with both having the same overall effect, but with boosts have a more positive vibe and nerfs having a more negative one.
    I know, just couldn't resist the irony.

    A good read overall.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts