+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Problem with PvP is Not Paragon

Rift Disciple

Default The Problem with PvP is Not Paragon

PvP balancing has been the undoing of so many MMOs, I can't begin to count them. We are fast running out of end-game when PvP is just going to get your character you built scrapped in front of the whining masses with the next 'up'date.

The real problem with PvP is the engagements don't last long ENOUGH. There are a number of reasons for this, a couple I will touch on, but first why is this the real issue?

There are NO TACTICS. Tactics occur when an engagement lasts long enough for them to unfold, but I have not yet witnessed one last longer than 60 seconds. Without tactics, there is only button mashing. And here is our first problem with Rift PvP, and with every other MMO today.

The two biggest nerfs I have witnessed in the last month do nothing to fix the primary problem, in fact they enhance the problem....reduced healing, and now Paragon's big hit.

What we really need is a vast number of abilities that are powerful and useful in PvP, for ALL the souls! Any class that just reached 50 should be able to enter a warfront and have a positive effect for their side in the fight, determined ONLY by that player's capability. But in most cases, this just isn't true. Rift PvP is about two things - DPS and survivability. Here, a 51 point Necro should be able to go and do as well as the next guy of equal skill. But they don't. It doesn't have enough DPS, and let's face it, Necro is a 1-hit wonder.

The greater number of skills and abilities in every class, the more equal the PvP end-game playing field. We don't need you guys getting involved in this never-ending cycle of nerfing hell, you'll never balance the game that way. I know, you think you're smarter than they are, but I'm calling for a positive development cycle instead of a negative one nonetheless.

And then there are the Tiers, with their all-consuming armor upgrades. WORST IDEA EVER. No game with equipment-centric PvP is worth a damn. Simply being decked out in Tier 6 shouldn't offer THAT much of a disparity from Tier 1. And goodie, two more tiers to deal with now. These are not Paragons that plague the Necromancer for example, these are any tier 6 that roll up, stun them and 1-hit them. It's pointless what you've done here.

You offer a vast variety of possibilities in mixing and matching souls, yet there are only a couple worth mention in PvP? Why should a player ever build his character one way, then at 50 have to respec for something completely different because he has no effectiveness in the battle? Foolish design thinking in my opinion. (And this goes for expert dungeons as well)

Shouldn't you rather be focusing on how to make X MORE effective in expert dungeons and PvP, rather than trying to make Y less effective? Doesn't anybody see what I see...the huge negative impact on the game in general for every negative change?

Figure out a way to expand all the souls to the point of usefulness, and there will be no such thing as 'overpowered'. Reduce the disparity in Tiered armor, as well as the necessity for it, and you have win.

Stop trying to be like Blizzard in every way. Break out of that negative development cycle before you sabotage your own game like the others did.

PvP Rifts

Great idea! Bad implementation.

Here you have a handful of guys grabbing source stones, because truly the only reason to be there is to close the rift. The game then....sends them off in 4 directions to deliver them.

So....what you were shooting for was uncooperative 1 on 1s? People scattering all over unable to support the others?

Fix this. If the group can't support itself, then all the enemy has to do to win is to show up. Bad thinking here.

Why do good raid groups suffer bad healers?

Because the bad healer just leveled all the way to 50 as a Necromancer, and respecced so they would heal in raids. Now they have 30 new buttons they are unfamiliar with. This is all relative to the problem of Rift in general, which is also it's selling point - several Roles, only one they are expert with...

Again, what was the point of learning all this through leveling, if I have to change what I am by nature at 50 in order to be useful? It's the same problem Blizzard had for different reasons with their talent trees.

All these things tell me we need a true focus on improving souls, not nerfing them. Granted, maybe Paragon in particular deserved it, but I surely hope you people aren't going to get all arrogant and start downgrading every class because it's the one being whined about loudest. I would much rather see a development cycle that GIVES NEW things to the players, new abilities, rather than takes them away.

And again I say it, the more abilities a soul has, the more balanced it becomes in the end-game in comparison to others that have had the same treatment.

Plane Touched

My eyes glazed over about half way through and I couldn't read anymore. What a load of tripe. You are one of these people that think you dont have to balance anything in these types of games. Just give everyone a slew of outlandish op abilities to counter each other with. For example class X does absurd damage. Don't nerf the absurd damge but give class C some kind of ridiuclous ability to counter it. Never mind if class C isnt there or the ability is on cool down class X just continues to obliterate everything in its path with it ridiculous dps. The fact of the matter is the devs have an idea of what kind of dps they want classes to output and they will continue to refine it over time.
    Last edited by Kwll73; 08-12-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Paragon tears are ohh so sweet. But not as sweet as the tears they shed when you take out their pocket healer.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kwll73 View Post
    My eyes glazed over about half way through and I couldn't read anymore. What a load of tripe. You are one of these people that think you dont have to balance anything in these types of games. Just give everyone a slew of outlandish op abilities to counter each other with.
    Yes.

This message is brought to you by 'This message is too short.'

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Leoknife View Post
    Paragon tears are ohh so sweet. But not as sweet as the tears they shed when you take out their pocket healer.
    There is nothing B-Net kiddies love more than the griefing of an entire class of players at once.

I don't play paragon, never have. But anything that nerfs the PvP end-game to make the engagement SHORTER is bad medicine.

Your love is like bad madicine
    Bad medicine is what I need
    Shake it up, just like bad madicine
    There ain't no doctor that can
    Cure my disease

Bad, bad medicine

+ Reply to Thread