+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Let's discuss why you don't like to PvP

Default Let's discuss why you don't like to PvP

Obviously FotM specs and gear imbalances are a concern for everyone, and probably always will be, and are entirely subjective. I can respect that some people don't participate for these reasons alone, but let me preface this discussion by asking that we overlook those obvious items and instead focus on people that wouldn't participate even if the Utopian balance were miraculously achieved.

What is it that turns you off to competing directly with other players?

Would disabling emotes or the ability to directly communicate with the enemy impact your feelings about PvP?

Do you feel being taken advantage of while exposed in PvE combat makes you angry, as in a palpable sense at your desk IRL?

What might entice you to try fighting other players, even if you've despised your PvP encounters in the past (including other games)?

Do you like having more than one faction in your game? Do you derive any sense of competition from having multiple factions?

Do you think there is a negative stigma attached to players that do PvP, as in angsty youth, etc?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

i love pvp, i would love it even more if they split the people down the middle of prestige ranks, its not fun not being able to do anything

Shadowlander

I don't PvP because of PvP players.

You know what I mean. Obviously not all PvP players are leet-speak spewing morons in their parents' basements relishing their only claim to empowerment in the form of killing other players on an online game. Some are though, and they ruin the experience all by themselves.

I also don't PvP because the game is what I do to relax. Even if I was good at PvP (I'm not), I wouldn't want to. I play when I get home from work after a long day, I wanna bash monsters, not people. It's the same reason that when I lose my temper I tend to punch a wall or a chair rather than kick my cat or slap a dude...not how I want to blow off steam.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and I don't expect or believe that anybody else shares them unless they say so. I realize I just compared PvP to animal abuse and assault, but I meant it only as examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    Obviously FotM specs and gear imbalances are a concern for everyone, and probably always will be, and are entirely subjective. I can respect that some people don't participate for these reasons alone, but let me preface this discussion by asking that we overlook those obvious items and instead focus on people that wouldn't participate even if the Utopian balance were miraculously achieved.

Would disabling emotes or the ability to directly communicate with the enemy impact your feelings about PvP?

Do you feel being taken advantage of while exposed in PvE combat makes you angry, as in a palpable sense at your desk IRL?

What might entice you to try fighting other players, even if you've despised your PvP encounters in the past (including other games)?

Do you like having more than one faction in your game? Do you derive any sense of competition from having multiple factions?

Do you think there is a negative stigma attached to players that do PvP, as in angsty youth, etc?

It seems like you are under the impression that everyone in Rift hates PvP

Trion loves to bring out the nerf bat, but I try to find away to get around it. Literally the only problem I had with PvP was the old Pyromancer 1shotyahaha skills and the PvP rift exploiters who got to PR8.
    Got an itch for anime? Visit my anime thread here!
    Nexiga
    Retired from Rift

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

I'm turned off by trying to "beat" other players in any game, and the violence and war among people. I'd rather play a cooperative game (one faction or alliance of factions) where human beings unite side by side against non-human (computer) opponents.

I was enticed in Rift mainly for something different to do in the game, and to get achievements. Haven't PvP'd in other games. Black Garden turned out to be fun, so I got pulled into more.

I do have a slight negative view of PvP players in that they seem to have a tendency to more aggressiveness, verbal violence, and rude behaviour in the forums and game.
    Last edited by Silverangel69; 08-12-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Plane Walker

The things noted in the op have nothing to do with why i don't pvp.

I don't pvp since the system in this game is broken. Think of a raid geared player in the same group with a fresh 50 and how they perform in that group. That is what pvp is like in this game for a couple of months grinding out the favor/prestige to even be a threat.

Its just a dumb grindy system that promotes afk in warfronts and exploiting pvp rifts.

Tbh i wanted to get into pvp but the time invested would be more than getting fully t2 geared so i went with doing dungeons instead. and if i did pvp now i would just afk farm or exploit pvp rifts.

All I want is a fair fight.
    I am a R3 level 50 Cleric.
    Right now, my only warfront option is to be farmed.

Trion saw the logic of breaking up warfronts for brackets from levels 1 through 49.
    Why they can't see the imbalance in the 50 bracket is beyond me.

If they split up the 50 bracket into two or three brackets, I'd be in there like a shot.
    But, for now... it's not worth my time to simply be fodder for some R6's kill count.

1) The prevalence of smack talking, epeen waving, children (of all ages) that seem to make up a large portion of the PvP community. It isn't just Rift, it's pretty much ALL MMOs.

2) Maybe. I really haven't seen this implemented, so I would try it if it was done.

3) Huh?

4) See #2. But honestly, after playing MMO's for 12 years, I really don't care much to do PvP in them. PvP in MMOs often goes to "Who is in the biggest and most dominating PvP guild" where they can control the land masses and gank you and prevent you from gearing up. That's why I prefer REAL PvP games ... FPS. Where at the beginning of each round, you start off the same, and it is PURE SKILL and knowledge, and not about your guild and what gear they helped you get.

5) Yes. Yes. But IMO, Faction and PvP are not mutually inclusive.

6) Yes, see #1.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Soulwalker

Default Couldn't have said it better myself

I agree with Deidein above.

My experience with PvP from other games have given me an innate dislike towards the genre.

Now, obviously not all PvP'ers are a..holes, but I have experienced being 'ganked' by another player 10+ levels higher than me, or with MUCH better gear than me, or being ambushed by a group while running around solo, too many times to even bother trying now.

Sad but true.

I don't PvP in MMOs because for me MMOs are about co-operation between players, not competition between players. I play other games when I want to compete with other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsumaan View Post
    I agree with Deidein above.

My experience with PvP from other games have given me an innate dislike towards the genre.

Now, obviously not all PvP'ers are a..holes, but I have experienced being 'ganked' by another player 10+ levels higher than me, or with MUCH better gear than me, or being ambushed by a group while running around solo, too many times to even bother trying now.

Sad but true.
    This

I got me an overdose of watching the max level PvP kings boldly killing new players 60 levels lower than them,and/or bravely killing of lvl 10 questgivers and guards in a starting area so noone can get their questing done.

This ofc. are the same guys that come to the forums and claim they PvP "for the challenge"
    Last edited by Agobi; 08-12-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Shadowlander

I don't PvP primarily because, as somebody else said, this to me is supposed to be entertainment, and I haven't found PvP all that entertaining in the past. It's the reason I stay away from games that are heavily PvP-oriented. Tried it, and didn't much care for it. That having been said, I'll probably try it here as well, just to see if it's different from my expectations.

I do have to agree with the general sentiment expressed that PvP seems to be dominated by epeen waving jackwagons. This certainly doesn't increase mu desire to get involved in that scene...

Ascendant

I don't PvP cus I am truly crap at it. Always have been, always will be. So I don't.

Ascendant

I did not read this because I enjoy PvPing.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

I have been really enjoying the PVP. The Rift sploiters, however, have taken the shine off a bit. I'll see how the WF are this weekend and decide if I wanna continue to head for R5/6, or stay as I am.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast