+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: "Tagged" players in PvP

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

Default "Tagged" players in PvP

With all the pushes for more world pvp, through increasing prestige gains and pvp rifts, an issue is becoming more noticeable that has been an annoyance since the first day of Rift.

If an enemy player is hit by a member of your own faction, you will not get any credit for killing that enemy unless you're grouped with the person who hit him. It doesn't matter who does the most damage, or if you save your teammates life. Whoever hits the enemy first gets the credit.

This is the exact same mechanic for tagging pve mobs. While this is acceptable with mobs, its not acceptable with players. The current mechanics make it the best strategy to simply watch your teammate die, then kill the enemy player after he has healed. Currently you can be in a raid doing a PvP rift, and a rogue can run and shoot fan out at the enemy and your entire raid will not get any credit for killing enemies. The problem is exacerbated because sometimes players will even stay "tagged" after combat ends. It doesn't seem to make any sort of sense.

This is a bad system and it is antithetical to all logic and a disincentive to cooperating with your own faction. It's time to change it, and a change would be simple: anyone who participates in killing an enemy player should get the same credit.

It shouldn't matter who hits who first, or who's in who's group. If you help kill an enemy, either by killing him or healing someone who kills him, then you get credit for killing him, just as if you were grouped. Let's make this small, sensible change and save a lot of frustration.
    Last edited by Dunharrow; 08-12-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Rift Chaser

/signed

these are filler words because the above statement was too short to post
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

Rhetoricx (someone stole my name on Seastone)
    <Unreal>
    I wish Rift had PVP in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhetoric View Post
    /signed

these are filler words because the above statement was too short to post
    I agree

Its a pain in the *** when you are trying to get your daily done especially.

I would agree, but Dunsparrow keeps tagging me in open world pvp. So it makes sense to perpetuate whatever he doesn't like.

What would be the proposed change, Dunsparrow?

Any damage/healing done while in combat which resulted in a death give credit for a kill? AE MOAR to get "kills"

Group dealing the most damage? What about the out of group cleric that dropped 300 megaheals on the one warrior that killed 5 guys, does the cleric no credit?

The entire credit system is a bit buggy, you can get credit for your group killing people in Shimmersand while you browse the auction house, though it does use your current location for recording where the kill occurred.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Soulwalker

Yep, it seems completely random when they will 'untag' even if a pve mob tags them it can take ages for them to go green. Very silly.

Ascendant

i've been putting in support tickets and "what don't you like about the game" tickets, as well as forum posts about this since beta!

pvp tap needs to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    All I see is your team gettin rolled but managing to win anyway.

Rift Disciple

bump......

Telaran

Default Seems like an easy change

They should make it so if they person is worth the usual 100 prestige & 80 favor, anyone that does damage gets in the equation for how its divided, up to the typical warfront division of 20 prestige, 15 favor. If you heal a person fighting someone else, and do no damage, you should also be added, as you healed someone in the equation.

If 2 people are involved, its 50/40
    If 3 people are involved, its 33/26
    If 4 people are involved, its 25/20
    if 5+ are involved, the usual 20/15

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Dunharrow View Post

This is a bad system and it is antithetical to all logic and a disincentive to cooperating with your own faction. It's time to change it, and a change would be simple: anyone who participates in killing an enemy player should get the same credit.

It shouldn't matter who hits who first, or who's in who's group. If you help kill an enemy, either by killing him or healing someone who kills him, then you get credit for killing him, just as if you were grouped. Let's make this small, sensible change and save a lot of frustration.
    Making it so that everyone gets max credit for the kill will only further encourage zerging. The tagging system is bad and needs to be changed but changing it to a system which allows for uncapped zergs to get the same rewards as a smaller group is a flaw.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    Making it so that everyone gets max credit for the kill will only further encourage zerging. The tagging system is bad and needs to be changed but changing it to a system which allows for uncapped zergs to get the same rewards as a smaller group is a flaw.
    Open World PvP is about large numbers of people fighting large scale battles. If you want small, group focused PvP, you have that in Warfronts.

Open World PvP rules should encourage large groups to form and engage each other.

I agree with the OP, remove "tagging" from PCs in the open world.

Soulwalker

Wow.

After reading the nerf Slip Away thread it's nice to read something sensible.

Good idea. Please implement this Trion.

Telaran

Honestly should of been implemented at the very start if your goal is to actual make world pvp somewhat viable.

I can just "amen, bro" this. Super annoying actually.

Ascendant

i really hope they change their pvp tap system, it's getting a bit annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbourne View Post
    All I see is your team gettin rolled but managing to win anyway.

Telaran

Agreed. I've actually stopped world PVP'ing due to this very issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast