+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A solution to Group Queues

Lightbulb A solution to Group Queues

I recently made a post about how Rated PvP should be implemented and how it would benefit this game greatly. While I do believe it would also fix this problem, Trion is probably against rated play enough that I feel that I should explain an interim fix. If you'd like to read my solution about Rated PvP, the link is in my signature.

The main thing they need to eliminate is sync queuing. Now, I know this is the only way group queues are viable at the moment, but it's a two edged sword. People use sync queuing because they find there is a longer wait with group queuing. That leads to less people group queuing and even longer waits. Finally, no one group queues and everyone sync queues. Basically it's a blight killing the thing that it supposedly fixes.

So let's get down to the point, without sync queueing there will be times where group queueing must be mixed in with solo queues in order to keep the wait time down. That means we have to fix the group queue system. Here's my simple steps how to do so:
    1. Give the group an option to flag for the pug queue as a last resort - Right now it won't put the groups in the solo queue if a group match(not necessarily the same one) has been made in x minutes. I say if a group flags itself for pug play after 3-5 minutes if it cant find a suitable match they are put into pug play.
    2. Groups that enter pug play need to earn less favor/prestige - This should be based on the number of people who grouped queue. So a group of 2 should earn closer to what they would have if they soloed queued than a full raid. Yes they will earn less, but this should be offset in that they win faster due to organization.
    3. Sync Queuing needs to be considered an exploit - For this to all work sync queuing cant be allowed. It would give an unfair prestige/favor gain to the groups who use it and they should be punished accordingly.

If these three things are implemented, the amount of groups that use group queue should increase. This should mean that less premades fight pugs, but leaves the option if there isn't a big enough pool to pull from. The favor/prestige nerf for groups should make it where pugs dont feel completely taken advantage of all the time. It should also make some people not flag for the pug queue, especially in times when getting a premade match is easier. I think it'd fix things just fine.

I still feel rated play is the way to go, but this would be a step in the right direction giving premade groups more chances to evolve the metagame instead of roflstomping pugs. I'm not angry about anything, just feel that group PvP should be more competitive and don't feel right with Sync Queuing.

Discuss, pick apart, or whatever, just please be constructive.

Rift Disciple

How do you propose to eliminate sync queueing?

Quote Originally Posted by Deicidium View Post
    How do you propose to eliminate sync queueing?
    If it's considered an exploit, players will actively flag a group that is sync queued. It'll be obvious as their favor gains will be on par with the rest and it will be obvious that they are a premade. A short investigation should show that they are doing it as everything is logged in the game and it should be broken due to penalties put against offenders.

Other ways would be to change how the queue system works entirely to not allow it, but thats even more work than what I'm suggesting.
    Last edited by Quasari Nova; 08-12-2011 at 03:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread