+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Mages Versus Anything that Moves

Default Mages Versus Anything that Moves

I am really confused.

I cancelled my account a week back. Out of boredom while waiting for Netflix to finish loading up a season of a show, I decided to try mage again. Maybe I was too harsh or maybe I just raged out.

Nope.

Got into a Warfront, had 2 warriors and a cleric killing my entire team (while I of course rode around to get bent over inside their base or the approach to it). I finally got tired of dying aimlessly, so I tried to come in and down the cleric WITH MY TEAM (notice, I didn't John Wayne this). As soon as they spotted the Dominator behind the rock, got charged, hit squirrel, popped Storm Shackle, ran like hell. I turned to see it do 355, 482 (crit...) on a warrior. Hit squirrel again and dropped Traitorous Influence, followed by a Void Bolt. The VB hit for a crucifying 552 crit. Mind you, I am almost Pres3...but how in the hell is this even fun? The damage is piss poor low, warriors are 2-3 shotting, rogues are immune to everything every few seconds and can do so on command, and each them have 2-3 ways to close distance. Tried Chloro, 2-3 shot and only healing was from my AoE instant cast.
    Tried Pyro, got to do all kinds of abilities, none of which even brought a target below 75% hp before they killed me.

Can I get 3+ Flicker abilities?
    or can I get a Tailwinds with no charge requirement (or possibly leave charge requirement but make it REMOVE all snares/slows/bs and keep me immune to it while it's up? like 'On the Double')
    or can I get damage to come close to warriors?
    or can I get immunity to 90% of the game every few seconds on command?
    or can the mages be made useful?

I understand warriors are the FotM and all that crap...but come on. The mage calling is disgustingly weak, I can't even play. The Defiants are mostly assclowns and fools, running around in center while carrier runs beside/through them. So it usually leaves me and 1-2 others doing the work.

If mages are glass cannons, give us firepower. If mages are intended to be stationary turrets, give us nearly unbreakable defenses. If mages are intended to be played at all, give us something!

I cancelled last week...and I see I was mistaken in hoping that myself and 3-4 others cancelling would make a difference.

Another game enters Warhammer Online's category of a great opportunity squandered.

-Hate

P.S. - for those of you who might go "L2P" or some such nonsense. Post some screenshots or try explaining your spec. If you are so ungodly good, please share with another mage before you become the last of your calling. I have tried every spec I can conceivably guess to be at least fair. The only spec I even survive on is Pyro and the damage is so low it is useless. Dominator can temporarily stop the entire enemy team for 10-15 seconds. Then I am useless.
    Last edited by Hateborne; 08-11-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar

You are rank 2 man.. That's attainable after 1 day of level 50. You are playing against people who have been earning PvP gear for 6 months. The game is heavily gear dependent. Yes, it sucks. Low rank mage is fodder in a wf, but a R7/8 mage will also tear you a new one.
    Last edited by baph; 08-11-2011 at 09:49 PM.

A good mage can beat anything 1v1

Quote Originally Posted by baph View Post
    You are rank 2 man.. That's attainable after 1 day of level 50. You are playing against people who have been earning PvP gear for 6 months. The game is heavily gear dependent. Yes, it sucks. Low rank mage is fodder in a wf, but a R7/8 mage will also tear you a new one.
    This, a good geared (geared being the key word, if your in rank 2 gear trying to kill a rank 7/8 then you deserve to die just for being an idiot) one will also cause a lot of problems for people. Just takes knowing what to do to keep from getting focused.
    Last edited by Robes; 08-11-2011 at 10:11 PM.
    Teddro - Warrior - Seastone

Synna - Rogue - Vigil

Synna Stonecove/Invalid Target for all those darkfall people

Quote Originally Posted by Hateborne View Post
    I am really confused.

I cancelled my account a week back. Out of boredom while waiting for Netflix to finish loading up a season of a show, I decided to try mage again. Maybe I was too harsh or maybe I just raged out.

Nope.

Got into a Warfront, had 2 warriors and a cleric killing my entire team (while I of course rode around to get bent over inside their base or the approach to it). I finally got tired of dying aimlessly, so I tried to come in and down the cleric WITH MY TEAM (notice, I didn't John Wayne this). As soon as they spotted the Dominator behind the rock, got charged, hit squirrel, popped Storm Shackle, ran like hell. I turned to see it do 355, 482 (crit...) on a warrior. Hit squirrel again and dropped Traitorous Influence, followed by a Void Bolt. The VB hit for a crucifying 552 crit. Mind you, I am almost Pres3...but how in the hell is this even fun? The damage is piss poor low, warriors are 2-3 shotting, rogues are immune to everything every few seconds and can do so on command, and each them have 2-3 ways to close distance. Tried Chloro, 2-3 shot and only healing was from my AoE instant cast.
    Tried Pyro, got to do all kinds of abilities, none of which even brought a target below 75% hp before they killed me.

or can I get a Tailwinds with no charge requirement (or possibly leave charge requirement but make it REMOVE all snares/slows/bs and keep me immune to it while it's up? like 'On the Double')

I understand warriors are the FotM and all that crap...but come on. The mage calling is disgustingly weak, I can't even play. The Defiants are mostly assclowns and fools, running around in center while carrier runs beside/through them. So it usually leaves me and 1-2 others doing the work.

If mages are glass cannons, give us firepower. If mages are intended to be stationary turrets, give us nearly unbreakable defenses. If mages are intended to be played at all, give us something!

I cancelled last week...and I see I was mistaken in hoping that myself and 3-4 others cancelling would make a difference.

Another game enters Warhammer Online's category of a great opportunity squandered.

-Hate

P.S. - for those of you who might go "L2P" or some such nonsense. Post some screenshots or try explaining your spec. If you are so ungodly good, please share with another mage before you become the last of your calling. I have tried every spec I can conceivably guess to be at least fair. The only spec I even survive on is Pyro and the damage is so low it is useless. Dominator can temporarily stop the entire enemy team for 10-15 seconds. Then I am useless.
    How can you judge how strong Mages are if you are Prestige 2 and don't live long enough to cast more than a few spells?

Hint: They're very good at max valor. They might not be the archetypal glass cannons that light things up. But they're a pain, and are worth having in a WF.
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

Hint: They're very good at max valor. They might not be the archetypal glass cannons that light things up. But they're a pain, and are worth having in a WF.
    So that's the only time a mage is actually good in pvp when he/she is at the very end game... Don't you see the problem here? Obviously not, you probably don't play one, and yes, mages are the weakest most squishiest of the classes. I have yet to play an MMO that actually got the PVP mage class right. Glass Cannons? HA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dcincali View Post
    So that's the only time a mage is actually good in pvp when he/she is at the very end game... Don't you see the problem here? Obviously not, you probably don't play one, and yes, mages are the weakest most squishiest of the classes. I have yet to play an MMO that actually got the PVP mage class right. Glass Cannons? HA!!!
    how's this different from any other calling?
    <The Unnamed> GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11
    Lace - Whitefall- R8 Warrior
    Mythril - Whitefall- R8 Cleric

Rift Disciple

I dont want to hear a mage cry i watch my guildie always top damage with most killing blows as a mage every warfront mages and clerics as dps are op not the damn warrior they keep crying to nerf and like fools trion keeps listening
    Last edited by Belbe; 08-12-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Rift Disciple

Yeah like aoe damage matters. It just gets healed away easily. Warriors always top the KBs. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by dcincali View Post
    No, I don't. Cause every class gets blown up to high heaven at R2. The OP parachamps melt even with pocket healers and don't do any damage. The Rogues are free favor. And the unkillable Clerics are very killable.

Why do you have the balance around an average warfront when there are varying amount of gear gaps between players and classes. How would you propose to balance around that?

End-game there is the assumption of gear parity that everyone has the capacity to reach. There is not a teamwork barrier, a coordination barrier, or a skill barrier that seperates those who have gear or those who do not. The only barrier is time. It is the only setting where some of the variables are constant and actual comparisons/determinations of class balance can be made.

So yes, I absolutely believe in balancing around the end-game.
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

Plane Touched

There's no way mages should be cannon fodder up to prestige 6-8....no way. That's a lot of time invested to finally be viable, and then what do you do after getting to prestige 8 with all the gear? You've successfully hit a wall with no further progression, yet have just become competitive?

How is that fun??

I'd rather bash my head off a wall then get killed constantly for months on end.
    Surah - Lvl 50/P4/T2 Kelari Mage - Molinar
    Surax - Lvl 50 Bahmi Warrior - Molinar

Rift Disciple

Default ^^ lol @ his remark warriors usually have most kb's

******** almost every warfront mages have most killing blows open your eyes
    The real op classes are clerics and mages as dps trion

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Robes View Post
    This, a good geared (geared being the key word, if your in rank 2 gear trying to kill a rank 7/8 then you deserve to die just for being an idiot) one will also cause a lot of problems for people. Just takes knowing what to do to keep from getting focused.
    So joining warfronts before being rank 7/8 makes you an idiot?! How do you get there in the first place? I appreciate that you can switch targets, but the idea that there are those in the warfront who it is considered ridiculous for lower level players to attack suggets there is something wrong.

Shadowlander

Wow so you're playing a dominator and expecting to be outdamaging people? Yeah you should be critting for 1-2k instead of 300-500... Completely CC_fak everybody and then do warrior damage. That wouldn't be OP. A dominator is used to CC the other team not to waste them down with dps. If you want to dps, be a stormcaller or a pyro. Try to think objectively before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hateborne View Post
    I am really confused.

Nope.

-Hate

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
    Wow so you're playing a dominator and expecting to be outdamaging people? Yeah you should be critting for 1-2k instead of 300-500... Completely CC_fak everybody and then do warrior damage. That wouldn't be OP. A dominator is used to CC the other team not to waste them down with dps. If you want to dps, be a stormcaller or a pyro. Try to think objectively before you post.
    Wait, did you just say if you want to dps....play a Pyro?
    Surah - Lvl 50/P4/T2 Kelari Mage - Molinar
    Surax - Lvl 50 Bahmi Warrior - Molinar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast