+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Nerfing weekend warfront bonus is a mistake

  1. #1
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    771

    Default Nerfing weekend warfront bonus is a mistake

    I don't know exactly how much Trion nerfed the weekend bonus warfronts, but I have to say a nerf of any amount is not really necessary, and in fact counter-productive. The weekend bonus for alternate mode warfronts really made a big difference in getting people to try PVP rather than seeing it as a never ending grind. The change helped to offset the pvp rank disparity between those who play 24/7, and those who work or go to school and play mostly on weekends.

    Of course some people are going to play all day and grind out the ranks, but they are not a majority. It seems like the alternate mode WF prestige bonus was nerfed due to the few who made it a point to grind all weekend. By nerfing this now, you have actually implemented a system that further disadvantages casual players rather than helping them. The people who farmed it got closer to being max prestige, while the casual player has to grind in slow-mode again. If you just left it the way it was, the 24/7 players will max out and the rest will catch up over time, but not be so far behind.

    Honestly some people will be in here any minute to complain but the reality is they are likely either 1)The 24/7 player who always burn through content and complain for moar, or 2) people who run premades and dislike the bonus warfront crowds that mess up their 3,2,1 solo queueing..

    I enjoyed the instant queues and mass pvp interest last weekend. I'd like to see it remain.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Puzzlebox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalflaw View Post
    I don't know exactly how much Trion nerfed the weekend bonus warfronts, but I have to say a nerf of any amount is not really necessary, and in fact counter-productive. The weekend bonus for alternate mode warfronts really made a big difference in getting people to try PVP rather than seeing it as a never ending grind. The change helped to offset the pvp rank disparity between those who play 24/7, and those who work or go to school and play mostly on weekends.

    Of course some people are going to play all day and grind out the ranks, but they are not a majority. It seems like the alternate mode WF prestige bonus was nerfed due to the few who made it a point to grind all weekend. By nerfing this now, you have actually implemented a system that further disadvantages casual players rather than helping them. The people who farmed it got closer to being max prestige, while the casual player has to grind in slow-mode again. If you just left it the way it was, the 24/7 players will max out and the rest will catch up over time, but not be so far behind.

    Honestly some people will be in here any minute to complain but the reality is they are likely either 1)The 24/7 player who always burn through content and complain for moar, or 2) people who run premades and dislike the bonus warfront crowds that mess up their 3,2,1 solo queueing..

    I enjoyed the instant queues and mass pvp interest last weekend. I'd like to see it remain.
    This is one of the few times I don't disagree with you.

    The power grinders will hit R8 obscenely fast regardless.
    It REALLY helps low-rank players or fresh 50 alts catch up.
    And there was huge interest in all things PvP at a time when guilds aren't really typically doing crazy progression raiding.

    The premades won't complain, by the way. If you're on a not-horribly-pop-imbalanced server, you'll see faster pops when everyone's actively queueing in
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

    puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalflaw View Post
    I don't know exactly how much Trion nerfed the weekend bonus warfronts, but I have to say a nerf of any amount is not really necessary, and in fact counter-productive. The weekend bonus for alternate mode warfronts really made a big difference in getting people to try PVP rather than seeing it as a never ending grind. The change helped to offset the pvp rank disparity between those who play 24/7, and those who work or go to school and play mostly on weekends.

    Of course some people are going to play all day and grind out the ranks, but they are not a majority. It seems like the alternate mode WF prestige bonus was nerfed due to the few who made it a point to grind all weekend. By nerfing this now, you have actually implemented a system that further disadvantages casual players rather than helping them. The people who farmed it got closer to being max prestige, while the casual player has to grind in slow-mode again. If you just left it the way it was, the 24/7 players will max out and the rest will catch up over time, but not be so far behind.

    Honestly some people will be in here any minute to complain but the reality is they are likely either 1)The 24/7 player who always burn through content and complain for moar, or 2) people who run premades and dislike the bonus warfront crowds that mess up their 3,2,1 solo queueing..

    I enjoyed the instant queues and mass pvp interest last weekend. I'd like to see it remain.
    People get all the pvp gear. They get bored. They leave the game. PvP dies.

    Trion should slow this process down as much as possible.
    Last edited by Hajax; 08-10-2011 at 07:05 PM.

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hajax View Post
    People get all the pvp gear. They get bored. They leave the game. PvP dies.

    Trion should slow this process down as much as possible.
    except when people are reaching r8 in the first week both legit and through exploiting pvp rifts. You don't grandfather **** like this.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Puzzlebox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hajax View Post
    People get all the pvp gear. They get bored. They leave the game. PvP dies.

    Trion should slow this process down as much as possible.
    Fresh 50s and new players start the ever extending PvP grind. They get smashed by players who've already done it. It takes longer to catch up. They get frustrated. They leave the game. The people who did the smashing are also bored and leave the game. PvP dies from people leaving on either spectrum.
    Last edited by Puzzlebox; 08-10-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    r40 puzzlybox <rise of mayhem> whoo whoo
    r40 pizzabox wheeeeeeeee

    puzzlebox + apoth = <3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

  6. #6
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hajax View Post
    People get all the pvp gear. They get bored. They leave the game. PvP dies.

    Trion should slow this process down as much as possible.
    Instead you would have:

    A small percentage of people get rank 8 godmode geared. New players cannot kill them or ever catch up, especially losing. They quit rift without ever having experienced pvp from an equal gearing standpoint.

    By the way, I think as much as people love to throw unsub threats, the more someone builds up a character the less likely they are to leave. The people who find they are lagging behind everyone else, knowing they will never fit enough grind in their schedule to catch up are the ones who usually throw in the towel completely.

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Too slow and people leave before they get anywhere. Look at Aion with its leveling grind. I know a lot of people who quit mid 40's because 48 was like the half way point in XP.

    Make it too easy and everyone is rank 8 and its boring.

    I think they should have it on weekends only so it doesn't make it too often but often enough that everyone is rank8.

    I don't know if that's their plan or whatnot as I haven't looked into it but that's what I would do.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlebox View Post
    Fresh 50s and new players start the ever extending PvP grind. They get smashed by players who've already done it. It takes longer to catch up. They get frustrated. They leave the game. The people who did the smashing are also bored and leave the game. PvP dies from people leaving on either spectrum.
    PvPers expect to get beaten by higher ranks. It's what makes getting the ranks mean something and should make them more inclinded to PvP.

    PvPres also want a challenge, so they want to fight equally geared people at the highers levels.

    What happened 'last time' was that the PvPers got to rank 6 and got geared and then they all just left in droves. The people who were serious about PvP were no longer playing ebcause they were bored. And then you got to rank 6 yourself and couldn't blame them because it is boring once you get there. It was made more boring by the fact that there was nobody left to fight.

    The less competitive PvPer came through and thought they were awesome because they were smashing the fresh 50s and anyone serious about mmo pvp had already left. Soon even they got bored and stopped playing.

    The bad pvpers got to rank 6 and thought they were good because even the second teir of pvpers had left and soon they were the only ones left, with a scattering of the really bored competitive pvpers.

    Rank 7/8 came out and a lot of the good PvPers returned. The bads who had finally got to rank 6 didn't know what had hit them and a lot of them started crying and left.

    PvP is ok at the moment because we have a lot of the actual PvPers back. They are all going to leave once they get rank 7/8 geared. And so begins the process again.

    I say we need some more incentives to PvP once geared is obtained. Or we need to slow down the gear gain if they can't be bothered providing any incentives.

    This is not a theory - this is what did happen and what will happen. You can say good pvpers pvp to pvp but the truth is that good pvper are competitive by nature - good pvpers want to win and get things to show for it. Bad pvpers who think they are good are not really that competitive and they go on about how they pvp for the sake of it.

    I'm not saying pvp for the sake of it never happens and is not fun . . . but I am saying that the best pvpers tend to be competitive types who will get bored of that evenutally if there is nothing to work towards or to reward them with. It's the nature of the beast.

  9. #9
    Plane Walker DiamondDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    406

    Default ...

    The GRANDFATHERING is the bull sheet. When you let 2% get P8 and then say "ok, now we are slowing it", that that SUCKS for everyone else stuck behind the slow train.
    Rogue: 0/0 HK or any other PVE content. Over 120+ days /played in PVP content exclusively as an Assassin. (yes, 2800 hours)
    Yes, I know MM and NB rule. No, I don't want to switch to a MM. Yes, I know they are the best. No, again, I'd rather improve Assassins.

  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    91

    Default

    The biggest problem is that it's been nerfed too fast.

    It is unfair on those that were away for that weekend (I myself was on holiday) which in the great scheme of things - a very short amount of time to NEED to be online to keep up.

    Now we just have to play catch up for the rest of eternity. I thought this game was meant to be casual player friendly? I wasn't aware I had to take a desktop computer with me to play for a specific 2-3 days and find myself now probably more than a week behind.

    I finally understand how all the players felt about the end of the Death world event, oh wait, I was working in the couple of hours that that had occurred as well!

    EDIT: So I'll be expecting my 100k valor apology token in the mail thanks
    Last edited by Vanthel; 08-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    I feel sorry for all the poor bastards that didn't grind out 300K+ favor/prestige over the uber weekend with the rest of the poopsockers. Hell, I only did evenings and I pulled out well over 200K prestige, and 85%+ of R4 to R5. Super hardcores that packed it in all weekend could have easily nailed 500K+ and halfway to R6 (or from R6 to R7 and beyond).

    But, now it's nerfed. Back to watching R1s getting rolled by keyboard-turning R6+ players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    I try to make everything I say signature worthy.

  12. #12
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isila View Post
    I feel sorry for all the poor bastards that didn't grind out 300K+ favor/prestige over the uber weekend with the rest of the poopsockers. Hell, I only did evenings and I pulled out well over 200K prestige, and 85%+ of R4 to R5. Super hardcores that packed it in all weekend could have easily nailed 500K+ and halfway to R6 (or from R6 to R7 and beyond).

    But, now it's nerfed. Back to watching R1s getting rolled by keyboard-turning R6+ players.
    Actually, seen a couple legit r8s already. There are even more exploiting the PvP rifts who hit r8 though, but they will PROBABLY get rolled back/temp banned.

  13. #13
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hajax View Post
    PvPres also want a challenge, so they want to fight equally geared people at the highers levels.
    Hardly.

    The whole reason the 'hardcore' rush to max level and work to outgear everyone else is so there is no challenge and they can roll the majority of undergeared players for easy lolz and ego pumping.

    You're not doing anyone a favor by extending the slow hard grind to rank 8 until people are finally able to compete at a equal footing before it's increased yet again.

  14. #14
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    771

    Default

    I don't see people leaving in droves because they hit max rank. I see plenty who would leave if we went back to long queue times and they had nobody to kill..

    What really bothers me about this is that the bonus for alternate mode warfronts was presented in a way that indicated it would be sticking around for a while. I'm sure if Trion had actually told people it would only be a double bonus for one weekend, many more would have made it a point to grind out the extra rank then and there if they had the time to do so.

    Anyone who isn't at least part of the way through rank 7 at this point missed the boat, while the others got a shortcut to r8. This problem is compounded by the fact that R 7/8 gear is far better than R6. Just look at the dps on the weapons...

  15. #15
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auchter View Post
    pvp is p*ss easy in this game with rank gain far too fast and rewards far too easy and powerful.

    And idiots like the OP want to make it even easier....
    So maybe you're rank 8 already but since you're crying about the gear being too strong I'm going to go with pve scrub who sucks at pvp and wants it nerfed?

    What do I win?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts