+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: So how bad is the ganking on a pvp server?

Default So how bad is the ganking on a pvp server?

I was thinking about transfering my cleric to a pvp server. I'm still a pretty low lvl at the moment but thought it might be a little more fun to play on a pvp server.

That is unless the ganking is just crazy bad.....

Ascendant

On Briarcliff, during Oceanic prime time, I experienced almost no ganking until late game. Once you hit 45 or so you are running in areas where 50s are doing their dailies, so you can experience quite a bit of ganking. Then, once you hit 50 you are still outclassed by a large number of the 50s because they are running around with valor gear, so you continue to get ganked.

If you can find daily and rift groups to join, it helps.

Kind of weird compared to other MMORPGs I've experienced, but very little ganking when you are leveling... a lot at endgame.

All in all, it's not so bad anyway. The death penalty is mild, and usually there are respawn points close to wherever you are.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

The ganking is low because the world is cluttered with annoying mobs that agro, and there's no real reason to ever leave your capital city until 50.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by BSC14 View Post
    I was thinking about transfering my cleric to a pvp server. I'm still a pretty low lvl at the moment but thought it might be a little more fun to play on a pvp server.

That is unless the ganking is just crazy bad.....
    once in a while you encounter the 10 year old (mentally) who sat in warfronts to get gear and feels it necessary to camp lowbies (usually cause they suck at pvp). just go to a different area for a while or wait for a 50 from you faction to show up and then they run away.

But for the most part it is more fun on a pvp server, it gives you that one more element to break up the boredom. Getting some of your own ganking is fun too. Just keep it at your own level range and dont camp (kill them once and be done with it) cause you never know who might have that rank 8 50 to come mess your day up.

Whitefall EU.

You know, I try to leave ppl alone. I don't go ganking everything that walks and I try to stay out of ppl's bussiness. But those defiants...mostly the rogues and mages, sometimes clerics, never warriors...7/10 times they attack.
    Well I'm playing a sin rogue now and yes it's the calling-build most effective for 1v1 and wpvp. I'll probably do some pre-emptive ganking as payback.

All in all, it's all good on pvp realms. It would be boring without the feeling of always needing to be ready for a fight.

Level 50s ganking lowbies is ****ing gay, for the record to those whom it may concern.
    Last edited by Chomag; 08-10-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Ascendant

I found my first pvp shard to be insufferable. Ganking throughout the levelling. People sitting cloaked at the top of frequented areas so they could push lowbies off the top. Constant harassment by R50 players on R30's trying to down bosses. I can't imagine doing this water saga quest on briarcliff without people running interference on the ice delivery run just because lol u.

The interesting flavor got old really fast, and on the whole the positives faded and left only the obstructive gameplay.
    Last edited by PFalcon; 08-10-2011 at 10:06 AM.

I never understand this idea people have that on a PvP server every step you take, someone is going to jump out at you and kill you.

I consider myself a "carebear" and I've always rolled on PvP servers. I like the added danger that I could be killed at anytime. I've been playing Rift on a PvP since the head start. I get ganked maybe once a week. They fight me, (usually) kill me and move on. I've never been camped or anything like that.

Just try it. If it is too much you can easily transfer to a PvE server.

I leveled three chars on a PvP server before it died and I moved, and I can honestly count on one hand the times I was ganked pre-50

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Koolthulu View Post
    I never understand this idea people have that on a PvP server every step you take, someone is going to jump out at you and kill you.
    I suppose it depends a lot on how a game is designed.

Allods had the dreaded Asee-Teph, which had one of the best locations for open world PvP and some PvE reasons for max level characters to go there, even though it was the earliest PvP area in the game, full of lowbie quests. Before they created a way for lowbies to nuke level caps, it was a constant gankfest, especially in the rep grind area. And leveling without your next set of rep gear in that game was a pain.

Rift doesn't really encourage fifties to run across lowbies a lot, though r6+ players have reasons to run around in the same places as fresh fifties, so you do get some "a ganker may be around any corner" effect. Especially with the popularity of perma-stealthing sins.

It all depends on the game.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

...now post-50. Yeah.

My server (like many) has a drastic numbers imbalance - in my case, defiant heavy, and I play guardian.

My assassin can do his dailies, mostly because he can stealth. So he only gets ganked about a dozen times in trying to do his dailies in Stillmoor - enemy stealthers, groups, etc.

My mage - to be honest, I dont even bother trying to do dailies on him anymore unless it's the shimmersand one. The Iron Pines one he can do if I have all day - I'll get ganked repeatedly, but I can usually manage through perserverence to get my quests done. But stillmoor - forget it; he'll get killed and camped long before he gets near any of the corpse blossoms or charhounds.

So, my advice - find a server that's heavy for your side if you want to do your dalies. For defiant, just randomly pick a server - odds are with you. For guardians... well... good luck, anyway!

Freeholme is awesome. Defiants outnumber Guardians by alot, but no ganking until 50. But there are a bunch of Defiants around the lower areas that are equal level, so it ebcomes a ton of fun.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

I'm on cloudeborne EU and now there is pretty much no ganking, because there are pretty much no guardians. rarely there will be a rogue ganking at zareph's, and sometimes there will be a guardian running around, and I make sure to kill them. when I was leveling the zones were more populated and I got fights pretty often, only got ganked (aka much higher level or numbers) a few times.

Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar

I'm on cloudeborne EU and now there is pretty much no ganking, because there are pretty much no guardians. rarely there will be a rogue ganking at zareph's, and sometimes there will be a guardian running around, and I make sure to kill them. when I was leveling the zones were more populated and I got fights pretty often, only got ganked (aka much higher level or numbers) a few times.

Wow, so the factions are that unballanced?

Quote Originally Posted by BSC14 View Post
    Wow, so the factions are that unballanced?
    Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast