+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: PvP Warfronts - Expert Warfronts?

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    28

    Lightbulb PvP Warfronts - Expert Warfronts?

    Just had a random thought that I found very interesting, and hopefully worthy of discussion (And it already hasn't been discussed)..

    It occurred to me that we have tiered instances for PvE, where you have regular instances anyone can run, and then you have expert instances. High level players can run either, at their desecration with the understanding that the regular instances won't reward them as well as an expert run can.

    Now if I'm not mistaken, the development team has already executed a brilliant maneuver to get people to spend their favor rather than hording it until they can afford higher rank equipment, by making them purchase the previous tiers to get the higher ones. This has the effect of improving, if ever so slightly, the survivability of new players as they work up the ranks, rather than being meat sacks until they get decent equipment and hopefully makes it a little more enjoyable.

    I say we take it to the next logical step, and create "expert" warfronts!

    These warfronts would be identical to the current ones, with the exception that only rank 5 (Negotiable) or up can queue up for them, and in addition to rewarding favor, they will also reward another type of currency (I know, I know, we don't need more of those, but still.. bare with me!) that will be used to purchase higher ranking PvP gear.

    The benefits:

    1) This will have a natural segregating effect between brand new level 50's, and old veterans whose gear almost always assures them of a victory, i.e, stops us newbs from getting steamrolled.

    2) Nothing will stop those higher rank PvP'ers from joining standard warfronts, but much like instances, they won't be rewarded as generously.

    3) Challange! The expert warfronts will be where good PvP'ers go for a good fight. While rank has no impact on skill, you at least know there will be some equipment normalization, so the odds of getting a more fair and fun fight are much higher. And possibly shorter queue times!

    The only major negative I can see with this is synonymous with a positive: This will have a natural segregating effect between brand new level 50's, and old veterans. While they may be getting steamrolled, there is still the ability to learn from what the higher ranking players are doing. But then again, nothing really stops higher ranked players from joining anyway.

    Thoughts? Comments?

  2. #2
    Champion Naria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maine, US
    Posts
    555

    Default

    People have been discussing this for ages. I think they intend to eventually, but only after a sufficient amount of the population is above rank whatever-they-decide.

    The issue comes in queue times. If you segment the playerbase further without going about it just right, it can result in waiting for a warfront for 15 minutes instead of 5. And that might not seem like a lot, but try doing warfronts all day, it adds up.

    Further, I'm not against it, but not convinced that these tiered warfronts should offer anything extra, as, really, that's what the higher ranks are for anyway.

    If they're Opt-in, maybe more prestige and favor, if they're mandatory to join after a certain rank, it should be nothing extra, imo.

    I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    36

    Default

    I agree a ranked system is way over due... (so so tired of being fodder for rank 6s...oh wait ...there are new ranks...so new levels of ZERO FUN FACTOR ahead)...I really like pvp and prefer it to normal pve stuffs...but, until they fix it...my 50s will be stalled out at their current ranks....no fun spawning and dying in one or two hits..rinse and repeat (10 to 15 times in a battle (and yes I am geared)...as to the rewards....I don't agree there needs to be different rewards...my two cents

  4. #4
    Ascendant Original_Hellfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In your mom's bed
    Posts
    2,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorrick View Post
    Just had a random thought that I found very interesting, and hopefully worthy of discussion (And it already hasn't been discussed)..

    It occurred to me that we have tiered instances for PvE, where you have regular instances anyone can run, and then you have expert instances. High level players can run either, at their desecration with the understanding that the regular instances won't reward them as well as an expert run can.

    Now if I'm not mistaken, the development team has already executed a brilliant maneuver to get people to spend their favor rather than hording it until they can afford higher rank equipment, by making them purchase the previous tiers to get the higher ones. This has the effect of improving, if ever so slightly, the survivability of new players as they work up the ranks, rather than being meat sacks until they get decent equipment and hopefully makes it a little more enjoyable.

    I say we take it to the next logical step, and create "expert" warfronts!

    These warfronts would be identical to the current ones, with the exception that only rank 5 (Negotiable) or up can queue up for them, and in addition to rewarding favor, they will also reward another type of currency (I know, I know, we don't need more of those, but still.. bare with me!) that will be used to purchase higher ranking PvP gear.

    The benefits:

    1) This will have a natural segregating effect between brand new level 50's, and old veterans whose gear almost always assures them of a victory, i.e, stops us newbs from getting steamrolled.

    2) Nothing will stop those higher rank PvP'ers from joining standard warfronts, but much like instances, they won't be rewarded as generously.

    3) Challange! The expert warfronts will be where good PvP'ers go for a good fight. While rank has no impact on skill, you at least know there will be some equipment normalization, so the odds of getting a more fair and fun fight are much higher. And possibly shorter queue times!

    The only major negative I can see with this is synonymous with a positive: This will have a natural segregating effect between brand new level 50's, and old veterans. While they may be getting steamrolled, there is still the ability to learn from what the higher ranking players are doing. But then again, nothing really stops higher ranked players from joining anyway.

    Thoughts? Comments?
    A one star idea from another wf qqer who doesnt want to take his beatings in noob gear.

  5. #5
    jca
    jca is offline
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Original_Hellfire View Post
    A one star idea from another wf qqer who doesnt want to take his beatings in noob gear.
    Actually, seems like a very good idea and not qq. But then i guess you're one who'd rather give out "beating in noob gear" than face people who specifically seek more level competition.

  6. #6
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naria View Post
    People have been discussing this for ages. I think they intend to eventually, but only after a sufficient amount of the population is above rank whatever-they-decide.

    The issue comes in queue times. If you segment the playerbase further without going about it just right, it can result in waiting for a warfront for 15 minutes instead of 5. And that might not seem like a lot, but try doing warfronts all day, it adds up.

    Further, I'm not against it, but not convinced that these tiered warfronts should offer anything extra, as, really, that's what the higher ranks are for anyway.

    If they're Opt-in, maybe more prestige and favor, if they're mandatory to join after a certain rank, it should be nothing extra, imo.
    I don't follow the forums often (Exposure to trolls is hazardous, you know!) so I didn't realize it had been discussed at length before. Thank you for the heads up.

    The intent was that they would be completely opt-in. I figured good PvPer's would want a fair fight. And it seems that endlessly beating on players who would be chronically under-geard wouldn't be that much fun.

    On top of that, the fact that you obtain this gear from doing such a mindless task to net you even greater rewards seemed illogical. Making it so that you'd have to fight something resembling a closer match seemed like a better alternative.

    Shouldn't you actually have to get better or be better to get better rewards? Rather than endlessly slaughter weak players, your primary asset being time, and not a better understanding of how to fight? Doesn't sound all that fun to me, personally. And really, that was the reason for adding another "reward" for playing them - To make the acquisition of higher-tier gear require it, making something more interesting and challenging than the current system.

    But I can certainly agree with tier-saturation, and not having enough to fill expert warfronts.. Especially since it appears that the only thing some people want to do is fight under-geared players.

    Thanks for the discussion!
    Last edited by Vorrick; 08-09-2011 at 11:08 AM.

  7. #7
    Champion Naria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maine, US
    Posts
    555

    Default

    That's true, but I think ostensibly it's harder to make PvP "expert". You can increase the average challenge, but there's always a human factor there to wreck all that.

    I like the idea in concept, but it's hard to give it exactly the same love as expert dungeons.

    Really, we could make it opt-in but have diminished favor/prestige from participating in "low rank" Warfronts more successfully than awarding extra for participation in the higher ones. Simply to get away from another yet-another currency, as I don't really consider that a good option. It will happen eventually, but the system is hard enough to follow now.
    Last edited by Naria; 08-09-2011 at 12:09 PM.

    I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

  8. #8
    Plane Walker Boltswiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    454

    Default

    Make it reward Order of the Eye/Unseen rep and/or Marks of Retribution for winning.
    Pedia < Chronicle > @ Laethys US
    DPS Warrior Gear Spreadsheet - http://tinyurl.com/43qqmar

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts