+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: No valor? No fun.

Default No valor? No fun.

I'm going to try and state this succintly. Over the last week, I've been playing casually after just dinging 50 in warfronts, attempting to get my PvP bang for my buck.

I bought all the non-prestige gear, giving me a whopping 172 valor. I played warfronts all the way to 50. I enjoy PvP quite a bit, across all MMOs.

I am having 0 fun playing Rift as a fresh level 50 with low valor. In a DPS spec, I feel absolutely useless. I plink on people for maybe a 100, maybe 200, meanwhile I get crit for anywhere from 1000 - 2000 damage.

I have been playing a Bard to make it tolerable, but even a lot of that is spent teleporting backwards and hoping my shields can keep me alive for more than a few seconds.

Now, if anyone out there knows something I don't, some magical way to extract the fun from this completely unbalanced situation, I'm all ears. Because as it stands, this is such a crappy way to get into PvP.
    WAR Veteran
    ~Sathera SW/Mage, Astalan AM/Cleric, Taledon KotBS/Rogue, Tigrarus WH/Warrior~

Telaran

I had the same problem starting out. Although, I sucked it up and realized I needed more Valor to eve attempt to try so I simply sat in the back/stayed with my group until I hit r3. From there it became a bit easier.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Satheria View Post
    I'm going to try and state this succintly. Over the last week, I've been playing casually after just dinging 50 in warfronts, attempting to get my PvP bang for my buck.

I bought all the non-prestige gear, giving me a whopping 172 valor. I played warfronts all the way to 50. I enjoy PvP quite a bit, across all MMOs.

I am having 0 fun playing Rift as a fresh level 50 with low valor. In a DPS spec, I feel absolutely useless. I plink on people for maybe a 100, maybe 200, meanwhile I get crit for anywhere from 1000 - 2000 damage.

I have been playing a Bard to make it tolerable, but even a lot of that is spent teleporting backwards and hoping my shields can keep me alive for more than a few seconds.

Now, if anyone out there knows something I don't, some magical way to extract the fun from this completely unbalanced situation, I'm all ears. Because as it stands, this is such a crappy way to get into PvP.
    Haha if you think that is bad you should see me on my mage. I enjoy PvP even though my DoTs tick for like 50 and I can die before I get out of a stun.
    Chronicar Rank 6 mage
    <Squab Squad>

Sadly, you have to do what every new 50 does and grind it out.

I think most people start to really feel the difference around Rank 4, but who knows now that Rank 8 is the maximum.
    [Server] Faeblight
    [Retail] M_1=Chloromancer(D), M_2=Cleric(D), A=Rogue(D)
    [Beta 1-7] Tank (Reaver/Paladin)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
    Sadly, you have to do what every new 50 does and grind it out.

I think most people start to really feel the difference around Rank 4, but who knows now that Rank 8 is the maximum.
    This game is just an endless grind. Wha happens when you hit R8, you run around ganking people, sounds like that will get boring after a while. We need something to aim for, such as rating.
    Last edited by Strykz; 08-09-2011 at 09:44 AM.

I'm well aware of my disparaging situation. I've got to sit there and grind it out.

But am I so wrong in expecting a better, superior experience for my $15 dollars a month? I sit down and play a game to have fun. And if there is almost no way to get that from something I want to do in the game, then I might as well unsubscribe.
    WAR Veteran

Telaran

I'm well aware of my disparaging situation. I've got to sit there and grind it out.

But am I so wrong in expecting a better, superior experience for my $15 dollars a month? I sit down and play a game to have fun. And if there is almost no way to get that from something I want to do in the game, then I might as well unsubscribe.
    I agree, Im setting my expiration date to the day patch 1.5 comes out. If they don't give us PvP players something to aim for I'm out. Trion has already lost over half their PvPers, wonder if they want to lose more.

I'm in solely a PvP guild and people are dropping like flies everyday. They hit r7 and say F it, why hit r8 when theres no point.
    Last edited by Strykz; 08-09-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Grind port till your eyes bleed.

Thats really the only advice i can give, i would stay away from the other war fronts till at least you get some gear to make things a tad more bearable. Chances are you wont even have to fight players for some of your games in port. Yes i know it defeats the purpose, but hey what else are you going to do when you are just a walking punching bag.

If you've been PvPing on the way to 50, you normally will have the Favor to buy the R1 armor and weapons. It does not take long to get R2 and complete your R1/2 set...

...that being said, that might let you live a nanosecond longer against the R7/8s.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    If you've been PvPing on the way to 50, you normally will have the Favor to buy the R1 armor and weapons. It does not take long to get R2 and complete your R1/2 set...

...that being said, that might let you live a nanosecond longer against the R7/8s.
    I just hit P2. I have enough favor to buy everything. It's not helping all that much.
    WAR Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Strykz View Post
    This game is just an endless grind. Wha happens when you hit R8, you run around ganking people, sounds like that will get boring after a while. We need something to aim for, such as rating.
    I never said the grind was OK, just that it was what we all had to do.

I've been wracking my brain on how to make PVP less about "when I get the good gear" and more about, you know, the PVP. And as much as I didn't enjoy the FotM/comp issues of Arena, ratings plus some sort of laddered rated warfront system seems like the only solution.
    [Server] Faeblight
    [Retail] M_1=Chloromancer(D), M_2=Cleric(D), A=Rogue(D)
    [Beta 1-7] Tank (Reaver/Paladin)

Champion of Telara

You picked a game that turned out to be highly item-based for progression. If this general development philosophy runs contrary to what you enjoy, and you do not enjoy the progression path required, then you might want to strongly think about your last sentence.

Many of us are also frustrated with the grind-focused path they've taken. Not even necessarily with the rough climb to 8, but the lack of anything meaningful at the top of the mountain. No rankings, no realm-wide goals, nothing to encourage or reward competition.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Thulium View Post
    I never said the grind was OK, just that it was what we all had to do.

I've been wracking my brain on how to make PVP less about "when I get the good gear" and more about, you know, the PVP. And as much as I didn't enjoy the FotM/comp issues of Arena, ratings plus some sort of laddered rated warfront system seems like the only solution.
    Another option to arena/rankings is DAOC's frontiers endgame. Actions there had big impacts on all members of your realm, and by using the camelot herald on the website you could easily see who is doing what.

It really created purpose and community without using arenas or WoW-like rankings.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    You picked a game that turned out to be highly item-based for progression. If this general development philosophy runs contrary to what you enjoy, and you do not enjoy the progression path required, then you might want to strongly think about your last sentence.

Many of us are also frustrated with the grind-focused path they've taken. Not even necessarily with the rough climb to 8, but the lack of anything meaningful at the top of the mountain. No rankings, no realm-wide goals, nothing to encourage or reward competition.
    I strongly agree with your last sentence. I give this game another month, if the same grind exists. I'm out, along with many other of my PvP guildies.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyrf View Post
    And I am- if I'm not going to enjoy it, there are a lot of others games I own that I can play. But for the money I've already dumped into it, I'm going to have my say. Let them know exactly why I find this completely unentertaining.
    WAR Veteran

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast